X³: TC and AP - Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Garga-Potter
x3tc

Post by Garga-Potter » Sun, 23. Jun 13, 18:53

Not very important, but as soon as I connect to Stream to play, a small horizontal rectangle (about 80x20 px) appears on the upper left corner and sits there while I play AND forever until I restart the laptop.

Kubuntu 13.04 "vanilla" on Dell Latitude E6500 4GB RAM and 256 GB SSD, nvidia graphic card. If you need more info just feel free to ask!
- Never argue with an idiot: he will first take you to his level and then crash you with his experience!
- If you live in a village and never met his fool... start to worry!
- Good Bye, and thanks for all the fish.

marrok
x3tc

Post by marrok » Mon, 24. Jun 13, 11:27

Wendell wrote:
marrok wrote:Both of your problems together arise when there is no connection to Steam present. Perhaps you are playing offline?
As far as I know I'm connected to Steam fine, picture underneath showing my current session timer going up:
Okay, proof enough :)

The I've got three more questions:

1) What do you mean exactly by "DiD is not available"? Is the entry in the "New Game" menu missing completely or is it just greyed out?
2) Is the achievement menu in the game available (During flight: Personal menu <P> -> My achievements ... )?
3) If yes, are the counters in this menu counting correctly? For example, shows "Get Filthy Rich" your current credit account?

I'm positive that this is a Steam problem and has nothing to do with the game. Perhaps the standard "delete local files - reinstall - file verification" cycle could help. If it doesn't, I still wouldn't rule out a connection problem on system level (ports, firewall ... I'm not a Linux pro) which blocks at least some outgoing traffic.
No, I am NOT interested in sector charts! I want a taxi mission!

Build your own XPerimental - without quantum tubes and microchips!

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 24. Jun 13, 11:30

Sorry for the recent silence, I had to spend a week on a different task.

@dhouseholder
Wow that's amazing... Unfortunately we're simply using SDL2 so we don't really interface with x11 and xrandr directly. This will need to be fixed in SDL2 which arguably is the right way either way, since it benefits everything using SDL2.
If you've got the time can you search if it was reported to sdl devs?

@Wendell
Hmm that is a bit strange, you're just running the game normally from steam or through shortcuts created by steam right?

@everyone
I'm currently fixing the config dialogs, which includes mod selection, and I remember someone requested some improvements to how mods are found and selected. So if you have any requests now's the time to tell me;)

Wendell
x3tc

Post by Wendell » Mon, 24. Jun 13, 17:51

@timon37

Running though steam, right clicking the game in my library list > play game. Just ran half life 2 and got an achievement fine on there.

@marrok

The new game option for dead is dead isn't there at all. Achievement list is showing up in game and filthy rich counter showing as 1/100 (which is right). I just put a factory down just to see if I could get the "A Proud Moment Build a factory" achievement but I didn't get it in Steam or in the ingame achievement list. Will remove and manually delete anything that's left in the steam folder overnight.

dhouseholder
x3fl

Post by dhouseholder » Mon, 24. Jun 13, 22:15

timon37 wrote: @dhouseholder
Wow that's amazing... Unfortunately we're simply using SDL2 so we don't really interface with x11 and xrandr directly. This will need to be fixed in SDL2 which arguably is the right way either way, since it benefits everything using SDL2.
If you've got the time can you search if it was reported to sdl devs?
I've searched the libsdl.org forums and bugzilla regarding this problem, no matches. I got on the SDL irc channel and asked my question, they referred me back to the libSDL forums. I would file the bug myself but I'm a telecomm engineer and couldn't speak intelligently about software development.
timon37 wrote: @everyone
I'm currently fixing the config dialogs, which includes mod selection, and I remember someone requested some improvements to how mods are found and selected. So if you have any requests now's the time to tell me;)
Can you make the graphics config dialogue display some standard, safe windowed resolutions? It only shows my laptop DFP native resolution vis-a-vis my RandR problem. Also the graphics config dialogue overwrites config.yaml even if no changes were made.

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Tue, 25. Jun 13, 14:08

timon37 wrote: Sorry for the recent silence, I had to spend a week on a different task.
Working on Rebirth perhaps? :)
timon37 wrote: @everyone
Alright:
Albion Prelude has no ACQ controls in Windows. Does it even work in the Linux version?
No ability to disable the gamepad layout in the loading screens. Windows has it.
View distance always resets to lowest

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 25. Jun 13, 18:11

fallenwizard wrote:Working on Rebirth perhaps? :)
Unfortunately not yet:( But at this point it shouldn't be long until I do start working on it.
fallenwizard wrote:Albion Prelude has no ACQ controls in Windows. Does it even work in the Linux version?
No ability to disable the gamepad layout in the loading screens. Windows has it.
View distance always resets to lowest
There should be a checkbox in the input config dialog "Display Gamepad Layout" and it works for me;p
dhouseholder wrote:I've searched the libsdl.org forums and bugzilla regarding this problem, no matches. I got on the SDL irc channel and asked my question, they referred me back to the libSDL forums. I would file the bug myself but I'm a telecomm engineer and couldn't speak intelligently about software development.
Ok I'll try to deal with it.
dhouseholder wrote: Can you make the graphics config dialogue display some standard, safe windowed resolutions? It only shows my laptop DFP native resolution vis-a-vis my RandR problem. Also the graphics config dialogue overwrites config.yaml even if no changes were made.
Sure no problem I'll do something.
It should only overwrite the file if you click ok, but it will set all of the values regardless of whether you changed them. The game also overwrites the file on every exit (in case of volume changes) which can be annoying.

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Tue, 25. Jun 13, 20:11

timon37 wrote: There should be a checkbox in the input config dialog "Display Gamepad Layout" and it works for me;p
I feel stupid. I was looking for it in the graphics settings menu. Nevermind then :)

hyb
x3tc

How to change language settings in steam

Post by hyb » Tue, 25. Jun 13, 23:44

Hello,

I played X3 on Windows for a while. Today I saw that I can download and install it on Linux, too. I'm glad of it, cause I try never to boot my Win OS! But now, game language is english. It's ok, but I'm used to play it in german. How to change language settings. At steam I find out that it's available in german.

Thank you!

marrok
x3tc

Re: How to change language settings in steam

Post by marrok » Wed, 26. Jun 13, 10:07

hyb wrote:Hello,

I played X3 on Windows for a while. Today I saw that I can download and install it on Linux, too. I'm glad of it, cause I try never to boot my Win OS! But now, game language is english. It's ok, but I'm used to play it in german. How to change language settings. At steam I find out that it's available in german.

Thank you!
The language can be changed via Steam: In the game library, rightclick on the entry "X3: Reunion/Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude"-> Properties->Language->Deutsch

Wendell
x3tc

Post by Wendell » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 14:11

Good news. Since build 6 I am now getting achievements :) Maybe a coincidence but I reinstalled the other day completely and did the start training run, when I completed I didn't get the achievement. I loaded up the game today and as soon as I loaded my save game I got the achievement for being trade rank wholesaler and now just got the flight school achievement aswell.

Can't see anything in the update that would have fixed this though but all that matters is it is working now.

Rinne
x4

Post by Rinne » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 16:59

My game's been fine for a while now, very nice work and thank you very much :)

I have, however, noticed an issue with the View Distance.
Apart from it always being reset at every start, as mentioned by others, it does also not work correctly.

If I set the view distance to very high, the LOD seems to switch to a higher quality level earlier, as is expected.

The Distance in which Objects start to be rendered remains the same for every view distance, though.

This becomes very clear in the sector Akeela's Beacon, where one would be able to oversee all fabs and gates with very high view distance in windows, but can only see two - three fabs at a time in the linux version.

marrok
x3tc

Post by marrok » Mon, 1. Jul 13, 15:04

Hey, TC build 15 seems to be official! No more "Linux beta still on public testing"!

Congrats, timon37, and thanks for porting my #1 timekiller to Linux! The day I read about TC coming out for Linux was my last day as a windows user ... :)

By the way, I've had now 500+ hours of playing without CTD. Never managed to get more than 20 on windows. On the same computer.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 1. Jul 13, 19:07

marrok wrote:Hey, TC build 15 seems to be official! No more "Linux beta still on public testing"!

Congrats, timon37, and thanks for porting my #1 timekiller to Linux! The day I read about TC coming out for Linux was my last day as a windows user ... :)

By the way, I've had now 500+ hours of playing without CTD. Never managed to get more than 20 on windows. On the same computer.
Sorry for killing your productivity;)
Huge thanks also go to all of you, for the feedback and patience:)
Too bad now I shouldn't just insert an abort and (ab)use you to find when it gets triggered, or other such;p
Now truth be told it's not over yet as there are a few issues left, and the mac ports are coming:)

Rinne
x4

Post by Rinne » Wed, 3. Jul 13, 08:53

Wow, already fixed one day after, thanks a lot :)

Please don't work on sundays, though :o

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Thu, 4. Jul 13, 09:50

Some mods have transparency issues. For example the PSCO1 Cockpit Mod and IEX

Screenshots:
PSCO1 Cockpit Mod: http://i.imgur.com/bd2jcWX.jpg
IEX: http://i.imgur.com/WhBLHqL.jpg

Any idea what causes this?

yorikvanhavre
x3ap

Post by yorikvanhavre » Fri, 5. Jul 13, 22:36

Hi there,
I just bought X3 TC and AP on steam, and both games crash at startup (debian testing 64bits, nvidia gtx660m, nvidia driver is 319.17). I launch both games with primusrun (in mesa mode they won't launch at all, not even the launch screen), and I tried every combination from the launch screen. The title image appears, then the game crashes.

I'm sure the nvidia + bumblebee suite works ok, both in 64bits and 32bits, all other 3D apps and games are running fine with it.

This appears on the console:

Code: Select all

ST_LoadCut() cut 8300 loaded
ST_StartFromIndex(8300, 1) found starttime 0, endtime 4000
Switching to Camera Camera01
../src/X3/s_linux/s_movie.cpp : S_OpenMovie : 637 : id 830 flags 256
movloadmovie success: reply=1 (1 / 7)
../src/X3/s_linux/s3d.cpp : RenderInit : 11364 : dStub
../src/X3/s_linux/s3d.cpp : CheckVisibility : 14974 : dPStub: What SHOULD this be, no documentation 
Ive found shows [] operators for this - Confirmed it is the nth float so 8 would be m[1][3]

../src/X3/s_linux/s3d.cpp : RenderExit : 11390 : dStub
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  14 (X_GetGeometry)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x200008
  Serial number of failed request:  113
  Current serial number in output stream:  113
AL lib: ALc.c:2325: exit(): closing 1 Device
AL lib: ALc.c:2247: alcCloseDevice(): destroying 1 Context(s)
AL lib: ALc.c:1848: alcDestroyContext(): deleting 2 Source(s)
AL lib: ALc.c:2257: alcCloseDevice(): deleting 2 Buffer(s)
Game removed: AppID 2820 "X3: Terran Conflict", ProcID 21633 
Sorry if it's not the right place to post this or if this problem is known already, I couldn't find any other reference to it. But it looks like the game should run fine on this machine... Any idea of what I can try?
Thanks
Yorik

*EDIT* Problem solved! It has nothing to do with the game, it's the steam "In Game Community" thing... I disabled it and all works fine now.
Last edited by yorikvanhavre on Mon, 8. Jul 13, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.

driver8086
x4

Post by driver8086 » Sun, 7. Jul 13, 00:53

great work on my favorite game.

im using microsoft sidewinder precision pro js.
its mapped to axis 3 in x3tc config menu.
the indicators work and all, but ingame is another story...

thr throttle range is funny, it will go to full throttle, but when i pull it backwards, throttle only goes down to +37. then i gotta keyboard it for 0.
the -ship speed wont work.

if i invert the scale? i think thats what it does, i can get -ship speed to -10, but forward speed only goes to +47 xD

i need this to work for station building and dog fights.
i tried all kinds of scales from - to +2 but the result is simply not fiving me full forward speed (needed for leaving gates) i fly by hand not autopilocrash.

as i mentioned, inverting it (scale -1) will achieve the -10 speed for building, but its an unacceptable way to do things and breaks the forward speed.

edit: nvm, i think it fixered its self. funny thing, was rulling my mouse wheel back n fourth, now i got full range of speeds now on my js.
maby i got me a hardware glitch instead. ty anyway guys.

wintermute33
x3ap

albion prelude (steam, linux) mute..

Post by wintermute33 » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 01:05

i have purchased the gold box on steam, client running on debian 7.1..
so far, have tried terran conflict and albion prelude..
terran conflict seems to run just fine, albion prelude has no sound at all..
it is very strange, in a sense, the games are very similar (technically, there was no real download of tc once ap was installed, i assume the majority of the software is shared) running on the very same setup, one is fine, the other is mute..
does it maybe have anything to do with installing ap first (as a complete newcomer, my plan was, after reading a few recommendations, to start with it, being the most "noob friendly")..
and generally, if it is a known issue or something a triviality could possibly fix??
thank you..
hope that this issue gets resolved, will start with terran conflict in the meanwhile..

<Merged with Linux Support thread. Alan Phipps>

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 15:17

@fallenwizard hmm could be a lot of things, I'll look into it though not very soon:(

@yorikvanhavre well if the steam overlay only crashes with X3 and not other games something's wrong, and we'll have to fix it sooner or later;p

@driver8086 Not sure if I completely understood, but is the joystick throttle working now (issue caused by X translating the joystick events into mouse events)? Or is it still broken and you're just using the mouse wheel instead?

@wintermute33 afaik everything should be fine.
One thing that comes to mind is if you install TC/AP into a non-default library folder. Not sure if this still happens but steam would put the TC files where you want and the AP files in the default "~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/X3 - Terran Conflict". Also try verifying the game cache for TC/AP and see if it always fails and redownloads files.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”