Best S & M ships

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Osbot
x4

Re: Best S & M ships

Post by Osbot » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 20:43

Baconnaise wrote:
Sat, 8. Dec 18, 00:52
SirDeity12 wrote:
Sat, 8. Dec 18, 00:38
Anyone know which ship(s) in each class have the biggest shields? I'd rather have shields than speed any day.
Best shields are Teladi. Engines are Paranid. Argon might be thrusters or bobbleheads dunno.
I think you might be mistaken. My experience is, Argon have the best engines. Go to trinity sanctum, and then compare travel engines on any S ship. The Argon travel engines will put out the highest speed. Basically, Argon are faster in travel, and Paranid are faster in standard mode. Which you value is up to you. Personally I find travel is more important for NPCs. The loss of 20 or so m/s in standard is made up for by the gain of 300+ m/s in travel mode.

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 04:23

Osbot wrote:
Sat, 8. Dec 18, 20:43
Baconnaise wrote:
SirDeity12 wrote:
Sat, 8. Dec 18, 00:38
Anyone know which ship(s) in each class have the biggest shields? I'd rather have shields than speed any day.
Best shields are Teladi. Engines are Paranid. Argon might be thrusters or bobbleheads dunno.
I think you might be mistaken. My experience is, Argon have the best engines. Go to trinity sanctum, and then compare travel engines on any S ship. The Argon travel engines will put out the highest speed. Basically, Argon are faster in travel, and Paranid are faster in standard mode. Which you value is up to you. Personally I find travel is more important for NPCs. The loss of 20 or so m/s in standard is made up for by the gain of 300+ m/s in travel mode.
It's primarily about player combat/dogfighting. NPC trade/mine fleets you go with different weapons and even engines. Player travel speed isn't that important since you have teleport or can be driven around while you sit on the porcelain throne.

Osbot
x4

Post by Osbot » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 07:46

Baconnaise wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 04:23
Osbot wrote:
Sat, 8. Dec 18, 20:43
Baconnaise wrote:

It's primarily about player combat/dogfighting. NPC trade/mine fleets you go with different weapons and even engines. Player travel speed isn't that important since you have teleport or can be driven around while you sit on the porcelain throne.
Marginal gain in regular speed, vs a significant increase in travel speed. Teleport is broken, I personally don't use it beyond level 1 which is just a few kilometers in range. I can see how you might value 20 m/s more when you just teleport across the galaxy to travel everywhere.

letwolf

Post by letwolf » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 15:25

Paranid, teladi, argon...
WHERE ARE BORON AND SPLIT?
No their ships and sectors!!!
I miss my borons...

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 15:42

Argo fighters seems to field more weapons:
- Eclipse 4 weapons and better shields
- Quasar 4 weapons (dunno what is the point of this ship as Pulsar and Eclipse are superior to it)
- Pulsar 6 weapons

Boths Paranid and Teladi fighters seems to field 3 weapons max.

Paddyy
x3ap

Post by Paddyy » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:24

AdmiralTigerclaw wrote:
Sat, 8. Dec 18, 14:31
Traditionally:

Paranid were speed demons.
Split was Firepower and speed at the cost of defensive capability.
Teladi were defenses and storage at the expense of speed.
Boron had average ability, but I forget what the negative trait was. Maybe cheaper with slightly below average all-rounded stats.
Argon were all-rounders.

And Terrans just didn't share because they were Better Than You. (And they were, too. Considering how HARD they gave the Khaak the Shaft.)
Borons had and maybe will still have a regenerative hull (green) on their ship.
Once all races will be implemented with their ships, there will probably one with ships that are just more expensive as a tradeoff, and others will be cheaper compared to the rest.

Baldamundo
x4

Post by Baldamundo » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 19:17

Paddyy wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:24
AdmiralTigerclaw wrote:
Sat, 8. Dec 18, 14:31
Traditionally:

Paranid were speed demons.
Split was Firepower and speed at the cost of defensive capability.
Teladi were defenses and storage at the expense of speed.
Boron had average ability, but I forget what the negative trait was. Maybe cheaper with slightly below average all-rounded stats.
Argon were all-rounders.

And Terrans just didn't share because they were Better Than You. (And they were, too. Considering how HARD they gave the Khaak the Shaft.)
Borons had and maybe will still have a regenerative hull (green) on their ship.
Once all races will be implemented with their ships, there will probably one with ships that are just more expensive as a tradeoff, and others will be cheaper compared to the rest.
I think Boron also generally had better shields, ion weapons, and decent speed, at the cost of normally having way fewer weapon slots than other races.

letwolf

Post by letwolf » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 20:59

Boron had sheetty laser generators and too huge sizes.

TheShear
x4

Post by TheShear » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 01:20

Well the Boron where pacifists so them having ****** shooties is expected but yeah the ships where often big.

bubbabenali
x4

Post by bubbabenali » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 17:59

TheShear wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 01:20
Well the Boron where pacifists so them having ****** shooties is expected but yeah the ships where often big.
The Megalodon not only was big, it was a moon. But it came with that firepower too.

kspn
x4

Post by kspn » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 11:00

Does anyone know if there is a Size/Class/Ship breakdown around yet that shows the variants etc?

For example the differences between the Nemesis Vanguard/Sentinel both are very similar both the V being baster and lighter but the S being a bit tougher.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 11:50

foxxbl wrote:
Mon, 3. Dec 18, 01:29

Correct, Nodan has not 900+ speed in my game also.
For now, Paranid Pegasus Vanguard is still the fastest S ship with 532m/s.
Just to note: I got my Peg up to 588 with a crafted modification. Travel speed stops at 9999.

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 03:13

Just a small observation here... But the wording of this topic's title is VERY unfortunate.

Tadas
x4

Post by Tadas » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 04:51

Kinky minds think alike :)

Belarin42

Post by Belarin42 » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 21:24

I was playing around with the purchasable modification parts mod just to see what was possible and with a sweet exceptional engine mod (28.3 forward thrust and 28.6 travel thrust) and a pretty decent mass reduction my Pegasus now does 849m/s and over 14k travel speed... it's so quick that when mapping out sectors if I'm not fast exiting the map and picking a new direction I end up outside of the map boundaries, I just hope the inertial damping / seatbelts hold out cause it drops from 14k+ to a full stop in a couple of seconds, that would leave a terrible stain on the inside of the window.

Tadas
x4

Post by Tadas » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 05:50

When you zoom around at those speeds do you go back in time?

bubbabenali
x4

Post by bubbabenali » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 13:23

After some playing around: The best player ship in game is the Nemesis hands down.
Even with minimum modifications it reaches ~600 m/s dishes out heavy amounts of damage, is kinda tanky (for a super heavy fighter) and only wastes two slots for (still broken) turrets.

I took down an Xenon I in less than 5 minutes... Not that it says much as Cap ships are noting more than giant targets - even more so than the cap ships in Rebirth.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”