Space Sim Genre becoming crowded

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Shootist
x4

Space Sim Genre becoming crowded

Post by Shootist » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 02:45

I am moved to post.

The Interwebs are alive with rumors about,

Elite remake
Star Citizen from Wing Commander guy, and;
Valve's "Space Opera" Sim

Our favorite game genre is about to become crowded with new (and new to abuse) titles.

Good day

elexis
x4

Post by elexis » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 02:59

I did a quick search for this Valve space game you speak of and all I could find was some concept art almost 6 months old from a dev that used to work at Valve. Is there anything more recent?

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 04:51

2 Games != crowded

I say 2 because Valve wouldn't release it for another three years if they haven't even announced it, L4D nonwithstanding.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 05:47

I'm not so much for conversation. Just wanted to point out that there are at least 6 games coming down the pike. If you cannot find them, I will grieve for you, later.

Valve's game appears to have been cancelled. I'm surprised more games don't, given the economic climate. Thanks for making me delve deeply.

There is almost as much info on these games as there is on Rebirth.

http://www.starwraith.com/arvoch/index.htm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ickstarter

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05 ... mpressive/

Not to forget...

Elite and Star Citizen

2 games would treble the number of games. 3 is defined as a crowd by some. Your != is a nullity.

elexis
x4

Post by elexis » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 05:57

Arvoch Conflict is a game that has been out since 2006, with graphics significantly more dated than X3:Reunion (which had been out for a year at this point).

Strike Suit Zero, which focuses on more arcadey style combat is scheduled for release on the 24th of this month. Might be interesting.

Skyjackers... they just created a second kickstarter, after a very successful first one. Not sure what is happening there.

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 07:57

OK, so there are more than two new space sims coming. What's your point? That's a good thing.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 08:27

If the space sim genre is crowded then the FPS and RPG genre are well over-due for birth-control measures :P
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 08:58

bizbag wrote:2 Games != crowded
Compared to the state of the genre in recent history, I suppose it is becoming crowded relatively speaking.

Face, it's been a long time since space sim fans have had more than two games to look forward to at once.

<Moved to Off Topic where this thread belongs. Alan Phipps>
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 11:50

<takes deep breath>

There's no such thing as too many space games.

There. I've said it.

Samuel Creshal
x3tc

Post by Samuel Creshal » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 12:00

brucewarren wrote:<takes deep breath>

There's no such thing as too many space games.

There. I've said it.
Are you sure? There certainly are too many shooters. I'd rather have one space game every three years as it is now than having 15 per year, each worse than the others – since they all have to fight for customers.

Drainy
x3tc

Post by Drainy » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 12:07

I don't really care how many space games there are, as long as there is quality.

I'd happily take quality over quantity any day, I still remember my first time on X and the months of my life I spent playing away.
Nothing I've played since has outlived it, sure Skyrim was great but the main story was a little too short for my liking and a bug killed the Thieves guild missions but even then I couldn't build a trading empire and amass a fleet the likes of which to control the universe!!

Also, first post back in a ludicrous amount of time, hi :)

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 12:16

There's actually no space for more space games. It's confined space!
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 12:16

@Samuel

Fair point and I wasn't wholly serious.

If the market was crammed with space drivel it would indeed be a problem, but I don't see it happening any time soon. For some reason space games and space generally doesn't seem to have mass appeal. Look at any TV schedule, and it's sport, gardening, cookery, more sport and that thing they call "daytime". The only even remotely space oriented Telly at the moment is Dr Who and that's a class of it's own.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 12:49

It's far from being over crowded in my opinion.

Why must people see bad things coming out of the new?

New is good. It provides competition and more motivation to make one thing better than the others.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 14:56

Well, at least we are talking about something other than release dates.

burger1
x3tc

Re: Space Sim Genre becoming crowded

Post by burger1 » Fri, 4. Jan 13, 16:38

Shootist wrote: Valve's "Space Opera" Sim
Bungies Destiny ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmkSs0WHey0

There's also limit theory . Infinity the quest for earth may be out one year. :roll: And x rebirth. The mmo scene seems to be much more crowded.

fenix67
x4

Post by fenix67 » Sat, 5. Jan 13, 05:45

I had a quick look around and i think Star Citizen, is the only game that would come to X series quality level, that being said it isnt due for release untill 2014. So we all will be heavily into X-Rebirth by the time of Star Citizen's release. and by then you might want to have two games on the go. :lol: and yes there is destiny as well. but will only be released on xbox first year then ps3 4 and pc the next year. looks not a deep as Star Citizen let alone X-Rebirth for that matter. :)
Keep on Gaming in the X universe

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Sat, 5. Jan 13, 20:31

Bloody hell? Moved to off topic?!?

For any good it will do, I formally protest.

The subject is OT IMHO. The entry of new competitors, or the hint of competition, in the marketplace, could go a long way to explain delays and changes in strategy at Deep Silver. DS has to be considering the impact of multiple Trade:Fight:Build:Think (in space) games on the market

One might not wish to be first out of the gate with a new product. Especially if one were small.

Even Star Trek needed Star Wars (for it) to become a motion picture.

Let me take this time to reiterate; the removal of this thread from Rebirth thread was unnecessary.

Thank you for your support.

<It was moved to OT as soon as you moved the thrust of the discussion to that of other games here. Alan Phipps>

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Sat, 5. Jan 13, 21:20

Shootist wrote:Bloody hell? Moved to off topic?!?

For any good it will do, I formally protest.

The subject is OT IMHO. The entry of new competitors, or the hint of competition, in the marketplace, could go a long way to explain delays and changes in strategy at Deep Silver. DS has to be considering the impact of multiple Trade:Fight:Build:Think (in space) games on the market

One might not wish to be first out of the gate with a new product. Especially if one were small.

Even Star Trek needed Star Wars (for it) to become a motion picture.

Let me take this time to reiterate; the removal of this thread from Rebirth thread was unnecessary.

Thank you for your support.
You like to complain, don't ya?

Whilst Rebirth is part of what you're talking about, you're talking about the space sim genre in general. Hence, not specific to Rebirth and not on topic of whatever original thread this was on.

Back on topic to this thread, I still say it is not overcrowded. Far from it.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.

AndrewR
x3

Post by AndrewR » Sun, 6. Jan 13, 01:54

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote: ...I still say it is not overcrowded. Far from it.
Particularly if media coverage of various kickstarters have ramped up the market interest.

Andrew

Return to “Off Topic English”