Ways to unlock the Queen Herald without doing the story content

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrwuggles

Ways to unlock the Queen Herald without doing the story content

Post by mrwuggles » Thu, 13. Apr 23, 21:26

Can someone tell me if I can unlock the boron start without having to play the other storyline, I checked the config and it appears only boso is there and not the new saves, ego really loves to waste my time don't they.

Like many of you here I wanted to start as a boron, either custom or queen herald but have been denied by the devs for whatever reason. I played a little bit of the other storyline and I'm tired, stuff inst working right, that boron explorer spawned me a bomb and then I accidentally bumped her back into it and now I have to go crystal hunting to get it and I just ****** can't. Its 2023 and still gaming companies can't learn that restricting content in this manner is entirely asinine and serves only to anger their customers, I have limited time to game and when I have that opportunity I would like to be able to enjoy the product I bought in the manner I desire without having to be forced into content I'm just not interested in right now.

Its a sandbox game that I will be playing for 100s of hours you do not need to arbitrarily extend the length of the game by locking starts custom or otherwise behind content walls.

While I'm here I also have a few more gripes, as it seems in many ways this game has alot of corners cut when it comes to some of the systems, I know its a small team but its really obvious User experience stuff. Like for example, why can I give my underlings a series of orders, but cannot que up a set of way-points for myself to use, such a system would come in handy in your latest mission, you know the one, and why does it not work that way? its a logical use case for such a system, and tends to be the standard for such things in gaming, and yet its not in game. its this and many other little things, like not being able to properly que up upgrade orders for ships, or even do this for fleets, you have to manage these ships why are we not given obvious tools, tools that mach the paradigms we are used to, to use for such purposes.

God dammit I love the game but, just the way ego does some things drives me insane, I wish they would spend more time looking at processes and getting feedback, and for god sakes stop walling off content, its a sandbox let me make some fuggin fish castles.

EDIT - I have hacked the game as recommended below, and have discovered that during the into quest you are shepherded into the game as if you are playing for the first time, its an advanced start and they are teaching me, about how to use the quest system. This means in my mind that this scenario was designed with the intent of letting players start with it, and it has been locked behind the other campaign. I don't get it, this really is some silly shit.
Last edited by mrwuggles on Thu, 13. Apr 23, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

Bastelfred
x4

Re: Ways to unlock the Queen Herald without doing the story content

Post by Bastelfred » Thu, 13. Apr 23, 21:46

Do you know where your savegames are? Nearby is the userdata.xml

<unlock_x4gamestart_boron2>1</unlock_x4gamestart_boron2>

But do the story, Egosoft has really done a good job. You don't have to do much, as soon as you stand in front of the queen you are done and can start as a Boron. And the game start continues exactly at the same point. It starts in front of the queen, and your possession is the same as if you had just done the little first story part with the first start. You don't play the whole plot, it's just until the gate is active and you can get through.

Hawkseyez
x4

Post by Hawkseyez » Thu, 13. Apr 23, 22:02

came here to find out same thing. i have a pirate save where im enemies with everyone. doesn't seem that you can get Borons if Word doods are enemies with you. thought maybe they would do the whole story on it's own so get Borons in universe eventually? agree the story is good but not everyone want's peace. i actually wanted to see what Bozo Ta would do when i attacked his race and killed his people. lol. maybe he'd leave me? is some options here seems maybe missing. considering how is an underworld tone to some parts of the game, im surprised some alternative options for fighting Boron weren't seeming introduced. maybe future option? cheers.

mrwuggles

Post by mrwuggles » Thu, 13. Apr 23, 22:40

Bastelfred wrote:
Thu, 13. Apr 23, 21:46
Do you know where your savegames are? Nearby is the userdata.xml

<unlock_x4gamestart_boron2>1</unlock_x4gamestart_boron2>

But do the story, Egosoft has really done a good job. You don't have to do much, as soon as you stand in front of the queen you are done and can start as a Boron. And the game start continues exactly at the same point. It starts in front of the queen, and your possession is the same as if you had just done the little first story part with the first start. You don't play the whole plot, it's just until the gate is active and you can get through.
No, I am that frustrated. Take note ego, this is the end result of your decisions, a mistake you make repeatedly and have done so since as long as I can remember and I'm an old git.

I shouldn't have to hack the game to get what at what I want, and they should know this, and if they ever come to a point in the design sessions wherein it becomes apparent that they will have to force something on the player, or you have a choice of limiting their options, STOP, its bad design and results in frustrated customers, like me.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 14. Apr 23, 02:49

mrwuggles wrote:
Thu, 13. Apr 23, 22:40
I shouldn't have to hack the game to get what at what I want
Just being my pedantic self I need to point out that the game is made for many people, which makes "what I want" mean nothing and everything at the same time. Still You can play as a Boron from the get go without having to "hack" anything, there is a start called Custom Game Start where you can design the start the way YOU want (within limits for budgeted and less limits, but still some in creative), including starting as Boron, in fact you can even chose your gender.

MFG

Ketraar

mrwuggles

Post by mrwuggles » Fri, 14. Apr 23, 03:10

Ketraar wrote:
Fri, 14. Apr 23, 02:49
mrwuggles wrote:
Thu, 13. Apr 23, 22:40
I shouldn't have to hack the game to get what at what I want
Just being my pedantic self I need to point out that the game is made for many people, which makes "what I want" mean nothing and everything at the same time. Still You can play as a Boron from the get go without having to "hack" anything, there is a start called Custom Game Start where you can design the start the way YOU want (within limits for budgeted and less limits, but still some in creative), including starting as Boron, in fact you can even chose your gender.

MFG

Ketraar
I attempted to circumvent this issue using the means you describe, I was denied the start because it apparently will not allow it to trigger without me unlocking story content, when i choose to open the hidden storylines option to circumvent this it would not allow me to start even when I had selected both PHQ and the start mission. What worked, was removing those after I had unlocked them in the menu and then I could start as a boron, however, I encountered that the game bugged out and certin quest would not trigger. So I had to start using the other campign untill I circumvented above.

Look I know you work hard, I know this business is difficult and my bitching isn't productive, but I very much wanted to enjoy your product as a distraction from a bad life situation and all I encountered was frustration, please listen to what I have said, there is merit there despite my poor candor. I want this to work this game is a wonder and there is nothing like it, but it needs polish, and what I am asking for is not beyond the ken.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 14. Apr 23, 11:53

There is a misunderstanding. The CGS allows you to choose Boron as a character at any time, access to the Boron space is as you describe.

MFG

Ketraar

mrwuggles

Post by mrwuggles » Fri, 14. Apr 23, 13:41

Ketraar wrote:
Fri, 14. Apr 23, 11:53
There is a misunderstanding. The CGS allows you to choose Boron as a character at any time, access to the Boron space is as you describe.

MFG

Ketraar
Well as I mentioned the start button for the CGS was greyed out, and it indicated that to start in Kingdom End I would need to choose PHQ and The AOW storylines as completed and then it would allow me to start. However it did not, the start button remained grey even though I had added the necessary storyline triggers. So I began messing around with the interface and found that resetting the story values to default after they had been selected, allowed the start button to activate. So I started my boron game, and everything seemed to work, untill i noticed that there were very few ships moving around in space, so I flew over to hatikvas choice to see if the storyline there would trigger and it would not, and the emmergence storyline failed to trigger as I passed by the starting system for that storyline. So from what I can surmise, I somehow broke the mission triggers, and probably unit spawning by circumventing the storyline locks. I would have someone take a look see at the menu triggers for the CGS to make sure that everything is legit because I'm pretty sure it was not supposed to allow me to do this.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”