Subway stops selling products with pork in Britain due to comply with Sharia law

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Len5

Post by Len5 » Thu, 1. May 14, 18:05

@brucewarren: I agree. They could've added the halal meat, but they didn't, they replaced the pork by it.
I wonder if they'll bring back the prok if asked for by some customers? I doubt it.

To those who think it's not a problem: Is it also not a problem that British judges try muslims by sharia law when they ask for it? It happens.

edit:
Samuel Creshal wrote:Nothing prevents non-Muslims from eating Halal meals. And it would be PR suicide for a company like Subway.
And contrary to apparently popular belief, pork is not a vitamin, not eating bacon three times a day won't kill you. :P
Nothing prevents muslims from eating pork either. And many non-muslims might not want to eat halal meat because of how the animals are slaughtered.
Last edited by Len5 on Thu, 1. May 14, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

Samuel Creshal
x3tc

Post by Samuel Creshal » Thu, 1. May 14, 18:09

Len5 wrote:@brucewarren: I agree. They could've added the halal meat, but they didn't, they replaced the pork by it.
I wonder if they'll bring back the prok if asked for by some customers? I doubt it.
Subway is a capitalist company, they want to make money. You can bet your ass they will, if they'd gain customers by it. :roll:

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 1. May 14, 18:10

I'm pretty sure that Subway has no particular religion based agenda.

Therefore this is almost certainly a business decision, they have decided that not serving pork in some of their stores will increase revenue at those stores. No particular problem with such a decision and I'd be interested to see if it does indeed increase sales.

Not quite sure why everyone is jumping on a vaguely anti-Muslim bandwagon here, presumably because the word Halal and Shari have been mention by someone (probably the Daily Mail) . . . . . . Jewish people have very nearly identical rules regarding the slaughter of meat and consumption of pork products. I also wouldn't be at all surprised if the Golders Green branch of subway (assuming there is one!) is entirely Kosher.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 1. May 14, 18:28

Just found this on the Subway web site
Halal stores
30 Apr 2014
Due to the growing popularity of the SUBWAY® chain, with the diverse multicultural population across the UK and Ireland, we put a programme in place in 2007 to ensure that the population demographic is taken into account when new store openings are considered in order that we meet consumer demand in each location.

All our suppliers comply with EU animal welfare legislation as a minimum and we require suppliers of Halal products to adopt the stunning of animals prior to their slaughter. All Halal meats are certified by the appropriate Halal authorities.

All Halal SUBWAY® stores have numerous signs stating that they serve Halal food. These are situated on the menu panels, nutritional information and in the front window of the store. Details about the locations of Halal stores can be found on the store finder at www.subway.com
This is interesting because it seems to contradict the original post in two ways

a) Animals are still pre-stunned and follows EU welfare laws
b) The note says "serve Halal fiood" It doesn't say "only serve Halal food"

If I'm reading this correctly, then this may be a non story after all.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 1. May 14, 18:40

Looked into this last time this topic came up somewhere.

Stunning is perfectly in line with Halal.
All that is required of Halal in regard to the actual processing of the meat is that the the animal is alive at the point it is exsanguinated. . . and under usual abattoir practices it is. It does happen however that the stunning process sometimes goes wrong (especially if a bolt gun is the method used) and it itself kills the animal. If this happens then that animal is not considered Halal as it was dead before exsanguination and is therefore considered to be "carrion". Otherwise stunning is fine.

Its also worth mentioning that there are good reasons both in terms of practicality and public health to exsanguinate whilst the heart is still beating and such reasons are probably why these things became part of religious texts in the first place, along with eating shellfish being a generally bad idea healthwise! No idea where the antipathy to pigs came from however, no good reason at all not to eat a pig.

On the other points of Halal slaughter such as the person carrying it out being a Muslim (some say any Abrahamic faith is fine, some say anyone at all is fine) or the meat being killed specifically in the name of Allah (It cannot however be specifically killed in the name of any OTHER god :roll:) there is considerable disagreement within Islam, and thus the definition of Halal becomes somewhat less clear.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Thu, 1. May 14, 18:46

Vast majority of cases animals are stunned pre-bleeding in the preparation of halal meat, the same isn't true of kosha however.

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Thu, 1. May 14, 18:54

Well What is the difference between Kosher and Halal meat? the principle seems rather similar to me.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Thu, 1. May 14, 19:04

Skism wrote:Well What is the difference between Kosher and Halal meat? the principle seems rather similar to me.
Same thing, for all intense and purposes.
Last edited by Avis on Thu, 1. May 14, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 1. May 14, 19:05

To me it's all about them saying they are doing it to please one part of the community, what about the other part of the community that wants real bacon and ham, why are they not catering for them now, surely they deserve to be able to by their bacon and ham too.

The last time I looked the UK does not follow Sharia law, if someone does not like that, then they can just pack their bags and go somewhere that does, somewhere like Syria, we all know how peaceful and law abiding that country is. If they don't want pork products them don't buy them then.

As for Subway doing this, personally I think they have made a big mistake. While it is only 10% of their shops that are for doing this, it has received some pretty bad press and will probably loose them a lot of money at least in the short term, maybe even long term. It's a publicity stunt gone wrong.

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Thu, 1. May 14, 19:12

Avis wrote:
Skism wrote:Well What is the difference between Kosher and Halal meat? the principle seems rather similar to me.
Ok thank you.

Anyway the issue here is are those Subway stores providing *only* halal meat.

If this is true its puts me off subway.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Thu, 1. May 14, 19:51

The funny thing is I'm sat here looking at my Subcard (loyalty card) and can see a nice layer of ham on the pictured sub :lol:
Skism wrote:
Avis wrote:
Ok thank you.

Anyway the issue here is are those Subway stores providing *only* halal meat.

If this is true its puts me off subway.
Yeah.

There's already a petition aimed at subway saying they're discriminating against lack-of-belief.
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/s ... alog_false
This sı not ǝpısdn down.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 1. May 14, 20:11

TBH I'm a little petitioned out at the moment. Change.org is a good thing, but we seem to have petitions on everything these days.

I'm just surprised no one has complained that they (Subway) don't run trains yet. :wink:

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Thu, 1. May 14, 20:14

From what it seems, they're not banning non-halaal meat in all their stores, which makes that a silly petition; petitioning against something that's not actually happening.

Gotta love reactionary petitions :lol:
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Thu, 1. May 14, 20:28

Not all their stores but 200 of them, most of which likely had non Muslim customers too, not that they seem to count for anything these days...
If you can`t dazzle them with dynamics, then baffle them with bullsh*t :D

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 1. May 14, 20:58

Sir Crashalot wrote:Not all their stores but 200 of them, most of which likely had non Muslim customers too, not that they seem to count for anything these days...
I'd imagine that if this decision starts to cost them money because of the loss of non-muslim customers then it will be quite quickly reversed.

As I said earlier this is almost certainly solely a business decision and should be judged as such. If catering to one set of customers over another makes them more money then why not?
You could just as easily complain that every high street clothes shop is discriminating against men due the vastly wider range of female clothing most of them stock.

Samuel Creshal
x3tc

Post by Samuel Creshal » Thu, 1. May 14, 21:08

Sir Crashalot wrote:Not all their stores but 200 of them, most of which likely had non Muslim customers too, not that they seem to count for anything these days...
You can dislike pork without being Muslim, yknow. :wink:

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Thu, 1. May 14, 21:11

Yet if the situation was reversed then there would be no doubt whatsoever that discrimination was involved.

Gotta love double standards. :roll:

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Thu, 1. May 14, 21:17

Samuel Creshal wrote:
Then don't eat it.
Just because they dislike pork doesn't mean that everyone else has to stop eating it.

Samuel Creshal
x3tc

Post by Samuel Creshal » Thu, 1. May 14, 22:15

Sir Crashalot wrote:
Samuel Creshal wrote:
Then don't eat it.
Just because they dislike pork doesn't mean that everyone else has to stop eating it.
Just because you like it doesn't mean everyone does. I'm fairly sure Subway has done the numbers and decided keeping pork on the menu isn't profitable in those stores. So yes, minority opinions are ignored. Hail capitalism. :P

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 1. May 14, 23:14

Who cares? Does it affect you and your choices? Maybe if one of the subway's you actually eat at has become Pork free... but otherwise, you're getting "mad" on other people's behalves?

I used to buy my meat from a Halal butcher. Never did I go in and shout and scream about "OH MY GOD YOU DON'T HAVE ANY PORK WTF?1!!1!".

Don't like it, vote with your feet and money. Rant about it only if its your local Subway that's changed.

Otherwise, get on with your life :P

Return to “Off Topic English”