[#2225]Strange problem with resource identification. - fixed after beta 4

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Gladius224

[#2225]Strange problem with resource identification. - fixed after beta 4

Post by Gladius224 » Sat, 4. May 24, 21:52

Hi all. I'm playing on the current beta version. Custom start, russian language. The problem is this:

There are both minerals and gases in the Cardinals Domain system. And the system map was marked with the appropriate color. I built a methane production station there and everything was great. But at some point I noticed that the system map changed its color to red, as if there were only minerals there. I didn’t pay attention to this, especially since otherwise there was information everywhere that there were gases in the system too. So I continued playing until I discovered that my miners had stopped producing methane. They try, fly from one place to another, but do not get anything. I tried to force them to extract methane by every available means, but the miners behave as if there is no methane in the sector at all. What should I do? Why did the game suddenly start thinking that there is no methane in this system, although it is noted in the system properties that there is? Resource Probes also show that there is a lot of methane.

I looked for mention of something like this in patch notes or other forum threads, but couldn't find anything. And to immediately remove possible questions: in the 18 billion system, I also have a methane production station and everything there is working perfectly so far. The settings of these two stations were identical. The second station worked perfectly until the system changed color. I changed managers, I juggled miners, set minimum prices, additional rules, tried to solve problems through auto trading, and so on. I tried all the obvious solutions and none of them helped.

I apologize in advance for my English, it is my third language. I am hope for your help.

Here is my save file: https://filetransfer.io/data-package/HvDa0oXu#link

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Strange problem with resource identification. (v. 7.00 beta 530710 - no mods)

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 5. May 24, 01:04

Resources are allocated by an algorithm in the starting map with default available resource density values relating to specific cubes of 3D volume in the sector. Resource probes give values of both the current and default (max) resource densities calculated across the cube they are in and the directly adjoining cubes. Mining (by player and NPCs) does reduce or deplete the value of the resource density in cubes and regeneration can be very slow.

The colours shown on the map probably refer mostly to the ecliptic plane and so if your probes and mining are in cubes well above or below that plane then you may see much different values for relevant resources whatever the map colour, or even no resources at all. Whether the map colour should change if types of resources on that plane are depleted, I am not sure.

My advice would be to drop resource probes using all dimensions until you find the resource with a current density you would want to mine and then send your miners to mine at that 3D location. Another often useful hint is to look where the NPC miners of the relevant resource are going to mine and then send your miners there too. The other thing is that if you directly order a miner to mine a resource at a location, you will get immediate feedback if there is any of that resource suitable for mining there.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gladius224

Re: Strange problem with resource identification. (v. 7.00 beta 530710 - no mods)

Post by Gladius224 » Sun, 5. May 24, 02:03

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 5. May 24, 01:04
My advice would be to drop resource probes using all dimensions until you find the resource with a current density you would want to mine and then send your miners to mine at that 3D location. Another often useful hint is to look where the NPC miners of the relevant resource are going to mine and then send your miners there too. The other thing is that if you directly order a miner to mine a resource at a location, you will get immediate feedback if there is any of that resource suitable for mining there.
Hello. I did as you suggested, but unfortunately it didn't help. Moreover, I looked more closely at the behavior of the NPCs and discovered that they were in the same position as me. NPC miners, just like mine, wander aimlessly around the system in an attempt to get at least something. I placed probes next to them, I placed probes "at the top" and "at the bottom" of the map, I placed dozens of probes randomly, I turned off probes, left only one. All this got me nowhere.

I understand that resources can be depleted, but this session is not that long, I just couldn't manage to deplete the entire map. Direct orders don't help either. The miner tries to carry out a direct order, he fails, the order is removed from the task queue and the miner shouts to me that he is “awaiting orders.”

I admit that I may be missing some little thing, but the further I go, the more it seems to me that this is a bug, and not my carelessness.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 5. May 24, 14:08

So are these probes you are dropping showing useful resource densities for the one you want?

OK and just a probably silly suggestion to make sure that your L miners still have mining/scoop drones of the necessary type. They can be lost or wander off during gameplay, especially when you are IS with them.

A further hint that skilled servicecrew on miners improves their mining efficiency, as does having captains with good piloting skills and morale.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gladius224

Post by Gladius224 » Sun, 5. May 24, 15:02

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 5. May 24, 14:08
So are these probes you are dropping showing useful resource densities for the one you want?

OK and just a probably silly suggestion to make sure that your L miners still have mining/scoop drones of the necessary type. They can be lost or wander off during gameplay, especially when you are IS with them.

A further hint that skilled servicecrew on miners improves their mining efficiency, as does having captains with good piloting skills and morale.
Yes, probes show that there are a lot of resources.

And yes, miners have drones. And besides the L-miners there are M-miners, they suffer from the same problem.

There are definitely no problems with the miners, because these same miners successfully extracted methane in another system. For the purity of the experiment, I returned them back to another system and everything is fine there.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [#2225]Strange problem with resource identification. (v. 7.00 beta 530710 - no mods)

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 7. May 24, 12:33

You are not seeing ghosts, there was an issue with the gas region. This should be fixed in future update.

MFG

Ketraar

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”