Problems with the Ship Installer ?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

stewartgb
x3

Update

Post by stewartgb » Sun, 29. Apr 07, 09:53

I did the trial and error approach and tracked down my error. Thanks for all of your work, it makes a good game great!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 29. Apr 07, 13:36

its possible one of the changes made was preventing the rest of the file from creating correctly.

i susspect its something to do with turrets, but i cant be certain.

what do did u do tofix it, so i can track down the possible cause of it and fix it in the next release

stewartgb
x3

update

Post by stewartgb » Tue, 1. May 07, 00:30

You are right, I made changes to turrets and did not do it correctly. I tracked it down and removed the ship with the problem. The errorwas all on my side and nothing to do with your installer. Thank you for your excellent work and quick response.

s4ik0tic
x3

Post by s4ik0tic » Tue, 5. Jun 07, 15:41

This might have been asked before but I couldn't seem to find anyone who has asked this.

I installed the ship manager and creator software and have been fiddling around with the functions. I have been successful with modifications regarding ship stats such as speed, turning, shielding etc.

e.g. I modify a ship's .xsp and install it using the ship installer app.

However one thing I can't seem to get right is the weapons loadout. I wish to use the kyon emitters on my ships, however I find that just checking the weapon under Laser/Weapons, doesn't seem to do the trick.

When I install the ship, cheat create it with the cheat script, the rest of the attributes work fine. Its just the emitter that I can't seem to install.

I downloaded some of the ships from http://www.xpluginmanager.co.uk/ and found that some of these ships are compatitble with the emitters such as the Vorlon Star Dreadnaught - M2 -.

However I can't seem to find whats the missing attribute, file or data that is needed for it to work.

I think I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what. I would really like to have my ships firing beam weapons and see those major capital ship battles like in Freespace 2, instead of seeing bullets flying all around.

Can anyone assist?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 5. Jun 07, 15:54

the lasers tab is actually the captable lasers for the front guns only, and if its a captial ship, they dont have front guns usually, so the makes no difference.

what you need to do is change the settings for the turrets instead.

goto the turrets tab, in the first list, you should see all the turrets on the ship, usually 6 for large ships select that, then you need to use a custom cockpit.

either select the button for custom cockpit then goto new and enter the name for the new turret, or if its still selected as Standard, then click on "copy" to copy the current cockpit to a custom one.

once your on a custom cockpit, you can then select the weapons you want for the cockpit.

u'll need to repeat this for each cockpit, you can either create 6 individual cockpits or just use the same one for all turrets.

to use the same one, just select Custom Cockpit, then select the cockpit from the dropdown list

hope that helped abit

s4ik0tic
x3

Post by s4ik0tic » Tue, 5. Jun 07, 16:44

Just tried it out, and it worked perfectly. Thanks alot for the software and the assistance.

Thraxwhirl
x3ap

Post by Thraxwhirl » Wed, 6. Jun 07, 03:00

Hi, Cycrow.

I'm hoping you can help me here, as I'm having an absolute wiggins with installing ships into a mod.

I've used Ship Installer about a million times, and have flown many a custom ship as a result, BUT I have never ever ever been able to figure out how to do more than 1 single install session into one mod.

If I try, messes up all the ships' names, or worse, means they don't show up at all/creates a corrupt mod.

I'll explain what I mean.

I'm running XFP v.4.2, so I choose that as my base mod. Install, say, 5 ships. Run the game with Ship Creator selected as my playing mod, and all is well. :) Ships can be cheatspawned or purchased from shipyards.

Once I'm happy with the mod, incidently, I tend to rename Ship Creator to something like "X.F.P.+5" or whatever so that I'll know what it is.

Ok, so after a bit I decide it's time to add some more ships into this mod.

Well, this time I select "X.F.P.+5" as my base mod, and install...and it all gets screwed up. Names overlap or end up as "SS_SH_ARGON_M5" stylee(you know the sort), and sometimes I get two ships with identical names, even though they're different.

I've tried doing THIS just today:

Installed 3 fighters(Tie Fighter, Tie Interceptor, Tie Advanced), and then ran the mod.

All fine.

Now, I wondered if it would help to clear the list before installing new ships?

Ok, so I hit "reset" in Installer, and let it clear those 3 fighters from its list. I then selected my updated XFP mod, which had the 3 fighters in, and this time chose the Star Destroyer and the Executer.

They installed fine, but I now found, upon looking in the mod's Tships, that the fighters were all listed under "Name" as the ID+the name...

eg. "SS_SW_M5_TIE_FIGHTER Tie Fighter" instead of just "Tie Fighter".

Plus, upon running the game, I went to spawn a ship, and scrolled through the list. And here I found that all five ships(3 fighters and 2 Carriers) were all there, but the Carriers' names had overwritten two of the fighters...

eg. the Tie Fighter was now called "Star Destroyer", though it was still an M5, and still a Tie Fighter.

My guess would be that every time I run an install session, it incorrectly assigns descriptions into the t file 4490001. The first ship it adds in becomes id 22000, the second 220002 and so on.

But it always starts from the same point, irrespective of whether or not file 4490001 already has entries. Thus, on the second install session, "Tie Fighter"(id 22000) was overwritten by "Star Destroyer"(being assigned id 22000 over the top of it).

There seems no way, as far as I can tell, to run more than one install session, without previous sessions' ids getting overwritten by the current one.

Can you help?

Thanks.

Adam.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 6. Jun 07, 11:54

Thraxwhirl wrote:Once I'm happy with the mod, incidently, I tend to rename Ship Creator to something like "X.F.P.+5" or whatever so that I'll know what it is.
Thats your problem right there.

when you run the ship installer, it recreates all the files based on the base mod.

so what happens is, say u have 5 ships install, then u install another one, it will add all 6 entries onto the base mod, as your base mod already contains the 5 entries, then you end up having those first 5 duplicated.

what you should do, is keep it called Ship Creator so the program can recreate it properly

Puruco
x3

Post by Puruco » Wed, 6. Jun 07, 17:33

Cycrow wrote:the lasers tab is actually the captable lasers for the front guns only, and if its a captial ship, they dont have front guns usually, so the makes no difference.

what you need to do is change the settings for the turrets instead.

goto the turrets tab, in the first list, you should see all the turrets on the ship, usually 6 for large ships select that, then you need to use a custom cockpit.

either select the button for custom cockpit then goto new and enter the name for the new turret, or if its still selected as Standard, then click on "copy" to copy the current cockpit to a custom one.

once your on a custom cockpit, you can then select the weapons you want for the cockpit.

u'll need to repeat this for each cockpit, you can either create 6 individual cockpits or just use the same one for all turrets.

to use the same one, just select Custom Cockpit, then select the cockpit from the dropdown list

hope that helped abit
Hi Cycrow: For example; I choose ZA_REAR, ZA_FRONT and so on for each Custom Cockpit and add the the weapons that I want. Works ok. The question is if I use the same Cockpit name for other turrets from other ships si there going to be any conflict with the other ship?

Thanks...

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 6. Jun 07, 20:28

technically u can do that, but i would personlly create a seperate entry for each ship to prevent any potentional problems

Puruco
x3

Post by Puruco » Wed, 6. Jun 07, 22:59

Cycrow wrote:technically u can do that, but i would personlly create a seperate entry for each ship to prevent any potentional problems
Ok, thanks.....

DzirtDyoren

Post by DzirtDyoren » Tue, 12. Jun 07, 10:28

Hi Cycrow...I am having a few problems. My game configuration:
- Install X3 and update via patch to 2.0.02.
- Then install XtendedModScripts-V0.71b in 'Egosoft Patch manner', means as 08,09,10 *.cat and *.dat.
- Then install Ship Installer/Creator and download a few ship from site http://www.xpluginmanager.co.uk/
- Then install ship "Maquis Raider - M6 - By DeadlyDa" (recently downloaded)
- Modify this ship to appear only for Argon race.
- Install this ship via Ship Installer.

Additional info:
- Script Editor is enabled
- Other script installed: AdvancedJumpdrive-V1.50-11.03.2007.spk, emp.spk
- Xtended Mod work properly

So, then I run the game and try to buy this custom ship, but I can not find it !!! I checked all shipyards, but it does not appear there.
By the way, in the Ship Installer tool in Base mod combobox is only "Standard Game" value. I expected see "Xtended Mod value" too, but it is only "Standard Game" value present.

Can you give me some ideas to fix this problem ?.

Thanks.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 12. Jun 07, 13:25

ok, assuming you have the main Xtended mod files installed, in the Ship Installer, there should be drop down back for Base mod. Select that and in the list should be Standard Game, and the Xtended Mod, and any other mods that you might have installed, select the Xtended Mod

then when you run the game, in the Select Mod Package, choose the Ship Creator mod.

in the new version there will be better handling for ships, so it'll be easier to get working

DzirtDyoren

Post by DzirtDyoren » Tue, 12. Jun 07, 14:09

As I say in this drop down back I have only Standard Game. Xtended Mod does not appear in this list. I suppose installation process of Xtended Mod was corrupted.

One more question - as I understand it is two way to install mod:
First - just simply copy *.cat/*.dat files to the game install dir
Second - use XScript Installer tool

Am I right ? Both method must work identical I suppose.

So, I will reinstall mod and try again. I will reply to you ASAP.

Thanks for you cooperation.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 12. Jun 07, 17:51

well what appears in the drop down box is basically anything thats in the mods directory.

so if Xtended doesn't appear, then it means you dont have the Xtended mod files in the mods directory.

if you have them all as a fake patch. Then the Ship Installer should be able to work with the base mod set to STandard game.

but you still need to select ShipCreator mod when starting the game

xTemon
x3tc

Post by xTemon » Thu, 14. Jun 07, 20:25

Is there an issue with the ship installer using cameradummies for cockpit scenes? I seem to have had a little trouble with getting it to work with a ship I was modifying.

I set it up as a new creation the first time, then made it into a mod(which I never tried :roll: )and imported from the mod, and still ran into the same issues with the cameradummy as a cockpit--I know it works well in mod as I've done that before--did I miss something perhaps :gruebel:

I did notice that Tships won't allow you to set it as a cameradummy initially when modding with a new entry; it seems to be only on a modified entry that the cameradummy can be placed in the cockpit position in the turrets entry-of course, I wasn't even able to enter a cockpit entry in the turrets tab-just turrets.

Speaking of turrets :) I don't suppose your version 2.0 will have the option of adding two fronts--or more than one entry per firing arc as it were--like the Paranid M7; I'm also wondering if import from mod will allow that currently.

xTemon
x3tc

Post by xTemon » Thu, 14. Jun 07, 21:27

Endremion wrote:Is there an issue with the ship installer using cameradummies for cockpit scenes? I seem to have had a little trouble with getting it to work with a ship I was modifying.

I set it up as a new creation the first time, then made it into a mod(which I never tried :roll: )and imported from the mod, and still ran into the same issues with the cameradummy as a cockpit--I know it works well in mod as I've done that before--did I miss something perhaps :gruebel:
I should note that I opened up the Tships file in the ShipCreator.cat and it came up with an error message that indicated it had not reached the last line or had passed it without recieving a stop indicator or something like that :?

Also running into a general error 550-mail cannot be sent-unroutable address on this thread. It seems to be working anyway though.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 14. Jun 07, 22:28

im not sure about the cockpit issue, afaik, it should work with cameradummy, but i'll have to check that.

if you send me the XSP file your trying to create, ill c if i can fix the error its causing.

perhaps sending me the mod with the ship is as well so i can test the import wizard with it.

as for the multiple front turrets, afaik, thats not actually possible, they game will only allow 1 of each type of turret, unless this was changed in the bala gi update.

i seem to remember having some problems trying to set that, but i can look at it again c if it works now.

as for the 550 error, its a standard phpbb error, its when someone marks the thread so they receive email notification when its been updated, there must be an error trying to send out the error, which basically what that means.

it doesn't effect the thread however

JBL

Post by JBL » Mon, 18. Jun 07, 05:44

Is there anyway to get ship installer to work with the following:

- XTM running as a fake patch 11.cat etc.
- Realspace mod as a fake patch 12.cat etc.
- Ashely's XTM version of fab XXL, this is running as a true mod. (it can only run as a true mod).

I have tried every suggestion and playing around. I can't get it to work unless I do not startup with Ashley's mod.

Any help would be appreciated. :oops:
Windows XP/Vista (Dual Boot)
Pentium 4 3.6
Memory 4 GB
Video ATI X1600 512
Dual LG 22" Monitors
Saitek X52

pepperg
x3tc

Post by pepperg » Mon, 18. Jun 07, 08:56

i actually can't even open the ship installer application at all- i posted in your other forum, but that was actually the wrong one, so here's the updated info from that thread:

still having problems opening this- i uninstalled and then reinstalled. also placed the app as an exception in my windows firefall so it would allow it to open. still nothing.

i even turned my firewall off and tried to open it- nothing.

in every instance, the ship installer application is active in windows taskmanager, but the gui never opens in windows for me to be able to work with it.

this is frustrating, since i want to install the serenity ship and place it for sale in an argon shipyard.

this is the app's target line:

"C:\Program Files\X Ship Manager\Ship Installer.exe" -nosocket

one thing i do notice though is that the serenity xsp file has the right click option "install package" and when i right click > open with "ship installer" is the default app. sadly, doing this doesn't properly open the ship installer app
but, .can i possibly install the ship by choosing install package-ie, will it then install where it needs to within x3? i do however want to manually choose to have it sold in the argon shipyard.

also, i have v 1.91 and not the 1.91 update,since i thought that this is an update that updates older versions to v 1.91- correct?

the ship creator app works just fine

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”