Top Gun Mod V2.5

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

++][nquisitor++
x3tc

Post by ++][nquisitor++ » Mon, 19. Sep 05, 20:37

Well I must say, I'm quite pleased with how the Ai uses the beam weapons on moving targets, it seems to give it a nice 'cutting' motion, which fits in pefectly with the White Star giving it that Babylon 5 feeling to it. The pulse lasers, for me, gives combat a slightly faster and fluid feeling, something I thought lacked before in non-capital class battles in normal X2

The only thing I've noticed with the beam weapons is that they're a hell of alot more destructive when you stick your ship on autopilot to attack. Manually firing them you can bring a M3's shields down to about 10% before running out of power, but with the autopilot it manages to destroy it completely before you've ran out of power. However, I'm not gonna complain about it, considering how quickley those Orinoco's can destroy an M6, lol.
Last edited by ++][nquisitor++ on Mon, 19. Sep 05, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

keitherwild6
x2

Post by keitherwild6 » Mon, 19. Sep 05, 21:33

Heya!!

I've played X2 forever, but I was never able to catch a pirate ship with a disco, even with the strafe drive a few shots will send me to the main menu.

Armed with the pulse laser or a alpha particle cannon and load of wasps I just can't seem to get a pirate ship's shield down.

Any strategies that doesn't include the use of a wingman?

StormSinger
x4

Post by StormSinger » Mon, 19. Sep 05, 22:11

Good stuff, some nice looking models and I like the new weapons. It's unfortunate that more than half the ships are mere cannon fodder in a real fight, but that's easily remedied...

Thanks Harlock (and of course, all the others mentioned), I'm sure I'll be using this mod for some time.

...at least until I get around to dumping my own models in the game (which could take awhile... just lazy). :roll:

inscrutable
x3

Arghhhhh - so frustrated

Post by inscrutable » Mon, 19. Sep 05, 22:22

Okay, I'm really feeling like a noob - I'm not proud of it, but it's true.

I just can't seem to get the mod to work. I've got X2 patched to v1.4 and have moved "init.topgun.text.xml" to the scripts folder. However, I just can't find the "447601.xml" file.

I know one of the posts said that it was packed in the cat & dat files but to be absolutely honest I'm not sure what that means. Needless to say, when I run the game it all loads but all of the ships appear to be the same. Is there a sure-fire way of checking to see whether the mod is actually running? Am I missing out a simple, but vital step? Am I going mad? Please help!

P.S. Honestly, I'm not thick, I'm just a little "special" when it comes to things like this!

keitherwild6
x2

????????

Post by keitherwild6 » Mon, 19. Sep 05, 22:27

I said with a disco. I know how to use an Ion distruptor. The disco does not have slots for Ion distruptors... or am I wrong? Let me check... There! No slots its Impulse ray emmiters the alpha particle cannon, the mass driver and the lastly the pulse laser.

Harlock and company, I am writing a novel based on X, and I was hoping to use your ships. Will that be alright? Take a look at the first few chapters its in the Creative forum, its the SAGAN CHRONICLES. Tell me if you don't mind.

++][nquisitor++
x3tc

Post by ++][nquisitor++ » Mon, 19. Sep 05, 23:17

Well I've managed to take out a pirate ship with a Jaguar using the strafe drive and pulse lasers, took awhile tho. Should be easier with the Disco, as it has better speed and shielding (tho 1 MW doesn't make much difference anyways)

Harlock776
x2

install snafu

Post by Harlock776 » Tue, 20. Sep 05, 00:02

for the install problems... thanks to me too hastily releasing this mod the install info got screwed up but I corrected it at the original mod thread over at *** basically you don't have to worry about the language file because it's part of the mod files now so it's noob proof hehe. The only time you will have problems with readtext errors or something like that is if you are running a different language version of X2 the Threat like anything besides english language version. This mod was made on the US english version of the game and won't work right with other versions until you change the language file to the apropriate language and even then it will still be read in english.

You can take down a pirate TS with a disco or other m5 ships... if you just want to destroy them then get yourself two mass drivers and load up on ammo and it's easy cuz the mass driver does more damage per shot in my mod. If you want to capture however it's different... Use wasp missiles and get the shields down and then attack with the pulse laser or use iond if the particular m5 will use it and combo it with a pulse laser. The pulse laser does double the damage on shield and hull than the gamma IRE so it's more useful. I've found that a combo of ion cannon and heavy pulse laser will get anyone to bail real soon lol but those guns are for heavier ships.

Syan

Post by Syan » Tue, 20. Sep 05, 02:54

I was having probs with the mod, worrying about the /t files.
What I overlooked was at the the startup screen before the game loads was the mod selection tab.
Seems like a no-brainer in hindsight,but neglected to select it as this was the first mod I tryed.

Edit:
inscrutable wrote: Is there a sure-fire way of checking to see whether the mod is actually running?

Theres a Top Gun splash screen that appears when the game loads.
Last edited by Syan on Tue, 20. Sep 05, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.

rustybucket
x3

Post by rustybucket » Tue, 20. Sep 05, 02:56

Question:

What is the correct maximum weapons load for the Sovereign? According to the X2 Editor, uses an unspecified cockpit and mounts weapons which do not show T-ship files.

I have tried to load various weapons, but only the front mounts will accept weapons. :?:

Harlock776
x2

x2editor

Post by Harlock776 » Tue, 20. Sep 05, 05:35

Well you have to remember how x2editor works. Here is how my modding area worked for me. Basically I would have a folder with all my mod files in it. Tships, Tcockpits, Tlaser etc. would all be there. If you tell x2editor the directory for your files that your changing and make sure all the files you need are in that directory then x2editor will display the correct info. If you exclude any files then it won't know what to show you. Take a look at the tcockpits file from my mod and you will find M0 cockpits. Those are for the sovereign and they can only hold beam weapons, alpha psg, and the ion cannon weapons. At first I was thinking of leaving off the ion cannon but since it worked more like a weapon of the federation i.e. disable a ship more than destroy it I decided to leave it in. A ppc shooting out of a phaser array would look pretty lame and thats why the ship doesn't use them. seeing a phaser like weapon shooting out of the phaser array on the sovereign just looks better and more like startrek hehe:-)

So basically the ship can arm lasertower weapons, heavy laser, alpha psg, and ion cannon all the way around. Oh yeah and phase cannons in the front array. :D sitting on the bridge and watching that set of phase cannons blast into a xenon k is totally awesome especially since I try to manage two volleys into each k that I go straignt after. The first volley from the max range of the phase cannon which is 12k and then again after the guns have recharged and if the k is still alive by that time I get a second volley off to finish the job while the turrets are chewing the k up with heavy lasers. Oh btw those large front gun mounts on the k aren't just for ppc to shoot out of... if the xenons ever spawn a k in with phase cannons you will know it lol.

rustybucket
x3

Post by rustybucket » Tue, 20. Sep 05, 15:16

If you tell x2editor the directory for your files that your changing and make sure all the files you need are in that directory then x2editor will display the correct info.
Warning:

I upgraded to release 0.37 of the X2Editor and that corrected it. I was previously on version 35, and making adjustments with that version can corrupt the model. I suspect that version 35 disabled some of the new hacks that you are using to support the new weapondry.

Oh.... very Star Trek like :) :P :)

Harlock776
x2

latest stuff

Post by Harlock776 » Tue, 20. Sep 05, 21:58

Yep always good to have the latest version of X2Editor instead of the older stuff especially since version 35.

Harlock776
x2

plot improvements

Post by Harlock776 » Wed, 21. Sep 05, 07:42

I reached the end of the plot with my mod installed just to see what a destroyed custom argon titan looks like and it was AWESOME hehe it really did look exactly as I wanted it to... BLOWN UP lol. The argon capships thare were there were using phase cannons first to attack anything in range haha it was awesome watching and hearing a bunch of khaaka capships explode all around me just as soon as I jumped into the last big battle. Sadly I found that I still had to use psg guns to get all those pesky hard points on the M0 but man those argon capships were shooting down everything in sight hehe:-)

inscrutable
x3

Post by inscrutable » Wed, 21. Sep 05, 09:25

Thanks Harlock776 and Syan, I did manage to get the mod working last night and I absolutely love it!

Confession: I hadn't noticed the "mods" button on the launcher, so that's where I was going wrong. Stupid me. I'll get my coat...

ld..
x4

Post by ld.. » Wed, 21. Sep 05, 23:19

hi Shadowtek,
I've tried downloading your mod but all i get is a page full of jargon, no download.

is it possible to provide an alternative download site please.

Thanks in advance.

++][nquisitor++
x3tc

Post by ++][nquisitor++ » Thu, 22. Sep 05, 00:27

If you get the page full of jargon just tell it to "Save page as...", choose a spot to save it to and it will download it normally, because all you're doing it looking at the .rar file in text.

Harlock776
x2

Name

Post by Harlock776 » Thu, 22. Sep 05, 04:59

hmm... I wasn't aware that I changed my name to shadowtek lol but my mod is hosted on his site lol.

Harlock776
x2

sound issue

Post by Harlock776 » Sat, 24. Sep 05, 10:37

Ok so far nobody has reported in mass some particular problem with the mod other than the install info that I goofed up lol but there is one user having some trouble with sound.

For some reason his game crashes everytime a gun he fires impacts with a target. Something to do with the impact sound yet he states that the problem doesn't occur with the default game or with other mods. If anyone else has ran into this same problem please post here thanks. Oh btw his hardware setup is very good, audigy 2 sound card on a very good mobo and cpu etc and everything is updated to latest version he says so I'm really stumped at this point as to what is causing it.

StormSinger
x4

Post by StormSinger » Sat, 24. Sep 05, 10:55

I have noticed that when I hit something with a barrage from the Phase Cannon, the game slows to a frame-by-frame crawl. Sometimes, even stopping altogether for a few seconds. I haven't had it crash yet, but it comes real close.

Harlock776
x2

thats true

Post by Harlock776 » Sat, 24. Sep 05, 11:40

Well the result of a phase cannon impact is the exploding fighter visual effect and the same exploding sound effect from missiles and exploding fighters. That will lag the game slightly for those using P4 systems and barely at all for people using P4 with hyperthreading but if your on something that is 2HZ or less with no dual channel memory support or fast memory like pc3200 and 800 fsb then this mod will lag a lot but not so much as it's older versions thanks to me changing the impact visual effect of all hept and ppc and beam weapons to the same effect used by the mass driver. I couldn't believe how much that impoved my capship battles in the xenon sectors.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”