Some advice/ideas for X3 running on Win7

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cheggs
x4

Some advice/ideas for X3 running on Win7

Post by cheggs » Thu, 24. Dec 09, 19:47

I'm finding Win 7(ultimate) is very CPU hungry and takes a good portion of GFX resources.
I'm not looking for the uber specs which would be the simple answer, but can handle Win 7 + X3TC everything on 1400x900(mid range 19" wide LCD)

So using X3TC as the benchmark what would be the "ideal" CPU + GFX combo for Win 7?

slice
x3tc

Post by slice » Thu, 24. Dec 09, 19:58

how much do you want to spend on new components or pc? the best CPU will probably cost £1000 or more, best graphics cards could cost over £500 ;)

if you post the details requested in the very first post on the tech forums we will be better placed to advise you what requires upgrading

in the meantime youll find win7 dosent use as much resources if you disable aero or completly disable visual theames in services

cheggs
x4

Post by cheggs » Thu, 24. Dec 09, 20:22

slice wrote:how much do you want to spend on new components or pc? the best CPU will probably cost £1000 or more, best graphics cards could cost over £500 ;)

if you post the details requested in the very first post on the tech forums we will be better placed to advise you what requires upgrading

in the meantime youll find win7 dosent use as much resources if you disable aero or completly disable visual theames in services
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear but the question was what would be best for the job, the most expensive/high-end wouldn't really be the best if it was going to waste.
I don't know where you do your shopping but the last time I saw a CPU going for £1000 it was non-comercial spec, £150 - £200 at most Overclockers is a good shop for bits.

slice
x3tc

Post by slice » Thu, 24. Dec 09, 20:39

youve never heard of the AMD Opteron Six Core Istanbul 8439 SE, Socket F (1207), 2.8 GHz, L3 6MB Cache, WOF, Retail
:D

realisticaly you should be looking at any ddr3 systems 1333mhz+ memory

CPU's running at 3ghz+ with as much cache as you can afford
if you go i7 you will get the added benefit of tripple channel memory

for graphics can only recommend ATI, not familiar with nVidias cards
for ati look for a 5xxx series with 57xx being good performers if your on a budget 58xx series being the the mid range and 59xx mostly dual core with 2gb
you should also be looking for any graphics card with as much memory onboard as you can afford though ATI tend to come with 1gb gddr5

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 25. Dec 09, 00:14

The sticky threads at the top of the Tech Support forum specifically ask for that forum not to be used to discuss hardware recommendations, so I'll move this over to Off Topic where it belongs. :)

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 25. Dec 09, 04:01

how about..

Intel I7 975 Extreme CPU

FoxConn Inferno Katana GTI mobo
http://www.quantum-force.net/

2 x Ati Radeon HD5970's in Crossfire GPU

16Gig of Dual channel DDR3 1800(oc)/1600(oc)/1333 x 4 DIMMs RAM
(- take your pick..)

a couple of 64bit Intel® X25-E Extreme SATA Solid-State Drives in RAID0
http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/ ... /index.htm

2TB WD Caviar Black HDD
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=733

- and some some other bits..

- 'cos you deserve it.. :D
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Painman
x3tc

Post by Painman » Fri, 25. Dec 09, 07:47

TWO 5970s? :o

Personally can't recommend 'em... too many random problems with VRM cooling/warped heatsinks. AMD needs to address this issue.

Win Vista/7 won't consume GPU resources by itself while Aero isn't active, such as while X3 is running full screen. You needn't worry about that.

X3, by design, can't occupy more than one CPU core by itself. A really fast dually might actually run the game better than a slower Quad, but with the advent of DX11, I'd err on the side of more cores. Granted, X3 is *not* a DX11 game (it's DX9), but DX11 supercedes DX9 insofar as background processes are concerned, which will run in multithreaded fashion, AFAIK, even when it comes to things like X3.

That's what I understand... If I'm horribly wrong, someone like CBJ will surely come around and point out the errors of my ways.
*** modified ***

supakillaii
xr

Post by supakillaii » Fri, 25. Dec 09, 09:12

Who, Bug, little overkill there? I do believe that two 5870s are good enough ;)

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 25. Dec 09, 10:29

CBJ wrote:The sticky threads at the top of the Tech Support forum specifically ask for that forum not to be used to discuss hardware recommendations, so I'll move this over to Off Topic where it belongs. :)
that's gotta be the best get-out (santa) clause ever.. :D

nix on the overkill - we're talkin' TC here..
gold-plated case with go-fast stripes..

it's gotta be the best..!!
:lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Fri, 25. Dec 09, 11:29

Bug you need 6 sticks not 4 on that i7 to fill all the memory channels.
You should know this :wink:

But that is way overkill.

6Gig of memory @1600Mhz is more then enough and that extreme edition cpu is just throwing money out of the windows.

a i7 920 D0 will do just fine and cost a fraction of the price.

Or get the i7-860 with the p55 chipset and that can indeed only run 4 sticks of ram and will be cheaper the the x58 i7's

Return to “Off Topic English”