Arsaneus' Community Game Server

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Elthy
x3ap

Post by Elthy » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 12:02

Arsaneus, when will you restart the server?
I convinced Taumto that Unleashed is the better choice, so afaik there are not that much GrecTech supporters "remaining", perhaps you could start a poll about it.

I have suggestion for the restart, how about a Powersuit for everyone who had one before? Afaik SilentStrom, Loader, AkrionXxaar, amtie, Taumto and me had one, perhaps i forgot someone...

AkrionXxarr
x4

Post by AkrionXxarr » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 12:29

Elthy wrote:I have suggestion for the restart, how about a Powersuit for everyone who had one before? Afaik SilentStrom, Loader, AkrionXxaar, amtie, Taumto and me had one, perhaps i forgot someone...
I actually had quantum armor /w gravichestplate x3 not that I care either way.

Loader009
x3tc

Post by Loader009 » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 15:46

Merroc wrote:After an afternoon of playing I fell of the End, just when i had a near complete power suit with addons (just not the jetpack yet, was going to farm more enderpearls).
Merroc had also one. (I'm not sure if it counts since I'm sure he would have been more careful if he knew that before.)

A powersuit would be nice, but the better thing would be a book to the end and (to not destroy the overworld) a few pages for a quarry age.
I'm not very sure how hard it is to find those pages but I'm sure it's better to have those from the beginning.

Also, a powersuit without those "addons"(?) is not very useful so it's not very important to me.

XGamer
x4

Post by XGamer » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 16:43

Actually Merroc had one too (for about a few hours at least).

Regarding the armor though, I don't know, it certainly makes the world smaller, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about having that right from the beginning, not to mention you're unable to recharge it early on anyway.
PowerTools Mod has become a lot more powerful and the PowerTool is among the best items in the game in my opinion in the new version, however at the same time the armor was nerfed quite a bit. It now produces insane amounts of heat, forcing one to put heavy cooling plates on your armor, reducing the amount of useful stuff you can put in. Also the jump boost only just a mere 6 blocks high now as opposed to 13 it is doing in the current version. The Railgun we all gotten to love so much is now pretty much nerfed to death, as it kind of instant kills you if you fire it more than 3-4 times within 30 seconds.

As for Gregtech, even though it's kind of a showstopper early on and I hated it when I first started playing with GregTech enabled, I really like what it adds for later on, so I'd want to keep it. All the cool machines and opportunities we would be loosing, is just not worth it in my opinion.

Regardless, before the server gets deleted or anything, I'd like to have a copy of the files (excluding the dynmap), that is world files, configs, players, ages etc.
X:BtF: 7/10 | X2: 8/10 | X3:R/TC/AP: 8/10 | X:R: 3/10 | X4: 0/10 (3 points for split ships and stations, 4.0 -> -50 points).
If you are raising pirate activity, give me meaningful ways to deal with them PERMANENTLY. Better things to do than replacing ships every 10 minutes, or babysitting ships getting harassed.
Stopped playing X4 with 4.0 due to outrageous, needless and pointless nerfs to everything. Don't change what wasn't broken in the first place.

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 20:35

Yeah, I'd rather not have any starting tech except pre-set Mystcraft books. Not that I can play anymore...

XGamer
x4

Post by XGamer » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 20:37

amtie wrote:Not that I can play anymore...
Why's that? :(
X:BtF: 7/10 | X2: 8/10 | X3:R/TC/AP: 8/10 | X:R: 3/10 | X4: 0/10 (3 points for split ships and stations, 4.0 -> -50 points).
If you are raising pirate activity, give me meaningful ways to deal with them PERMANENTLY. Better things to do than replacing ships every 10 minutes, or babysitting ships getting harassed.
Stopped playing X4 with 4.0 due to outrageous, needless and pointless nerfs to everything. Don't change what wasn't broken in the first place.

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 21:21

XGamer wrote:Actually Merroc had one too (for about a few hours at least).
More like a few minutes...
Anyway, I'd advise against it. I cheated some in early on in a SP game, it instantly became more boring...

If anything, some starting area where people can produce linked books and alter them to intra-dimension and staying-with-you-modifier + a book to a quarry age and back is the way to go.
That way people wont have to create mystcraft ages (and thus produce lag). And there would be an easy way to go back and to people's places.

Maaaybe a stack of food for everyone as well, but that's stretching.
At any rate, no creating of mystcraft ages to keep lag/server load down.

Arsaneus
x4

Post by Arsaneus » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 21:27

I will certainly not give any power armor or expensive stuff to start our new world. In my opinion the initial digging and mining is the most part of the entire game! No I wish we build up from scratch and take our time doing so.

Maybe we can even make a town together or something big instead of doing our own stuff alone (we could still do that as well)

Anyway...do I read that correctly that "Unleashed" is the modpack to go?

Arsaneus

XGamer
x4

Post by XGamer » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 21:39

If we add GregTech (either by throwing out TC and Natura or by some sort of dirty hack) and re-enable some of the mods that are now disabled by default (most importantly PowerConverters) and it _HAS_ to be done then yes. In its plain old standard config / setup it's missing too much for me to be worth playing however.

I will recheck my config of Unleashed to see what exactly I changed and let you know.
I will probably have to end up having some sort of huge underground cavern filled with stupid BC Tanks to cope with the loss of XyTanks but yeah.

The server has been worse than ever recently, 10 - 20 real time minutes pass for about 2-3 minecraft hours, when 10 minutes should equal 24 hours. I also have been having issues as of late where the client would eat 3 gigs of Ram when being on the server, in the past I was running MC with a 1 gig limit and it was fine, so there is something bad going on.

Elthy
x3ap

Post by Elthy » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 22:08

The high RAM-consumtion is due to the ages, if you switch the worlds often it doesnt seem to erase unused data, so the RAM gets filled slowly...

Adding Gregtech to Unleashed would be cool, but is hard to do, since everyone has to do this manualy (but afaik its possible to upload "private" custom modpacks to FTB). Also nobody knows what happens with updates...

I think its a good idea to start with some community buildings, like a power-plant and alvearys which produce oil (so we dont empty the nether and pump all oil like last time). Perhaps we should prohibit quarrys at the surface of the world, too...

Loader009
x3tc

Post by Loader009 » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 22:10

If I see this right, Unleashed (with non-default config) is the modpack to go.
I've also searched for some private modpacks (FTB with private key) but I couldn't find any Unleashed + GregTech modpack.
(Probably because I don't know where to search for those.)

As Arsaneus said that their won't be any expensive stuff at the start, I'm happy with this.
It's nicer to have a goal at the beginning and this is one of my first goals.

A town is a nice idea but I like big rooms (some of you have seen that my rooms are 5 blocks high - at least).
So I would need a big place which wouldn't fit into a town.
(Theoretically a small entrance with a MystCraft portal together with an "intra-dimension" book would do it also.)

PowerConverters are important and I hope to get them also on the new server.
GregTech, if you want to make it work it's ok but I would like to keep TC.
I'm hoping that those XyTanks will come back some time, but for now we will have to live without them.

PS: My "Machines" (nearly nothing atm) are working, but more or less StandBy. No huge power drain except from the ME-Network (97 EU/t afair).

XGamer
x4

Post by XGamer » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 22:15

I was thinking of doing that, but I don't actually know what their rules / requirements are for having custom packs on the FTB Launcher, I was going to look in to that but haven't had the time to actually do that just yet. I can imagine however that they require you to have a certain amount of users to host your customized pack on the launcher though.
Even if that were to not work out, I (or someone else) could just modify the pack and make it available for download, though it wouldn't be through the FTB Launcher in that case, well you could but you would be unable to play the original Unleashed through the FTB launcher as it would have the modified, custom Unleashed pack instead. I would even look into the server and modify that accordingly as well if need be.

Previously some people build close to spawn, or right next to, so we could change that up and all build a couple hundred blocks away from spawn for our own little area and possibly even a couple hundred blocks away from each other as well, so everyone has enough space. We could then have some sort of town at spawn, with some shops and stuff like that and some nice cool buildings. They don't necessarily have to do much either, but I kind of like the idea of having an area at spawn with some areas layed out for building some sort of house / shop on or something. But we can decide that later on when the time is there and the server is running.

As far as XyCraft goes, the author publicly stated that there will never be a version that is compatible with 1.5.x. He is working on a 1.6 version though but with 1.7 in the pipeline there is no guarantee he will finish that version, he might just as well decide to do a 1.7 version and skip 1.6 as well.
Nobody seems to really know what's up with RP2 since there was no release for almost a whole year.

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 11:00

@XGamer: I'm busy these days with work and stuff so I don't have time to dedicate myself to MC. ;)

You've got to decide on the mod-pack for Arsaneus. Have you guys checked other non-FTB modpacks? Not sure how good Tekkit is these days, and I'm sure there are other modpacks around.

As for living close to spawn, some people prefer certain/specific scenery so not sure how well that would go down.

XGamer
x4

Post by XGamer » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 20:45

To get private packs on FTB you'd need written permission (and proof thereof) from each mod author whoms mods you plan to have in your pack, while there are some general permissions that allow you to include some of the more popular mods in private packs that are distributed to a closed community through FTB Launcher for only a specific server, it would still mean to go through that huge list of mods that allow that kind of inclusion to check whether the ones you want are in that list. I couldn't find that list in any nicely formatted, searchable format. Also for the mods that are not on that list you'd need to do further research to see if they stated elsewhere that you can include their mods in your private packs, if not you'd need to contact the mod author and ask for permission to include it in a pack.

Arsaneus also mentioned wanting to get rid of Mystcraft and mentioned just sticking to ultimate but removing Mystcraft and possibly others, though not sure which ones.

PS: 10 seconds equals about 12 ticks on average now, when it should be 200 ticks :D
Last edited by XGamer on Wed, 18. Sep 13, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Loader009
x3tc

Post by Loader009 » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 20:54

XGamer wrote:To get private packs on FTB you'd need written permission (and proof thereof) from each mod author whoms mods you plan to have in your pack, while there are some general permissions that allow you to include some of the more popular mods in private packs that are distributed to a closed community through FTB Launcher for only a specific server, it would still mean to go through that huge list of mods that allow that kind of inclusion to check whether the ones you want are in that list. I couldn't find that list in any nicely formatted, searchable format. Also for the mods that are not on that list you'd need to do further research to see if they stated elsewhere that you can include their mods in your private packs, if not you'd need to contact the mod author and ask for permission to include it in a pack.
This? -> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... GUEE#gid=0
Funny thing is that I searched a bit today and I don't delete my history. (Time to encrypt for privacy.)
XGamer wrote:Arsaneus also mentioned wanting to get rid of Mystcraft and mentioned just sticking to ultimate but removing Mystcraft and possibly others, though not sure which ones.
Sure that he did?
Afair it was not Arsaneus, he didn't comment any mods, he is pretty neutral. (Except for forestry?)
I hope I remember correctly.

Elthy
x3ap

Post by Elthy » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 20:57

Arsaneus wrote:Anyway...do I read that correctly that "Unleashed" is the modpack to go?
To answer that question everyone should state which modpack he perferes.

Taumtos and my vote would be Unleashed...

XGamer
x4

Post by XGamer » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 21:04

No, actually I did not find that Google Spreadsheet, otherwise I wouldn't have said "non nicely formatted, searchable format" ;)
The Thread I found was much more extensive though, would need to find it again since I do clean histories on occasion.
16:50 Arsaneus: @XGamer I'd prefer to get rid of Mystcraft btw
16:51 XGamer: hmm
16:51 Arsaneus: It makes it too easy to run quarries and just isn't healthy for the server

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 21:10

Hence my suggestion for one quarry age (and possible one other) and restrict users from making more ages.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 21:16

I'm in favour of Unleashed however I feel like having Mystcraft is just a recipe for disaster.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.

Elthy
x3ap

Post by Elthy » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 21:35

It makes it too easy to run quarries
You can place Quarrys in the Overworld, thats easy, too. But it looks so ugly, one quarry hole can destroy a whole landscape...

Return to “Off Topic English”