Centaur v km3

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

stella
x2

Centaur v km3

Post by stella » Wed, 29. Dec 04, 20:30

I just watched one of my sector defence Centaurs take on a single KM3.

I was in-sector, sat in a station.

You know what's coming, don't you?

The Centaur got killed within about a minute. 2x125mw shield, 2xGHEPT, 2xBHEPT, turrets set to "gunnery crews GQ", full crew compliment.

It went something like this. Km3 shields down to 67%, then rising back to 100%. In the meantime, Centaur shields - 100%.....90%....80%....70%............20%....10%....0%.....BOOM!

Now that's just f*cking bollocks!

I don't give a shit about the fact that in-sector and OOS are worked out differently, a KM3 on its' own should not be able to take out a Centaur. Especially having taken no damage, save from the initial hit.
Attack enemies in radius -here

GaddyG
x3tc

Post by GaddyG » Wed, 29. Dec 04, 20:35

we could take out a centaur in a KM3, so why shouldnt a KM3 be able to take out one of our centaurs?
it could probably take one in sector too under the right circumstances.
It's The End Of The World As We Know It, And I Feel Fiiiiiiiine...

The Great Stonk
x3tc

Post by The Great Stonk » Wed, 29. Dec 04, 20:51

the centaurs firepower is in its front mounts. since the km3 can easily out turn the centaur, he only gets hit by 1 bhept, unless hes dumb enough to stop still infront of the m6's big guns.

its perfectly logical really.

olisimar
x2

Post by olisimar » Wed, 29. Dec 04, 21:08

Yeah but you in a KM3 and me in a Centaur? I'm a fair skipper so prepare
to get raped. Yeah you got it, if the AI ran the numbers the poor KM3
would suck spacedust as the centaur never stop firing if handled right.
And as for ramming, be my guest, please do ram me scrap metal...

Nah, your AI is smoking spaceweed and drinking spacefuel trying to OD
while the enemy AI is stonecold sober and have taken a crashcourse
with Rommel, McArthur, Yeager and the Red Baron as how to fight...
Split PR: It's called kickin' ass and crushing the skulls of any ass who steps on my toes.
That seems to work, people dig it.

fuzzywuzzy
x3tc

Post by fuzzywuzzy » Wed, 29. Dec 04, 21:12

This is why I use Ks for sector defence.

stella
x2

Post by stella » Wed, 29. Dec 04, 21:39

This is why I use Ks for sector defence.
I'm only AoA2 4% atm, and the thought of sitting in Khaak space for the next 3 days isn't making me smile too much.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Wed, 29. Dec 04, 21:49

The reason the Centaur lost is because the KM3 and the Centaur were circling each other. The Centaur's turret was firing at the lead indicator for the KM3, and was missing with 100% of its shots because the KM3 was on a curved path, which the lead indicator cannot anticipate. The KM3, with such fast weapons, has no problem hitting the Centaur.

Because of this, in the active sector, any KM3 can take on and defeat any M6. I've watched one destroy an entire Hydra patrol (3 corvettes) once.

Any human would realise that they were missing by a constant amount. Unfortunately, the turret AI doesn't have any intuition.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

antman112
x4

Post by antman112 » Wed, 29. Dec 04, 22:07

if your in the system and you have any M6 on potrole then thay will lose i lost all 3 of my M6 becoz i was in system its just there to dam fast and the rate of there weps fire is better if your out of system then its the stats that win
if your in the M6 then you win coz your better then the AI (i hope) if your in the KM3 then you win coz it fast and your better then the AI (i relly hope you are)

any way have fun :lol:
sorry of any spelling mistakes

DenYaSis
x2

Post by DenYaSis » Wed, 29. Dec 04, 23:14

yeah I've actually seen a cluster take down a parinid M2 to about 77% or so on its sheilds. Kinda weird. The M3 apparently was in a "bind spot" in the M2's side as the M2 wasn't even firing back for the longest time at the m3.

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 00:55

hmm, ive seen the centaur of the PE task force take out an entire cluster while i was in sector... didnt had any problems with the khaak m3, i think the centaur got down to 70% at most....

stella
x2

Post by stella » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 01:52

It seems to me, that in sector combat puts a really big handicap on player ships.

Come to think of it, I've never seen one of my own M6's win a fight against the Khaak in sector.

holo_doctor
x3tc

Post by holo_doctor » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 03:28

My osprey handle M3s quite well (considing i fly then in 5X wing formation so there no chance)

I agree that Kyons are very mcuh the prblem. its the only instant hit weapon bar the IONd and Orbital laser (which we cant mount on any ship).

The problem is such as the kyons are the most distructive weapons in the game in sector (there OOS scores should be uped to refelt this i feel)

All we have are slow (compared to kyons) moving projectile weapony that has a 90% chance of missing cuse 1 its so slow (faster projectiles like MD are more like what we should have) and 2 slow turrents. why the hell you you make a weapin that takes 5 to 10 to moe 90 degrees and 3 turrnts are not smart enough to correct for change in direction or anticipate these changes.

THe only wepon they did get right was the PSG (could be turned down a little though) Good turn rate nice fiering excelent damage.

We been promised by the developers new weapon in the return hopefully its something that will match the Kyons
i7-930 2.8Ghz quad core
6gig DDR3-1600 3 channel Ram
Nvida GTX470
64gig SSD / 1TB Hitachi

BDStyle
x3tc

Post by BDStyle » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 03:33

hmm i have quite a few ospreys and centaurs, 1 in each of my main sectors. I've only lost 1 and that was the ONLY dragon i bought lol.

I find centaurs rule for oos defence as they are a bargain for price :) howevr i have seen some weird things like my mates titan get destroyed by a small cluster. I guess the km3 hid in a blind spot or something :?

stella
x2

Post by stella » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 03:38

I find centaurs rule for oos defence
I said in-sector.[/quote]

fuzzywuzzy
x3tc

Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 03:54

To get to AOA1st, you could just park your Ody (Hopefully you have one?) in front of the Xenon shipyard and let the game run overnight (Put a weight on the strafe drive key). You should get atleast a 50% boost in combat rank.

BDStyle
x3tc

Post by BDStyle » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 03:59

sorry bud i also meant in sector to... i've sat and watched them fight in and outr sector... i do see them do weird things like not turn to attack whats right behind them for ages but they don't do it long enough to die.. even against large clusters. I can however see your point, iff the ai can do what i've seen it do so far i guess it can be worse.

Steel Toad
x2

Post by Steel Toad » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 06:29

fuzzywuzzy wrote:To get to AOA1st, you could just park your Ody (Hopefully you have one?) in front of the Xenon shipyard and let the game run overnight (Put a weight on the strafe drive key). You should get atleast a 50% boost in combat rank.
What happens when the strafe drive key is a button on your joystick?

Anyway, KM3's are nowhere near a problem in any M6 I have used (the 2 i havent used yet are nemesis and dragon... never took the time to build up relations with split and paranid)

I used a centaur for in-sector defense for my factory network in Brennan's triumph for a long time. I single-handedly destroyed entire Khaak clusters, even those superclusters with 25+ M5's, all from my centaur. As long as you come up on a non-separated cluster from behind, you can blast it form behind and it will do nothing to you for like 6 seconds. That is long enough to destroy a KM3 with GHEPTs. If the M3 dies, the others aren't a problem, unless you are unlucky enough to get a KM5 with 400+ speed.
Blowing up SPP's can cause a blackout...

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 06:34

I caught a supercluster from behind with a Pyranid M3... mounted with dual Beta PSG. The entire cluster's M5 compliment was zortched in the first salvo. The M3 was easy pickings. The Alpha Hept I had in my third (Top mounted) gun concentraited and finished it off. The Khaak probably wondered what happened.

D_Zorro
x3tc

Post by D_Zorro » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 10:48

Yes but psg's won't work all the time especcially in friendly sectors. Normally the cluster just worp in near friendlies and then you can't use psg's or iond's unless you won't mind hitting the friendlies allongside too. That's why egosoft. Must devellop new weapons to counter act this kyion emitter. It is allready ridiculess that they can fire from 3 km from afar and hit you 100% of the time, while your weapons only fire from 1.5 to 2km afor and only have a 10% chance of hitting the enemy. they say psg's or iond's are overpowered but actually it is the threat that's actually overpowered. Because when you get hull damage not only will your ship slow down but you will also lose the battle then. but that are right, a km3 should never be allowed to kill M6 or lager craft by itself. So far the only way i killed an m6 my self was with a bit of luck, some strafe drive and beta psg's from my perseus, and alot of diving . But the km3 was only flying blast blast and boom away m6. Without strafe without psg's and defanantly without diving. Am i missing something out here??? :roll:

So before anything else they should remove this stupid slwoing down from hull damage immidiatly, cause the ai ain't slowing down only your ships does. Or they should put back the way the ai was before patch 1.4 at least then you could see how an m6 destroyed an km3.

DZorro,
System spec: Pentium (R) D 2.66 Ghz, Ram : 2048 DDR, HD : 250 GIG 7200 RPM intern 8 MB cash
Videocard : Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb : Realtek
Laptop : AMD athlon 64 3200 + 1024 DDR 80 gig HD Conexant AMC Audio, Ati mobility Radeon Express 200

Khardur
x3

Post by Khardur » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 12:50

the problem isn't all because of the refire rate/speed of your projectiles. Part of it is the AI takes a big ship like a Centaur and tries to dogfight a khaak m3. With it's superior turning, the KM3 can win (not always, but many times for sure)

There's a few things that might help, try mounting smaller weapons on it (or keep them onboard for when you're in-sector...) maybe mass drivers would work better against such a foe? (I can't remember what a Centaur can mount you must forgive me)

give it missiles to use. they taste great and they're less filling too... and lately (against me at least) the AI likes to use them at good times. (see below about the 4 novas and centaur combo)

have more ships work together, I use a centaur and a dragon together in my home sectors, the dragon ends up busting the cluster up, the centaur usually gets there not long after (the sector patrol seems to keep them together until just before they get in range.

When all else fails, if you notice a cluster in sector, don't let your AI pilots go it alone. Think about it, you in a maxed out Nova/Perseus/etc. could take out an m6 by yourself, why shouldn't the AI be able to do the same?
But try taking out 1 centaur and 4 novas together with a lone m3 when they're shooting hornet missiles at you and that's a perfectly different story! (Not that it can't be done, but it sure starts to rely heavily on luck)

-khardur

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”