Arsaneus' Community Game Server

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

AkrionXxarr
x4

Post by AkrionXxarr » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 13:04

I've been playing on another server for the past month or so. xD Got a pair of fusion reactors up and runnin' over there. Elthy - I think you might find deuterium-helium3 to be a better reaction to process fuel for.

You need the two Alkahest items but with the one that isn't a tome you can convert various resources into redstone or lapis. I convert gunpowder into redstone and use the resulting redstone with the tome of alkahest to duplicate end stone. From there it's just a matter of macerating and centrifuging the dust. As a bonus it nets you -plenty- of tungsten.

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 20:37

In a single player game of mine I had an interesting fuel source as well. Charcoal, used to power steam boilers, which in turn made MJ to power harvester/planter. In under an hour, I had like a spare 1000 charcoal and made some generators as well for EU.

Then I upgraded the Unleashed pack and it was giving some mod-missing error.

Anyway, short story shorter, why would you want nuclear/fusion power? For the EU/p?

Edit, as for restart, might I suggest the Unleashed pack. Though ME network is a nightmare to build

Elthy
x3ap

Post by Elthy » Sun, 8. Sep 13, 00:15

Anyway, short story shorter, why would you want nuclear/fusion power? For the EU/p?
Because its cool (look at our fusionreactor room, how would a coalboiler fit in there?). Also its more powerfull and we need the fusionreactor to produce lots of iridium. Iridiumblocks look so nice...
Edit, as for restart, might I suggest the Unleashed pack. Though ME network is a nightmare to build
My vote would be Unhinged, because it includes GregTech...

Loader009
x3tc

Post by Loader009 » Sun, 8. Sep 13, 02:44

Elthy wrote:My vote would be Unhinged, because it includes GregTech...
What?
No GregTech in Unleashed?
Well, I love GregTech, so Unhinged would be my choice.

Btw. aren't we a little bit too fast?
Arsaneus still hasn't said anything about this and we are already considering, which ModPack is the "better" choice.

AkrionXxarr
x4

Post by AkrionXxarr » Sun, 8. Sep 13, 07:07

Unhinged does have GregTech but it's pretty lacking in terms of how many mods there are for it. The entire reason for the unhinged/unleashed split is due to a conflict between the developer of GregTech and the developer of Tinker's Construct in which Tinker's Construct included a recipe to convert 1 log into 4 planks after GregTech changed all the existing recipies to convert 1 log into only 2 planks. After the Tinker's Construct recipe was put in the developer for GregTech decided the best way to protest this was to include code that intentionally crashed the game if it detected Tinker's Construct was installed. As a programmer I've lost quite a bit of respect for the GregTech dev as a result of this because you just don't intentionally write what could essentially be called malicious code if you actually respect the code you write and the users you write it for.

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Sun, 8. Sep 13, 13:21

Well, having gregtech would be cool of course, but not having computercraft, thaumcraft, TinkersConstruct and worst of all Portalgun is quite a miss imho.

About the log things, which mod has the MJ powered Sawmill that turns 1 wood into 6 planks?

As for too fast. We can always discuss. Atm I'm not playing though, so a potential restart is interesting ;).

Elthy
x3ap

Post by Elthy » Sun, 8. Sep 13, 13:52

We are playing, so we are against a restart in the next days...

Loader009
x3tc

Post by Loader009 » Sun, 8. Sep 13, 16:02

AkrionXxarr wrote:As a programmer I've lost quite a bit of respect for the GregTech dev as a result of this because you just don't intentionally write what could essentially be called malicious code if you actually respect the code you write and the users you write it for.
Agreed
Merroc wrote:Well, having gregtech would be cool of course, but not having computercraft, thaumcraft, TinkersConstruct and worst of all Portalgun is quite a miss imho.

About the log things, which mod has the MJ powered Sawmill that turns 1 wood into 6 planks?

As for too fast. We can always discuss. Atm I'm not playing though, so a potential restart is interesting ;).
All those mods (except TinkersConstruct, I don't know what it is/does) are pretty cool, so you are kind of right.

And yes, we can always discuss and there are not very much player active right now (I'm thinking to take a break,
as long as it's not decided... I don't want to spend time in something that might be deleted).
So it is actually a got time to discuss.

But I'm curious why Arsaneus isn't saying anything.
I think he is reading (or will read) to look at the arguments and give the decision to the player... well, he is a player too.

AkrionXxarr
x4

Post by AkrionXxarr » Mon, 9. Sep 13, 00:20

Loader009 wrote:But I'm curious why Arsaneus isn't saying anything.
The last few months before releasing a game (or any software product really) are stupid busy.

Loader009
x3tc

Post by Loader009 » Mon, 9. Sep 13, 00:30

Then there is no point on not playing atm.
The server will probably be unchanged 'til the game is released.
Maybe it will take even more time, the first patch is the one with important stuff. :D

Arsaneus
x4

Post by Arsaneus » Mon, 9. Sep 13, 09:11

I think a restart with a new (MUCH more stable) modpack is the way the go. Ultimate just isn't made to run for a long time (without limitations to the player).

The question is which one? It needs to be interesting and stable.

I won't kill the old server just now as I'm rather busy at the moment.

Loader009
x3tc

Post by Loader009 » Mon, 9. Sep 13, 16:03

Ok, that's what I thought.

After a little bit of comparising
Unhinged -> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... pQ0E#gid=0
Unleashed -> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... yU0E#gid=0

I'm tending to Unleashed.
I would miss GregTech of course but I like the PortalGuns, the SoulShards, Thaumcraft (adds some mystery to the game :D).
I want also try a few of the other mods.

XGamer
x4

Post by XGamer » Mon, 9. Sep 13, 23:07

AkrionXxarr wrote:I've been playing on another server for the past month or so. xD Got a pair of fusion reactors up and runnin' over there. Elthy - I think you might find deuterium-helium3 to be a better reaction to process fuel for.

You need the two Alkahest items but with the one that isn't a tome you can convert various resources into redstone or lapis. I convert gunpowder into redstone and use the resulting redstone with the tome of alkahest to duplicate end stone. From there it's just a matter of macerating and centrifuging the dust. As a bonus it nets you -plenty- of tungsten.
Heh, actually I was planning on doing exactly that before the server was down for like 3 weeks, since I got shitloads of GunPowder and EnderPearls... You gave my secret away :D

AkrionXxarr wrote:The entire reason for the unhinged/unleashed split is due to a conflict between the developer of GregTech and the developer of Tinker's Construct in which Tinker's Construct included a recipe to convert 1 log into 4 planks after GregTech changed all the existing recipies to convert 1 log into only 2 planks. After the Tinker's Construct recipe was put in the developer for GregTech decided the best way to protest this was to include code that intentionally crashed the game if it detected Tinker's Construct was installed. As a programmer I've lost quite a bit of respect for the GregTech dev as a result of this because you just don't intentionally write what could essentially be called malicious code if you actually respect the code you write and the users you write it for.
I don't actually know any of the details and I'm far too lazy to research them (which kinda disqualifies me having an opinion / saying to this but w/e) so either skip over the following paragraph or read it with that in mind ;)

If I as a developer go through all the trouble of making the game deliberately harder for players to enjoy it longer as Gregorius is and then someone else comes along and doesn't like what I'm doing and actually goes through all the trouble of ensuring his mod is loaded after mine so that he can add back a recipe which makes it easier again by adding a high yielding recipe and he can't be reasoned with, then I'd be pretty pissed too. Like seriously... people install my mod because they want the game to be harder and long lasting, so I go through all of the recipes and change them at the end, and he just reverts that? Hell yeah I'm gonna do whatever I can to say f*ck you imma screw you for good and crash the game or otherwise make my mod totally impossible to run with his. I would probably even try and make it look like it's crashing in his code so he gets all the blame and crash reports.
I for one can totally understand that and would've probably done the same thing in that situation.

I am of course assuming that they talked to each other and discussed the matter, trying to reach some sort of compromise, of which I am pretty sure they did because I don't think GregoriusT is the kind of person that does that sort of stuff without trying to reach a compromise that's ok for both of them.

Merroc wrote:Well, having gregtech would be cool of course, but not having computercraft, thaumcraft, TinkersConstruct and worst of all Portalgun is quite a miss imho.

I wouldn't necessarily miss ThaumCraft all that much, even though it has the Brain in a Jar which is kinda neat.
ComputerCraft is kind of meh for me, it has some nice and cool stuff and you can do neat stuff with it but yeah whatevs... The same goes for the PortalGun pretty much as there are other mods and even cool vanilla methods of getting from one place to another rather quick and those at more feel to it imho.
As for TinkersConstruct I don't think it was active on the server, nor does it seem to contain anything of interest from a quick look of what it supposedly is doing / adding.

As for the Sawmill I think it was from GregTech itself iirc (the industrial one anyway) while the regular one was from TE I think.

[ external image ]

As for restarting from scratch, I don't know... all that tedious mining _again_ to hunt for the first like 20+ diamonds you need to get anything started?
Even though I have yet to use RedPower2 (or any Redstone stuff for that matter) for what its real purpose is I like that mod way too much to just let it go :D

In any case I am not really having the time to play much at all currently and am actually kind of glad the server was down long enough for me to forget about it and get rid of the MC addiction again, so there is that too.
Come to think of it... why did I read this to know it's back up when I was glad to have forgotten about it? :D

Edit:
After having spent way too much time on this and looking through the lists of mods for each of the packs, I am in favor of mixing the two if a new server is started, to do away with some of them that are bad (like TConstruct :D) and get back in GregTech (even though or because it makes stuff take forever). I'd also want PowerConverters because who can live without that?
X:BtF: 7/10 | X2: 8/10 | X3:R/TC/AP: 8/10 | X:R: 3/10 | X4: 0/10 (3 points for split ships and stations, 4.0 -> -50 points).
If you are raising pirate activity, give me meaningful ways to deal with them PERMANENTLY. Better things to do than replacing ships every 10 minutes, or babysitting ships getting harassed.
Stopped playing X4 with 4.0 due to outrageous, needless and pointless nerfs to everything. Don't change what wasn't broken in the first place.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Mon, 9. Sep 13, 23:39

I can live without Gregtech but I just wouldn't play without computercraft because that's always what I enjoy doing most.

I would like Thaumcraft + Redpower too, if it'd be possible.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.

Loader009
x3tc

Post by Loader009 » Mon, 9. Sep 13, 23:46

XGamer wrote:I for one can totally understand that and would've probably done the same thing in that situation.

I am of course assuming that they talked to each other and discussed the matter, trying to reach some sort of compromise, of which I am pretty sure they did because I don't think GregoriusT is the kind of person that does that sort of stuff without trying to reach a compromise that's ok for both of them.
I would have made an option for the serveradmin, to add a "harder_recipe=true" or kind of. This would be a nicer solution.

As for GregoriusT, I don't know him and I never read any post of him, the following are just guesses.
But there are programmer, who does "what they want" and if I look at his decision, it might be that he was not interested in any compromise.
His code makes the game harder, in his way. Why should he make it easier again, if someone wants to?
It's not the purpose of the code to do it easier, so he don't ask, he decides.
That's what it looks like to me.
XGamer wrote:As for restarting from scratch, I don't know... all that tedious mining _again_ to hunt for the first like 20+ diamonds you need to get anything started?
Even though I have yet to use RedPower2 (or any Redstone stuff for that matter) for what its real purpose is I like that mod way too much to just let it go :D
Use computercraft, use turtles and green sapphire to mine for diamonds!
About 4 turtles and you will have 20+ diamonds in no time! (Well, you need a chunk loader to keep the chunks loaded.)
Maybe there would be an age usefull for mining >.>
XGamer wrote:In any case I am not really having the time to play much at all currently and am actually kind of glad the server was down long enough for me to forget about it and get rid of the MC addiction again, so there is that too.
Come to think of it... why did I read this to know it's back up when I was glad to have forgotten about it? :D
The dark side was always in you, don't deny it!

RedPower2 is really nice, I'll miss it also, but I don't want to stuck on older (sometimes unstable) mods.
For me there is no other way, RedPower2 isn't up2date (even if Eloraam wrote something in Twitter, maybe not RedPower2 related),
so I have to live without it if I want new things.

AkrionXxarr
x4

Post by AkrionXxarr » Mon, 9. Sep 13, 23:54

XGamer wrote: If I as a developer go through all the trouble of making the game deliberately harder for players to enjoy it longer as Gregorius is and then someone else comes along and doesn't like what I'm doing and actually goes through all the trouble of ensuring his mod is loaded after mine so that he can add back a recipe which makes it easier again by adding a high yielding recipe and he can't be reasoned with, then I'd be pretty pissed too. Like seriously... people install my mod because they want the game to be harder and long lasting, so I go through all of the recipes and change them at the end, and he just reverts that? Hell yeah I'm gonna do whatever I can to say f*ck you imma screw you for good and crash the game or otherwise make my mod totally impossible to run with his. I would probably even try and make it look like it's crashing in his code so he gets all the blame and crash reports.
I for one can totally understand that and would've probably done the same thing in that situation.
As far as I'm concerned, then, you're no programmer. To intentionally write unstable code, especially for the purpose of some petty revenge? At the cost of your users? While trying to hide yourself of blame and cause someone otherwise innocent to suffer for it? That's deplorable and about as malicious as you can get.

Arsaneus
x4

Post by Arsaneus » Tue, 10. Sep 13, 12:31

Well - please make the decision for me as easy as possible by discussing the pros/cons of those modpacks and look around to find out which one is more stable over a long time.

I will prolly dedicate my entire physical server for the MC server once we restart and use most of my 32GB for a RAM-disk. I do not have time to study for the moment, so I can shut down my other virtual machines for a while. And if I need them again, I will add another 32GB of Ram first.

That way we should have much increased performance. I will also add an SSD for a backup of the RAM-Disk.

I'm quite confident that this should be a big improvement over what we had before...We'll still have to add some more rules about the number of ages etc. but at least no lag and such things.

Arsaneus

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Tue, 10. Sep 13, 14:47

If a combination is possible, that would be awesome.
Though, I really love TConstruct (it adds new ways of creating tools and repair them. Plus it add new tools, backpacks and armor-like items), to get a compromise, adding gregtech to unleashed and removing Tconstruct is okay with me. If it works.

There are some really interesting mods/modupgrades coming out once FTB hits 1.6. I'd recommend looking at direwolf20's youtube channel and watching some of the forgecraft2 videos. He also did a mod spotlight on Tconstruct if anyone wants to know more (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA3vAD_UsXc).

Loader009
x3tc

Post by Loader009 » Tue, 10. Sep 13, 17:17

Arsaneus wrote:I will prolly dedicate my entire physical server for the MC server once we restart and use most of my 32GB for a RAM-disk. I do not have time to study for the moment, so I can shut down my other virtual machines for a while. And if I need them again, I will add another 32GB of Ram first.

That way we should have much increased performance. I will also add an SSD for a backup of the RAM-Disk.
Am I right, that the server is at Egosoft HQ?
32GB of RAM and a SSD for a server, that would be too expensive at a server hoster.
Well, server housing may also be the way you go.

Arsaneus
x4

Post by Arsaneus » Tue, 10. Sep 13, 17:31

Loader009 wrote:
Arsaneus wrote:I will prolly dedicate my entire physical server for the MC server once we restart and use most of my 32GB for a RAM-disk. I do not have time to study for the moment, so I can shut down my other virtual machines for a while. And if I need them again, I will add another 32GB of Ram first.

Am I right, that the server is at Egosoft HQ?
32GB of RAM and a SSD for a server, that would be too expensive at a server hoster.
Well, server housing may also be the way you go.
No this is my private server at home :D

Return to “Off Topic English”