X³: Reunion - Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

JDrewes

Post by JDrewes » Tue, 30. Jul 13, 19:04

@timon37: I ran test_txc, test_X3R_main and test_X3R_config, and they all work in that they produce no result I can see. No windows, no effects, and no core files. That is both before and after ulimit -c unlimited.

after ulimit -c unlimited, I ran steam from the same console window, and then starting X3R produced a "core" file (otherwise, the same crash as before). The core file is ~58MB, do you want it? How do I best get it to you? Email? Dropbox? Else?

However, by running X3R_main I can launch the game, so I am happy now (even though through steam the launcher still crashes) :-)

My card is a Radeon 7750, in case this matters for the texture compression issues.

Cheers!

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 30. Jul 13, 22:45

@JDrewes

Hmm that's peculiar.
Yes I want the core file, it would be best if you put it somewhere online and gave me a link through email (it's in the first post), alternatively you can try sending it through email.

freenode

Post by freenode » Fri, 9. Aug 13, 18:33

Hi,

It's impossible to play the game at any resolution except a native panel's resolution - the game starts in virtual screen mode. I can pan view to to left-bottom area using mouse - like X virtual modes do - till the game window will be fully visible, but the game is hardly playable because moving mouse near the top or right edges scrolls the screen to black zone.

Nvidia Drivers: 313.30
Steam system info:

Code: Select all

Processor Information:
    Vendor:  GenuineIntel
    Speed: 3201 Mhz
    4 logical processors
    2 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Supported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    SSSE3:  Supported
    SSE4a:  Unsupported
    SSE41:  Supported
    SSE42:  Supported

Network Information:
    Network Speed:  

Operating System Version:
    Ubuntu 13.04 (64 bit)
    Kernel Name:  Linux
    Kernel Version:  3.8.0-27-generic
    X Server Vendor:  The X.Org Foundation
    X Server Release:  11303000
    X Window Manager:  Openbox
    Steam Runtime Version:  steam-runtime-release-i386_2013-06-28

Video Card:
    Driver:  NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 210/PCIe/SSE2

Driver Version:  3.3.0 NVIDIA 313.30
    Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
    VendorID:  0x10de
    DeviceID:  0xa65
    Number of Monitors:  1
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
    Primary Display Resolution:  1920 x 1200
    Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1200
    Primary Display Size: 20,39" x 12,76"  (24,02" diag)
                                            51,8cm x 32,4cm  (61,0cm diag)
    Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
    Primary VRAM: 512 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x 16x 

Sound card:
    Audio device: Realtek ALC887

Memory:
    RAM:  7912 Mb

Miscellaneous:
    UI Language:  English
    LANG:  en_US.UTF-8
    Microphone:  Not set
    Total Hard Disk Space Available:  50369 Mb
    Largest Free Hard Disk Block:  32011 Mb

Installed software:

Recent Failure Reports:
    Fri Aug  9 06:49:33 2013 GMT: file ''/tmp/dumps/assert_20130809094931_1.dmp'', upload no: ''HTTP response code said error''
[/code]
x3 [Linux]

diziet_sma

joystick recognition via sdl

Post by diziet_sma » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 03:16

hi,

i've just installed x3:reunion in steam on linux, i'm having joystick issues.
no matter what i do the axes of the joystick only fully respond on one half.
that is, i can go fully negative x and negative y but barely positive in these
directions and similarly for z and throttle, in the input test before starting
the game proper the blue bars will move fully to the left (disappear) but
hardly increase to the right,
after researching i have discovered that this is related to sdl, using a
program called sdl-jstest i can see what sdl thinks my joystick is doing, and
the behaviour of my joystick is as described above.
if i specify SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/input/js1 (i have a game controller which
takes ../js0) in my environment then sdl-jstest shows my joystick twice,
testing the first occurrence gives proper behaviour
but testing the second occurrence gives the original. i believe that this is
because the environment variable causes sdl to see both the /dev/input/js*
version of my joystick and the /dev/input/event* version, unfortunately
although sdl-jstest lists the /dev/input/js* version first as joystick number 0
it seems that x3 still only sees the /dev/input/event* version, and while i
have calibrated using jscal the /dev/input/js* version it is not possible to
calibrate the ../event*
version (out of game anyway).
is there any way to tell x3 to use the ../js* instance of the joystick that
doesn't rely on the SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE variable?
my joystick is a saitek cyborg 3d usb,

diziet

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: joystick recognition via sdl

Post by timon37 » Sun, 25. Aug 13, 13:53

@diziet_sma

One of the problems is that we're using sdl2, and I think sdl-jstest is sdl1, so what works for one sdl-jstest not necessarily transferable.
But you can try changing the last line to SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=whatever ./$1" in the testandlaunch file in the game directory. Other methods of adding variables might not work, so this is the safest way.

I'll be probably working on this next week so tell me what your distro is exactly (name, version, 32/64bit, is it updated).

@freenode That's very strange, what's the resolution set in the config dialog?

diziet_sma

Post by diziet_sma » Mon, 26. Aug 13, 01:30

But you can try changing the last line to SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=whatever ./$1" in the testandlaunch file in the game directory
i tried changing the last line as you suggested, i also tried:
export SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/input/js1 ; ./$1

neither made a difference, does sdl2 actually recognise joydev devices at all?
perhaps it only recognises evdev ones? which would mean no calibration for a joystick since i can find no evidence of a tool to calibrate evdev devices

my system is an uptodate mageia3 64 bit,
joystick is a saitek cyborg 3d usb

diziet

freenode

Post by freenode » Tue, 27. Aug 13, 15:45

@freenode That's very strange, what's the resolution set in the config dialog?
Any resolution that is less than native resolution works as I described. I tested and found broken these ones: 640x480, 800x600, 1440x900. Seems like it's a nvidia specific feature (Panning Domain) which is not working well - for instance, fullscreen games run via wine also have the same problem. But at the same time, another linux titles (Source-based games, Darwinia) work like a charm.

I successfully reproduced this bug on another machine with the identical hardware and fresh Ubuntu 13.04 with nvidia drivers 304.88 installed.[/quote]
x3 [Linux]

werwulf222
x3tc

Post by werwulf222 » Tue, 24. Sep 13, 08:17

I just wanted to say "thank you" to EgoSoft for making the X games available on Linux. Thank you! I have been tired and fed up with Windows for a very long time now and it finally reached the point where I have committed to gaming on Linux and Linux alone for the for-seeable future.

I have Linux Mint 64 bit Olivia on my Linux box, Steam is already installed and they didn't even charge me extra for my Linux versions of Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude!

I don't know how difficult the change will be, but I honestly believe that Linux is the future for gaming. Thank you for helping me become a part of that.

Wassail.
Snjarulfr.
werwulf.

werwulf222
x3tc

Post by werwulf222 » Sat, 28. Sep 13, 06:00

I am running Linux Mint 64 bit Olivia. Opera, Steam, 7970 drivers all installed without a hitch and X3:Reunion runs like a dream. My problem is that I also want to enable my throttle and pedals (all CH Products) which I could do in Windows with Control Manager, but don't yet know how to do in Linux. My joystick works fine, but I am spoiled because I am used to having throttle and pedals in the game.

On my system, I also need to enable G35's, MMO7 mouse, and some good voice command software.

I am a Linux newbie. I have no idea how long it is going to take to bring everything up to 100% because I am at the bottom of the learning curve right now, but if or when I find these solutions I will be sure to post them in this thread.

I just wanted to say thank you again to EgoSoft for making the X-games for Linux. Thank you.

Wassail.
Snjarulfr.
werwulf.

n0rthstar

Post by n0rthstar » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 11:45

Hey guys,

Ive experienced some trouble with my Madcatz V1, which I bought to replace my old Saitek Cyborg 3D. It works well on my Windows 7 notebook and I could also calibrate the joysticks axis and buttons with the joystick and joystick-gtk packages. However the Joystick is detected as Madcatz V1 by the X3 calibration tool, but in game it doesnt work as it should. For example the X and Y axis of the joystick were set up as lateral movements instead of a circular movement, the Z axis (which should make the spaceship role) did a circular, horizontal movement (which is usually associated with the X axis of the joystick). Messing around with the settings, I could fix this, but the major problem for me is, that the buttons of the joystick wont work (especially the trigger). I'm a little desperate, as my notebook is a bit screwed right now (great cooling problems => the game slows down and laggs pretty hard), but I would love to play X3 :(. Hopefully you guys can understand my problem and maybe someone has a solution (and might get a cold beer for that, if you come to Northern Germany :P).

btw: My system is using the latest Ubuntu and I already tried the SDL approach in a couple of ways (for example SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/input/js0 in the bashrc).
kind regards

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 2. Oct 13, 16:56

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the silence on my part, I'm in the process of moving to Germany, so everything's a bit hectic.
Nevertheless I'm reading everything, and I'm working on it.
Right now I'll be figuring out the texture corruption issues and the related crashes.

jamie987737

Post by jamie987737 » Wed, 2. Oct 13, 20:43

Hi Timon,
I seem to be having a similar problem to n0rthstar, I'm playing the linux version of X3 reunion (vanilla) on Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit with a Rock Candy wired PS3 gamepad. It works perfectly sometimes but at least half the time I try to play I find that none of the buttons or triggers work but the Directional Pad and both sticks always work, I have made sure that I am on the right controls profile and that the controls are still mapped to the buttons on the controller.
Restarting the computer doesnt help. I have checked that the controller itself is working with jstest and my computer registers that I am pressing the buttons so it is not a problem with the controller itself.
I have also tried setting up a new controls profile but when I try to map a control there is no response when I hit the buttons (although I can still map controls to the directional pad).
The gamepad worked fine the first time I plugged it in then the buttons and triggers didn't work at all for 2 days. It then worked perfectly all day yesterday but isn't working again today.

Good luck with the move and thanks in advance.

Jamie

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Thu, 27. Mar 14, 17:03

Hi everyone,

Good news, I'll get to work on X3 R/TC/AP on mac/linux in about two weeks.
Though I won't have a lot of time, so I'd like to ask all of you to post your current outstanding issues with the game.
Try not to make the posts too long or detailed, e.g. something like:
Crashes after 2 hours, mac 10.7, intel gpu
Textures sometimes get corrupted after changing sector, gentoo stable, amd catalyst 13.3
For now I just need a summary.

diziet_sma

still no joystick calibration

Post by diziet_sma » Mon, 5. May 14, 00:46

to be honest i'm confused, there is no in-game calibration for joysticks, the game uses sdl2 which only recognises evdev devices, and evdev joysticks can't be calibrated. therefore noone can have a calibrated joystick playing x3 in linux, unless their joystick doesn't need calibrating and are all spiffy from the get go.

so how are people playing this game with joysticks?
particularly, what joysticks are they using, as clearly i need to get a new one but no amount of googling can get me info as to how what joystick will work in linux as an evdev device and need no calibration.

diziet

NolanSyKinsley

Regression of xsession-errors issue.

Post by NolanSyKinsley » Tue, 20. May 14, 08:49

timon37 wrote:
etonbears wrote: 1. Occasional pauses, not really worked out a pattern yet.
2. Argon One buzzes like a mosquito on steroids :) The pitch is constant and high, so I would guess that the sample is being played back at a multiple of the correct frequency. Also, there appears to be no doppler on it to account for movement.
3. The game filled up my hard disk with 67GB of .xsession-errors. This caused a lack of space crash in Farnham's Legend. The content of the file was just these 2 lines repeated...
1, 2 I'm aware of will deal with them sooner or later.
3. Ouch I don't even have any such logging, I understand you just normally run X3R from steam? I'm disabling input debug, and redirecting any stderr to stdout which I hope will solve this (and still give me the output I might need), please verify when it's updated.

Also I just realized I disabled the intro before... I'm obviously not getting enough sleep here;p I'll respond to the other messages a bit later (need to eat something).
I am running debian wheezy, on steam, with an nvidia 9800gt, this huge xsession-errors log issue has popped back up again for me. It seems to be sending the full game log to the error file, at about 1gb every 2 minutes.

**edit**

disregard, not limited to this game, it is steam's issue, X3TC just brings it raging to attention.

cmdrwalrus

X3:Reunion (Debian, Steam) crashes when I undock

Post by cmdrwalrus » Thu, 19. Jun 14, 18:49

I hope this is still the right place for support for the Linux version... if there still is any support. :-)

First of all, great game! I've lost soooo much sleep to this game in the last couple weeks, and for the most part it runs flawlessly!

On a few occasions, I've had the game crash on me, but then when I load it up again, it would continue just fine. So I didn't think it was worth trying to track those down... I know first hand how hard it is to fix something you can't reproduce!

But now, I have a save game that crashes every time I undock from the station I'm saved at. It's in Aladna Hill, I have two of my own ships in the sector and two pirate ships (which is why I was undocking just now).

I'm on Debian Wheezy, 64-bit, with the binary nvidia driver, version 304.117-1 packaged by the Debian maintainers in non-free. I've installed X3: Reunion via steam.

I've backed up three save files: the autosave & manual save that crash, plus the previous autosave from half an hour before that doesn't crash (yet?) I'm not sure how to post those save files... I don't see any method to attach a file to this post.

Let me know what would be the best way to get those files to you...
Also, if there is any way to get a usable backtrace or error log, please let me know.

Thanks!

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 11:38

@cmdrwalrus

You can just send them to my email: timon@egosoft.com
Alternatively somekinda filesharing site, or dropbox and just send me a link via email.

rasper

Cant play X3 after reinstall Linux Mint

Post by rasper » Sun, 22. Jun 14, 16:25

I've reinstalled Linux Mint to latest release (17).
And now cant play X3 Terran Conflict from Steam.
I think I need to install some additional packets, but don't know what I need.

When I start game I see:
[ external image ]
I cant tune graphics:
[ external image ]

Could anybody help me?

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Cant play X3 after reinstall Linux Mint

Post by timon37 » Mon, 23. Jun 14, 10:13

@rasper

That's probably some missing gtk2 themes though that shouldn't hinder the game itself.
Does anything happen if you try pressing the barely visible "Start X3TC" text? Or is it actually impossible to press it?

Though if it's just themes my guess would be that the graphics settings should still work e.g. if you press on 1280x1024 you should see a few more resolutions and you should be able to select them, but I understand that's not the case?

Ohh and try navigating into the game folder (usually ~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/X3 Terran Conflict), and launch X3TC_config directly.

rasper

Post by rasper » Mon, 23. Jun 14, 19:08

@timon37

You are right.
I've started game successfully when I've saw and clicked barely visible "Start X3TC" text.

And I see absolutely normal settings dialog when launching X3TC_config directly.
It's strange for me.
But at least I can play now.

Thank you.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”