Strange problems with newly built PC...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Warenwolf
x4

Re: Strange problems with newly built PC...

Post by Warenwolf » Sat, 16. Sep 23, 10:00

The system is much more stable now but problems remain.

The guy taking look at my original MB said the PCIe readings were wrong, without elaborating on why.

Anyhow, this time, despite seemingly same problems, the troubleshooting was far more easier. Apparently CPU I am having, (Ryzen 5600X) is prone to be unstable at stock values.I think I found 67 000+ results when searching on specifics on my crashes with my CPU.

I could go back to stuff tried before, like turning off PBO and something other three letter thing that overclocks the system + disabling XMP which gives me a stable system (so far, not enough time has passed to be sure).*

So, I would wager that I had faulty motherboard AND unstable CPU, unless my CPU managed to damage the motherboard somehow (I doubt). So the question is - should I replace CPU or should I try to tweak this one... Getting RMA on a CPU can be problematic in this case.

*For those that wonder I did that too when all of this started (first thing I did) with no effect at all when it comes to stability.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 16. Sep 23, 18:20

Disable turbo in the bios and see what happens? Pretty big jump but might shed some light on stuff? Will nerf other stuff also so need to keep that in mind.

Not sure if amd ryzen master or cpu-z have tools to test the cpu like intels diagnostic test (bad test and broken cpus pass it).

Memory model and voltage? Can try increasing it a very little bit.

Same mainboard model replacement?
Last edited by burger1 on Sat, 16. Sep 23, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 16. Sep 23, 18:21

My system is 5600X based, on a B550 motherboard, on the RAM I use 1.36v instead of the 1.35v, when running the memory with DOCP 3600mhz
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sat, 16. Sep 23, 18:39

burger1 wrote:
Sat, 16. Sep 23, 18:20
Disable turbo in the bios and see what happens? Pretty big jump but might shed some light on stuff?
Have already done that (by disabling PBO and that other thing) - the system is way more stable now with me running 4 hour session of Starfield with no issues.
So you could say that I already know what remains of problems it is just that I feel that having a CPU such as 5600x with turbo disabled is kinda....waste of money?
Terre wrote:
Sat, 16. Sep 23, 18:21
My system is 5600X based, on a B550 motherboard, on the RAM I use 1.36v instead of the 1.35v, when running the memory with DOCP 3600mhz
Do you run it with PBO disabled or enabled?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 16. Sep 23, 19:17

Make sure you know the stock voltage of the ram. Not all ddr4 ram is 1.35v.

Disabling turbo on that cpu is not advised. Can try a slight negative voltage offset.

Can also try adjusting the turbo boost power limit? PL2. Not sure what your bios lists it as.

The person didn't test cpu + mainboard?

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sat, 16. Sep 23, 19:24

burger1 wrote:
Sat, 16. Sep 23, 19:17
Make sure you know the stock voltage of the ram. Not all ddr4 ram is 1.35v.
According to Corsair - 1.35V @ 3600 is "stock" but I have downclocked that to 2333 and 1.1V just to remove another error source while troubleshooting. Once I figure out what to do with the Ryzen CPU, I will push up the clocks there.

Regarding the motherboard - only the MB was tested. The moment I returned the MB and got my money back, I am kinda out of the loop there so I have no idea of finer details of the testing. I was just told the results in the passing.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 16. Sep 23, 20:07

Where/when did you buy the cpu? Basically if amazon or some retailer with a crazy return policy might be able to skip the rma? Might take a long time + other complications. If you return too much amazon can ban your account. Electronics might be refunded differently than other items at amazon.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 16. Sep 23, 23:05

Not sure if amd has a technical support phone line?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-call

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sun, 17. Sep 23, 06:26

Warenwolf wrote:
Sat, 16. Sep 23, 18:39
Do you run it with PBO disabled or enabled?
I've just left it on 'Auto'.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Fri, 22. Sep 23, 08:06

Anyway just to update here I had PC running rock stable for over 5 days, mostly in work but also some heavy gaming (as in running un-optimized indy games heavy on CPU or GPU - not playing games while holding the PC over my head).
So definitely it is the CPU's auto-overclocking that caused the latest issues. I see in my notes that CPU was running up to 4.7 GHz which is above the rated max for this particular CPU, which may explain the instability.

Since I am currently using
burger1 wrote:
Sat, 16. Sep 23, 20:07
Where/when did you buy the cpu? Basically if amazon or some retailer with a crazy return policy might be able to skip the rma? Might take a long time + other complications. If you return too much amazon can ban your account. Electronics might be refunded differently than other items at amazon.
Basically retailer which sets up lot of roadblocks when it comes to return policy but never crosses the law.

Return to “Off Topic English”