Multicore argument (split from Military Base Response rev.)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Tue, 8. Dec 09, 20:23

jlehtone wrote:@Incubi: I did try turning the 'Threaded optimization' off (it was on by default?) but saw no drop in X3R. Lucky me?
Gazz wrote:
DVT wrote:Not in C++? aww dang,I thought as much.
Build a 300 station complex and you'll see that it was written in Turtle.
But for 1000+ station complexes it shifts to Whitespace.

On by default? Maybe you had it set globaly. Auto is the default on all the drivers I used. If you set it from auto to off then there would be no difference. If it is set to On and not auto then I can only imagine that maybe you have vsync on? which means that your system does not any extra help to run it, but it may kick in in mega complex sectors. Or large battles. Do you have a save just before the final plot mission? That movie tends to be rather slow regardless of performance before you get there. If you have x3tc that may be a better test. Again that it was set to on and not to auto. Otherwise see next paragraph.

Also none of my sytems had quad core or sli. for what its worth. The setting enhanced my performance with x3r with my 7600 gts with both with my 8800 gts and probably not needed much with my current 275 gtx. Save for when I get into huge battles and mega complexes. All my cpus have been athalon ranging from 2.1 to current 3.0 ghz ( current is the athalon ii so its faster than the standard athalon 3.0 ghz ) In all cases the performance was very noticable increase, save I have not tested the last one.. no need to fix whatis not broken and provenreliable to me :D

There was a 1.8 and another video card for x3r that it helped with, but damned if I can't remember the card :( But it helped then too.

beyond this I have no idea, maybe I am just lucky it works so wellfor me? I also run Xp on all the systems.....would that matter?

thoggarth
x4

Post by thoggarth » Tue, 8. Dec 09, 23:33

I remember when TC came out, and I decided that I needed to upgrade my PC. The old one was single core (2.8Ghz) with hyperthreading and was struggling with X3R. However, luckily I had read some post years back saying that the engine handed changed from X3 and that it only used a single core. As a result I chose a dual core PC with high clock speed (2.4 Ghz) rather than Quad core with a lower clock speed. Call me sad for making my PC choice around one game with an old engine, but I enjoy it that much!
Anyway, despite the clock speed being slower, it looks as though all the background tasks from Windows run on one core, and X3TC runs like a dream on the other.

PS Got a better graphics card too, but it was always the CPU that was slowing things down.

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Sat, 12. Dec 09, 19:11

Rive wrote:
Cycrow wrote:i think the next topic will be about multiplayer.
Nope - the next will be the UFO base :P
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=266457

:lol:

So the NEXT one will be the multiplayer 8)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 12. Dec 09, 19:57

thoggarth wrote:Call me sad for making my PC choice around one game with an old engine, but I enjoy it that much!
Choosing the hardware based on what you want to use it for is the only sensible way to do it.
Buying a gaming rig just to run a word processor and email is so many kinds of stupid...

New game engines don't pop up overnight. I have yet to find any game (that I'd want to play) that seriously benefits from "multi cores".
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

aka1nas
x4

Post by aka1nas » Fri, 25. Dec 09, 11:27

thoggarth wrote:I remember when TC came out, and I decided that I needed to upgrade my PC. The old one was single core (2.8Ghz) with hyperthreading and was struggling with X3R. However, luckily I had read some post years back saying that the engine handed changed from X3 and that it only used a single core. As a result I chose a dual core PC with high clock speed (2.4 Ghz) rather than Quad core with a lower clock speed. Call me sad for making my PC choice around one game with an old engine, but I enjoy it that much!
Anyway, despite the clock speed being slower, it looks as though all the background tasks from Windows run on one core, and X3TC runs like a dream on the other.

PS Got a better graphics card too, but it was always the CPU that was slowing things down.
I ended up upgrading to an I7 and overclocking it to 4.2Ghz just for the single-threaded performance in TC. :lol:

It has enough headroom now to get some scaling with SLI at least.

Stat.1ed
x3tc

Post by Stat.1ed » Fri, 25. Dec 09, 22:06

I agree with all the dual/quad-core users. I paid €135 for my AMD Phenom II X4 955 quad-core and TC only uses one core. So when I'm running TC taskmanager shows that about 26% of the CPU is used. The rest of the system only uses a single percent. Quite a shame I think.

So in sectors full of asteroids it lags with 4xAA 8xAF and texture/shader-settings on high. I think it will run smoother if TC is multi-threaded.

Egosoft, will you please improve this? Thanks.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 26. Dec 09, 00:35

Stat.1ed wrote:I agree with all the dual/quad-core users. I paid €135 for my AMD Phenom II X4 955 quad-core and TC only uses one core. So when I'm running TC taskmanager shows that about 26% of the CPU is used. The rest of the system only uses a single percent. Quite a shame I think.

So in sectors full of asteroids it lags with 4xAA 8xAF and texture/shader-settings on high. I think it will run smoother if TC is multi-threaded.

Egosoft, will you please improve this? Thanks.
if you read the thread u'll see that its not something thats easily fixed, and the chances of it happening for TC is about 0%

Stat.1ed
x3tc

Post by Stat.1ed » Sat, 26. Dec 09, 14:59

Cycrow wrote:if you read the thread u'll see that its not something thats easily fixed, and the chances of it happening for TC is about 0%
I know, but I posted this to show that I support the solving of this matter. :wink:
aka1nas wrote:I ended up upgrading to an I7 and overclocking it to 4.2Ghz just for the single-threaded performance in TC.
You could use the "Intel® Turbo Boost Technology" function of the i7. It overclocks one core for a period of time (while you are playing TC for instance) and in the meanwhile underclocks the other three cores.

Apocholypse
x3

Post by Apocholypse » Sat, 26. Dec 09, 16:23

Robert Foster wrote:Ego can be much larger then they have now if they just rewrite the engine to keep up with the times.
No, rewriting the engine will not make egosoft anymore popular, the fact of the matter is, X3 is a niche product, most companies won't even create their own engines. X3 will never have sales of GTA or Call of Duty, because its not that sort of game.

Also, making X3 64 bit will not make it take advantage of 16 gig DDR 3, whether 64 bit or not, the game is not programmed to use 16 gig. At the moment, I believe the maximum memory usage of any game, is 3 gig (unless u have vista which would give the impression its using much more memory than it actually is).

And the gaming industry is hardly stuck in the 1980's, that is a slight exageration. Also before anyone starts to suggest we need an alernative programming language, did it ever occur to anyone that technology has become too complicated to start from scratch. Excluding the point that C ++ is actually a very efficient language anyway...

I can't remember what i've just written.....

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”