New Sectors&New Ships Thread

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Tue, 12. Apr 05, 01:21

And BTW, here is the map for my Mod. The "story" is that the Argon found a new gate to another part of the galaxy. Unfortunly it is home to the Khaak. :(

[ external image ]

And all of that shows up in game! :D
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

Amon RAy (RAider.EG)
x2

Post by Amon RAy (RAider.EG) » Tue, 12. Apr 05, 09:38

Is the including of x2story.obj in cat\dat - produce changes in game?...I mean - do you try this?...we did not tryed it yet.
Maybe game fill take this info from MOD cat\dat, but maybe - not. Which obfj-file has a great priority - original or included in mod?
If this way is possible - there will be no need in batch files.

PS. I am still waiting about english readme ;)
Sed tamen potest esse totaliter aliter.(Lat.)

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Tue, 12. Apr 05, 14:16

It really depends if you've extracted all of the '01-04.cat/dat's useing x2tool.exe. IF you haven't you'll have to either make a cat/dat with the obj files you've changed (make sure it's in the "L" directory!) and put it in "\mods\" like a normal mod. Or you could rename the cat/dat to 05 and put it into your main directory and I think it'll be loaded automaticly.

If you HAVE extracted "01-04 cat/dat" then I think you can leave the two obj files where they are in order for them to work. And the files in mods ALWAYS override the original.

So in the end, yes making a mod with the modified .obj files (In the "L" directory!!!) will work. I know this because how I'm testing this is with my GalaxyMod. :shock:

(Which readme? The map one or the Ship one? I already TOLD you that you can get the english Patch0.05 readme from within the .zip)

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Tue, 12. Apr 05, 14:34

Amon RAy said:
Is the including of x2story.obj in cat\dat - produce changes in game?
I can confirm CKarl's comment. I have both versions of my mods running with the "\L" folder included in the cat/dat files.
I'm testing for a weekend release, and at this point, everything works fine.

milling_hordesman
x3

Post by milling_hordesman » Tue, 12. Apr 05, 14:56

can confirm as well; just package them up in either a mod or 05.cat/dat (or whatever the highest numer is for you). when a new game begins the change is apparent. i haven't tested if it alters saved games, but it definately changes all new games.
//----------------------------------
--the milling_hordesman

Me Mods

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Tue, 12. Apr 05, 15:22

What to you mean by alter save games? Do you mean that you don't know if it saves the new ships? Or something else? Because it should save/load properly. :?

milling_hordesman
x3

Post by milling_hordesman » Tue, 12. Apr 05, 17:31

what i mean was this: way you're playing a game and you currently own a disco. then you change the disco to an m3 class ship in both the x2story.obj file and the tships file. i don't think it would change the definition of the disco (either your current one or a newly spawned one) in your saved game.

actually, i just tested this with a khaak m3 in one of my old saved games. i spawned a new khaak m3 and it was still m3 class, not m6 class like my current definitions are. so it does not change the content (x2story ship definitions, at least) of saved games.
--the milling_hordesman

Me Mods

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Tue, 12. Apr 05, 19:01

Since TShips and the ship table imbeded in the .obj file are "line item sensitive", there should never be a problem loading a prior save game...as long as the entry for any ship that existed in the save game is still there.

Obviously, going backward will be a major no-no. Clearly, if you add ship entries and subsequently spawn them into the game, you cannot then go back to the original .obj, and still be able to load any of the save games created with the expanded .obj file.

Probably obvious...but thought I'd mention it.

Stealth
x2

Post by Stealth » Wed, 13. Apr 05, 17:11

This is fantastic. I knew someone'd make a breakthrough in this, but I had no idea it'd be this soon. Hats off :mrgreen:

Now, to be the exception from a warning, let's see what a relative newbie can do without step-by-step guides. :twisted:

D_Zorro
x3tc

Post by D_Zorro » Wed, 13. Apr 05, 17:19

Great job you guys. So when can we expect new ships ingame with the current ones ??? :D Let's have 500 +++ ships ingame please so get started. :P :P

DZorro,
System spec: Pentium (R) D 2.66 Ghz, Ram : 2048 DDR, HD : 250 GIG 7200 RPM intern 8 MB cash
Videocard : Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb : Realtek
Laptop : AMD athlon 64 3200 + 1024 DDR 80 gig HD Conexant AMC Audio, Ati mobility Radeon Express 200

Sindwiller [ITF]

Post by Sindwiller [ITF] » Wed, 13. Apr 05, 17:23

Ahsom!

:o :o :o

Can this work also with the Weapon Slots?

mfg, Sindwiller
Deutsches X3-Modding Wiki und Forum
#dev-kammer auf irc.gamesurge.net

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Wed, 13. Apr 05, 17:26

D_Zorro wrote:Great job you guys. So when can we expect new ships ingame with the current ones ??? :D Let's have 500 +++ ships ingame please so get started. :P :P

DZorro,
Now now Zor... Let's not overdo it. Remember the computer has to store the models, especially if you have it set to Cache 3D data. Don't want to overload the system that's already being pushed as it is now do we?

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Wed, 13. Apr 05, 17:30

Another thing unknown to Zor is that theres a current max of 50 new ships. :shock:

And Sindwiller, I do not think this will work for adding new weapons. I think those are WAY to hard coded. :cry:

Sindwiller [ITF]

Post by Sindwiller [ITF] » Wed, 13. Apr 05, 17:54

CKarl wrote:Another thing unknown to Zor is that theres a current max of 50 new ships. :shock:

And Sindwiller, I do not think this will work for adding new weapons. I think those are WAY to hard coded. :cry:
Sh** and crack!

mfg, Sindwiller
Deutsches X3-Modding Wiki und Forum
#dev-kammer auf irc.gamesurge.net

Amon RAy (RAider.EG)
x2

Post by Amon RAy (RAider.EG) » Wed, 13. Apr 05, 18:32

[quote="CKarl"]Another thing unknown to Zor is that theres a current max of 50 new ships. :shock:

And Sindwiller, I do not think this will work for adding new weapons. I think those are WAY to hard coded. :cry:[/quote]

The count of new ships - defined in CheckerTwo`s source codes. It can be changed by recompiling his programm ;)...
I think - double count - 228 ships must be enougth - do you think so?

About adding new weapons - for this - enother part of obj file must be edited, and we dont know yet - which one. Only Developers know ;)...

If someone ask one of Devs. in PM and reciev an answer with info - we`ll glad to use it on programm :)...

D_Zorro
x3tc

Post by D_Zorro » Wed, 13. Apr 05, 18:33

CKarl wrote:Another thing unknown to Zor is that theres a current max of 50 new ships. :shock:

Okey so i got carried away a little, but 50 is more then enough for now. :P
Anyway now we can get more corvettes and and smaller fighters, so get to it. :twisted: :P :P :D

DZorro,
System spec: Pentium (R) D 2.66 Ghz, Ram : 2048 DDR, HD : 250 GIG 7200 RPM intern 8 MB cash
Videocard : Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb : Realtek
Laptop : AMD athlon 64 3200 + 1024 DDR 80 gig HD Conexant AMC Audio, Ati mobility Radeon Express 200

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Wed, 13. Apr 05, 18:40

I'll be happy when I can add the following.

Fighters:
F-14 X
F-16 X
F-18 X
F-22 X

Small ships:

Galaxy Police Cruiser (Tenchi Muyo OVA and Tenchi GXP)
Corellian YT-1300 (Star Wars

Large Capital Ships
Mikagami (Tenchi GXP)
Imperator II Star Destroyer (Star Wars)
Mon Calimary 85a Independance Star Cruiser (Star Wars, Return of the Jedi, battle of Endor, Ackbar's ship the 'Home One' )
Sovereign Class Federation Ship Enterprise E (Harlock's working on that one.)

That's only eleven is it not?

rustybucket
x3

Post by rustybucket » Wed, 13. Apr 05, 21:26

Raider,

Don't forget the AP Gunner, the X2 UFO, the Xenon MO, and many-many of your excellent ship designs.

Would this allow us to do anything to change the basic configuration of the ships:

i.e.:
1) Allowing the M6 to carry something other then an M5
2) Allowing the M2 to carry TP or TS ships
3) Creating something that could carry M5, M4, M3, TS, TP, and M6 ships (something along the lines of your Glaxy Class Superliner - anyone for Battlestar Galactica?)

I have always wondered whether it is possible to cheat the X2 engine into spawning multiple ship models that appear to function as a single ship. For instance creating 50% of a ships body on one m1, and the other 50% on a second M1; then having the two fly in absolute unison thus creating a ship with multiple launch tubes, or one receiving and one launching bay.

Using multiple ship slots to define a single model would allow for a unique package of turrets, launch tubes, shields and other devices. It would also provide real time compartmentalization and perhaps even a graphic representation of battle damage. You would have to continually shift shields and other hardware between the ship slots to maximize efficiency, and someone could actually destroy significant portions of your ship without effecting the rest of it. You could actually have your primary engines blown away and have to rely on secondary engines (all components function as if they had the engines of ship A - if that no longer exists then they function as though they have the components of ship B). It would be an interesting way to construct a massive MO class ships. We didn't have the slots to define a ship as an MO's bridge or hindquarters; but, perhaps that is something that we can do now.

Such an M0 might be constructed from a combination of:

2xM2 - Primary weapons batteries port and starboard
4xM1 - Two receiving and two launch bays - the receiving carriers ready
and "transport the ships to the launch bays.
1xTL - Primary engines/cargo bay
1xM6- Primary Bridge (you can default (be automatically transported) to
a secondary bridge in each of the other modules - however, only
this one has access to the full gambit of the many command
features)

The game would see this as a fleet of ships that just somehow happen to fly the at near zero separation. But, from the players perspective it would be a very large ship equiped with up to 56 functional turrets, 4 main fighter bays, several secondary ship bays, real long range cargo capacity, and a very elaborate bridge. Since the bodies of each component are designed to fit together; destroying one of the ships - like the port side M2 would reveal the side of the adjoining M1s; those sides could be texured to look like so much battle damage - adding to the overall illusion.

milling_hordesman
x3

Post by milling_hordesman » Wed, 13. Apr 05, 23:06

thr first part of your ideas, about ships carrying types they're not meant for, would not be possible (as far as i know). those specifics are hard-coded, so we can't touch 'em, unfortunately.

the later part, with the multiple ships... that's an interesting idea. i could even see it working, sort of. i mean, with a few trig calculations you could make the pieces all stick together. you could handle the engines thing by changing the definition of which ship is actualy free-flying and which ships get "dragged along". man, some times i wish there were 5 of me so i could do school, work, and all of the cool different mod ideas i see crop up here.
--the milling_hordesman

Me Mods

Amon RAy (RAider.EG)
x2

Post by Amon RAy (RAider.EG) » Wed, 13. Apr 05, 23:14

2 rusty

I think, you should know - what you can not do in game:
1)multyple launching from one scene-model(if this scene consist of two m1s - anyway they`ll migth have only one launching body).
2)you can not target to subsystem on ship - like target on engines. You can not limit ship speed by script to less than 1 M\s ;)
- I think, this functions of game engine - can not be changed in .obj. For this - you need to change the implementation of functions - and recompile game exe.

In perspective - we`ll can to define our completely new class of ships - this info stored in .obj files. But for this - we must know, how to define docking avaibility for this new class. We dont know yet.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”