Large, medium, or small whats the best type, value for money

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

theoverlord3
x3

Post by theoverlord3 » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 15:50

i know that small, comes with nothing
medium has a few things.
but does buying large give you all the upgrades at a cheaper costs than buying all the upgrades from small.

so far i goot 430k, which im gonna get a SPP, but what type of cargo ship.

what would reconmendations.

scarfo
x2

Post by scarfo » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 15:56

with only 430k your limited to what upgrades you can get. re. cargo space if your in a safe sector get a boron dolphin as it can hold 1500 as standard and for buying crystals get something fast not a ts

stu25

Post by stu25 » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 16:05

small is the cheapest if you can get all the Eqpmt locally. Eg buy a small TS and you can upgrade before you leave the station.

It works the same way as selling ships and eqpmt, if u strip the ship at the ED you always get more than selling the lot to the shipyard intact. If you buy ready fitted from the shipyard then you pay more than buying it yourself. The ship always has 100% hull, the same cargo and speed, its just the shields and weapons youre buying. If youre in the right place you can get these directly from the factory for far less than the ED.

On a TS you dont want any Fight command software or weapons, they try and fight and get blown up. Without this they just run and often survive.

I prefer Paranid Demeters or Split Caimans because of cargo/speed combinations. Get 2 of either, set one to sell for best price and buy BPH from Boron ED for the other, set it off and forget about it. When it reaches level 6 buy BPH for the other and set that one off too. I can have 3 Demeters selling for one SPP as long as you time them to arrive and begin selling about 3 mins apart otherwise they all follow each other and profitsss is down.

Or you can use an M4 to buy and a TS to sell if you dont wanna use BPH, this way the cystal buyer can keep up with demand.

BTW its much easier to cap these ships and either sell em or outfit em, most of my cargo ships are pirate ships which do well for short regular trips without affecting the selling price too much (coz they only hold 1000)

I could go on, and frequenty do but I hope this helps, it covers it in a nutshell. I only buy large when buying fighters for Mother ships, when ur starting out you need to exploit the X2 universe and the trading system.
RIGHT ON COMMANDER!

theoverlord3
x3

Post by theoverlord3 » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 16:14

so, i should buy a large TP, and then sell all the stuff on it, then sell the ship. and i would get more money back.

is this what i should do 2 get some more money.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 16:20

Nope - this will not work. You will make a substantial loss.

The primary purpose of buying an L ship is to have it virtually equipped to the max at the point of sale, rather than having to scrabble around the universe to equip it.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 16:23

Check your figures stu25, I'm pretty certain they're wrong. Each ship has a basic price, onto which the cost of the installed equipment is added when you buy. When you're selling, you get 60% of this price, so it is better to strip ships down before selling. Cost wise, there is no difference in Buying S and upgrading yourself or buying an L, it all comes down to availability.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

stu25

Post by stu25 » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 16:24

No, the other way round if you bought L then sold everything you get less for selling than what you paid.

Conversely if you buy Small and upgrade, Im sure you pay less in total than buying Large to begin with. If not then you can certainly buy cheaper direct from the relevant factory, but I will now have to check my figures. Best excuse to start the game Ive had for a while.
Last edited by stu25 on Thu, 30. Dec 04, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
RIGHT ON COMMANDER!

theoverlord3
x3

Post by theoverlord3 » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 16:28

but on the second mission, when you have to transport, mi tom. if you sell the sheilds you get 360k, for them. i think the large tp only cost 200k. so would`nt i make 160 profit. or do the large types not get the 360k sheilds?

if that dont work, whats the best transpor t i can get and where?

thanks for you help so far.

stu25

Post by stu25 » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 16:33

Aaargh its all going off now isnt it.

right best TP/TS, I prefer TS always just coz of cargo space, but a lot of people prefer TP because of speed. Best TS
Dolphin - good size slow as
Vulture - Good mix, bit slow
Mercury - Good size, way too slow to escape attacks
Demeter - Average size Good speed and shields
Caiman - Fast but average cargo

TPs Ill let someone else do

Mi ton etc, YES you can make profit off these shields at an ED but she repays you with an even more battered mercury, but apparently you win overall once youve rebuilt it. I didnt do this myself.#
RIGHT ON COMMANDER!

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 16:38

theoverlord3 wrote:but on the second mission, when you have to transport, mi tom. if you sell the sheilds you get 360k, for them. i think the large tp only cost 200k. so would`nt i make 160 profit. or do the large types not get the 360k sheilds?

if that dont work, whats the best transpor t i can get and where?

thanks for you help so far.
You are incorrect. An L Paranid TP for example costs over 830,000 credits, not 200,000.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 16:43

If the upgrades are available at a local EQ then buying the small varsion of a ship usually works out the cheapest because you are not buying stuff you wont use. Thus you save money.

Most freighters work best with 1 25mw shield. Its enough to make them safe if the freighter is a fast ship.

So if your freighter can fit 3 then your paying for 3 if you go for a large varsion.

Giskard
Last edited by giskard on Sat, 1. Jan 05, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

Hachiman
x3tc

Post by Hachiman » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 16:43

Spoiler
Show
If you put your SPP in the right spot you won't need a selling ship only a Crystal buyer,Goner ships are good for this and come very,very cheap :wink:
Kachi wa saya no naka ni ari
[Victory comes while the sword is[still]in the scabbard]

theoverlord3
x3

Post by theoverlord3 » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 17:04

i have had a look around and the boron dolphin, looks good, with 1500, space at the start. but the speed is only 100 or so.

the runner up, is the xpress. good speed and good space at 750, but thats its max.

i think `ill just get 1 boron dolphin. as it seems a good ship.

what do you think

scarfo
x2

Post by scarfo » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 17:16

its a good choice and i think most ppl use one as a selling ship for spp, unfortunatley this isnt going to leave you much money after you buy your spp so you may have to manually buy crystals untill you get enough for a buying ship

theoverlord3
x3

Post by theoverlord3 » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 17:27

btw should repaire the mercy u get after the transport mission, or just sell it. it only has 4% hull, i think. and it takes forever to get it some where were it can be repaired.

or should i sell. it.

i think i will get a SPP in red light, then get an express. for now. then after a while. to get some more cash. i`ll get the dolphin and put an SPP in kingdoms, end.

scarfo
x2

Post by scarfo » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 17:32

personally i would sell it as it will cost a fortune to repair it, but you will probably only get a few thousand for it, personally i would set up my first spp in PE as it has cap ship defence and losing a ship at this stage of your game will be very costly

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 17:48

By PE you mean 'Reduced to Slag by the Khaak President's End' ???
The same sector that is wiped off the map and reduced to a hostile waste of station hulks with enemy vessels prowling about?

THAT PE?

Personally... I find L size vehicles are good for buying in bulk if you need all the items that come with them and the EQ Docks are low on surplus.

I suggest you run the plot, and use the loophole and sell the shield gens and outfit your merc... make some power and ore trading runs between herron's nebula and argon prime, as well as some Meatsteak Cahoona and cattle runs when the power and ore runs are a little dry. Especially when you can find the lucrative emergency trade runs for stations low on the resources. That will build you up a small cash deposit. Once you've got that, it's time for a power plant in kingdom end... Outfit one express and two dolphs for the task, set jump range to two, and buy ware for best on the express, and sell ware for best on the dolphs. A bit of a cash burner to get started... just keep trading if you feel the need. Once the power plant is up and running... head to argon prime, save game in an equipment dock, and SETA at Ten X overnight... Reletively non-risky profit venture. When you get up, save again (Assuming everything's in one peice.) and you should have something around three million credits if the plant was successful in getting up to speed. Two plants actually work quite well.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 17:49

Mercury? Sell it. All will be revealed in a couple of weeks. ;)

As for value, here is an example:
Boron Octopus
List Price (from station details menu) 51094
S Price (Ship + 1Mw shield) 56146
M Price (Ship + 2x1Mw shields + 3xAIRE) 65242
L Price (Ship + 2x1Mw shields + 3xBIRE) 69286

Equipmend dock upgrade prices;
1Mw shield 5052
AIRE 1348
BIRE 2696

So;

Ship + 1Mw Shield = 51094 + 5052 = 56146
Ship + 2x1Mw shields + 3xAIRE = 51094 + 2x5052 + 3x1348 = 65242
Ship + 2x1Mw shields + 3xBIRE = 51094 + 2x5052 + 3x2696 = 69286
All the same as buing direct from the shipyard.

You can buy these goods cheaper from the factories, but only if you can find them. It's easy for a few of the bigger guns and shields, but not if you need large quantities.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

scarfo
x2

Post by scarfo » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 18:14

pe!!! oops meant ke

jester688

Post by jester688 » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 18:22

I buy "M" usually..... just saves a few bucks...on Trasports...

For attack type of craft.... I buy "L"....that way i can send them where i want and not have to worry about equiping them....much...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”