Would you start a new game with mods right now?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Tjago
x4

Would you start a new game with mods right now?

Post by Tjago » Thu, 31. Dec 20, 17:11

So I was about to start playing a new game that I wanted to get pretty seriously into, and a few mods (like the faction war/economy enhancer, VRO and the XR Ships mods) that I wanted to play with along the way. Just as I was booting up, I started thinking about the fact that 4.0 is around the corner, and got a bit concerned that 4.0 would completely wreck my save game and I'd lose all my progress if I started with mods right now.

So my question is: what do you think the likelihood of me losing my save is if I started a game with some of the popular mods like those, once 4.0 launches? Would you just wait until 4.0 drops or is now a good time to give it a go?

Thecrippler

Re: Would you start a new game with mods right now?

Post by Thecrippler » Thu, 31. Dec 20, 17:25

I did atm i have

Sector Satellites Mod
Fire and Smoke Mod
Argon cyclops Mod
Vanilla Icons Replacer Mod
XR ship pack Mod

but atm am living Variety and Rebalance Overhaul and Faction War/Economy Enhancer alone causes to much FPS drops and massive performance lost

probably for my next play true gonna go with Star wars mod it has tons of new ship to play compared to the vanilla or other ships mods

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Thu, 31. Dec 20, 23:59

I'm playing 4.0 beta with approximately 60 mods running, and everything is fine with a few minor exceptions. I don't play with VRO or FE due to the severe framerate shortages they create, so I can't speak to how well they work.
Let's Play Poorly! - Suboptimal X4 Playthroughs

Tjago
x4

Post by Tjago » Fri, 1. Jan 21, 01:58

Awesome, I appreciate the responses, all! I intended to get pretty deep into the save and my biggest worry was that when 4.0 came out that the upgrade might break my save, but it sounds like it that's not as likely as I originally thought. I'm gonna give it a try, then =D

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 1. Jan 21, 16:54

I'm currently running a modified v4.0 Beta game. One of the things I've noticed is that performance with my usual set of mods - which includes both VRO and FWEE, among others - is MUCH better than the same build in v3.3 was. Sure, a heavy battle will of course cause an FPS hit, but things really are so much better than they were.

I have a fairly decent system - 3900X, 32GB DDR4 3600, GTX 1070 (the weak point) with fast RAID0 M.2 NVMe drives - but the overall performance bump of 4.0 is significant. When just flying around busy sectors - even with minor skirmishes going on - my FPS remains at a solid, vSync'd 60, which is great. It can drop into the 40's at times when there are large fights going on in the current sector and I'm nearby, but that's the only time. Things are very much CPU-limited for me when FPS drops occur, I've adjusted my Graphics settings down a notch or two to ensure the 1070 isn't the limiting factor.

Just a couple of nights ago, I had my three Behemoths with deployed Defence Drones, fighting waves of Xenon ships. Not a huge fight by any means, but one that would have resulted in slow-downs in v3.3.

Note: FWEE has had an update to address some 4.0-specific issues. There was an issue with VRO and 4.0 initially, but that was resolved in a subsequent Beta update - it was not a VRO issue, but a slight regression (IIRC) with that earlier 4.0 beta that caused an issue with VRO's custom shields. All sorted now.

I don't know how far from 4.0 release we are. 4.0 and the new DLC are due to launch at the same time as far as I'm aware, though I don't know if there's much more to add to 4.0 vanilla, so to speak. It feels pretty solid to me currently and I see no reason not to start a new, modified game if you want. I did :)

Scoob.

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Sat, 2. Jan 21, 12:23

Scoob wrote:
Fri, 1. Jan 21, 16:54
I'm currently running a modified v4.0 Beta game. One of the things I've noticed is that performance with my usual set of mods - which includes both VRO and FWEE, among others - is MUCH better than the same build in v3.3 was. Sure, a heavy battle will of course cause an FPS hit, but things really are so much better than they were.

I have a fairly decent system - 3900X, 32GB DDR4 3600, GTX 1070 (the weak point) with fast RAID0 M.2 NVMe drives - but the overall performance bump of 4.0 is significant. When just flying around busy sectors - even with minor skirmishes going on - my FPS remains at a solid, vSync'd 60, which is great. It can drop into the 40's at times when there are large fights going on in the current sector and I'm nearby, but that's the only time. Things are very much CPU-limited for me when FPS drops occur, I've adjusted my Graphics settings down a notch or two to ensure the 1070 isn't the limiting factor.

Just a couple of nights ago, I had my three Behemoths with deployed Defence Drones, fighting waves of Xenon ships. Not a huge fight by any means, but one that would have resulted in slow-downs in v3.3.

Note: FWEE has had an update to address some 4.0-specific issues. There was an issue with VRO and 4.0 initially, but that was resolved in a subsequent Beta update - it was not a VRO issue, but a slight regression (IIRC) with that earlier 4.0 beta that caused an issue with VRO's custom shields. All sorted now.

I don't know how far from 4.0 release we are. 4.0 and the new DLC are due to launch at the same time as far as I'm aware, though I don't know if there's much more to add to 4.0 vanilla, so to speak. It feels pretty solid to me currently and I see no reason not to start a new, modified game if you want. I did :)

Scoob.
did my first invasion in
image hosting
o boy o boy i hit 8 fps lol sorry the game needs a massive optimisation IP engine needs work BIG TIME and please don't tell me the game is good optimize it is not
Image 8 fps

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sat, 2. Jan 21, 17:43

Urgh, that's BAD!

The game does still appear to he HEAVILY limited by one thread, which is unusual over the numerous games I play. Most tend to show more even CPU load profiles over multiple Cores, X4 does not.

That said, things have still improved a LOT for me with 4.0. Specifically, I get few FPS issues in general, and that annoying judder / stutter that would occur is gone. However, large battles still see me drop into the 40's FPS-wise, which isn't great. Usually though, for larger battle, I'm just watching NPC's scrap it out, or managing a fleet, rather than flying a ship myself. 40 FPS is way to low for Fighter combat with me flying, but fine when such things are observed.

Out of interest, what are your system specs? It's good to see how X4 is performing on different hardware than mine. I do plan to get a 5900X at some point - the last upgrade for my X570 board no doubt - along with a better GPU. Lack of availability and me not being in a hurry means I have no idea when this might happen though.

Scoob.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Sat, 2. Jan 21, 19:00

Tjago wrote:
Thu, 31. Dec 20, 17:11
So I was about to start playing a new game that I wanted to get pretty seriously into, and a few mods (like the faction war/economy enhancer, VRO and the XR Ships mods) that I wanted to play with along the way. Just as I was booting up, I started thinking about the fact that 4.0 is around the corner, and got a bit concerned that 4.0 would completely wreck my save game and I'd lose all my progress if I started with mods right now.

So my question is: what do you think the likelihood of me losing my save is if I started a game with some of the popular mods like those, once 4.0 launches? Would you just wait until 4.0 drops or is now a good time to give it a go?
X4 is still in development and the next DLC is coming soon. If you want to have problems with the stories and behavior of the AI, you are welcome to use mods.

I will continue to play without it until development is reasonably complete.
GL

Tjago
x4

Post by Tjago » Sat, 2. Jan 21, 22:20

Scoob wrote:
Sat, 2. Jan 21, 17:43
The game does still appear to he HEAVILY limited by one thread, which is unusual over the numerous games I play. Most tend to show more even CPU load profiles over multiple Cores, X4 does not.
Wait... X4 is locked to a single core like X3 was? I thought the new engine supported multicore? Man, that would stink if that's the case; it was one of the things I was looking forward to the most about X4 that I struggled with on X3- having huge battles that didn't slow to a crawl.
EGO_Aut wrote:
Sat, 2. Jan 21, 19:00
Tjago wrote:
Thu, 31. Dec 20, 17:11

X4 is still in development and the next DLC is coming soon. If you want to have problems with the stories and behavior of the AI, you are welcome to use mods.

I will continue to play without it until development is reasonably complete.
GL
This is what I was concerned with. You're probably right- an unmodified game is likely the best way to go right now.

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Sun, 3. Jan 21, 04:38

Tjago wrote:
Sat, 2. Jan 21, 22:20
Scoob wrote:
Sat, 2. Jan 21, 17:43
Wait... X4 is locked to a single core like X3 was? I thought the new engine supported multicore? Man, that would stink if that's the case; it was one of the things I was looking forward to the most about X4 that I struggled with on X3- having huge battles that didn't slow to a crawl.
No, but the way the universe is simulated creates problems for multi-threading and timing issues between cores, apparently. (I don't know anything about it other than to repeat what I've been told.) There is a fair amount of multi-threading going on but there are still limits to how much parallelization is possible when every calculation is interdependent.
Let's Play Poorly! - Suboptimal X4 Playthroughs

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sun, 3. Jan 21, 09:04

Probably not news...but in case it's not obvious you can easily have multiple games in progress. Since only one can be "active" at any one time, you can just switch back and forth between them as needed.

When you want to "park" your current game, and switch to another one (different start, modified, whatever):
  • Preserve the state of your current game by copying all the current save games from the regular Egosoft save folder (...\documents\Egosoft\X4\nnnnn\save) to a separate folder.
  • Then you can either start a new game, or revert to a game you had previously "parked", by restoring the save games from that version.
  • For modified games, make sure you also copy and/or restore all the required mods in the ...\X4 Foundations\extensions folder.
A word of caution, pay attention when copying things around...be a bit careless and you "may well destroy the whole system"!

Since I like to test the Beta's, and do a bit of modding, I tend switch games frequently, To make things a bit easier I created a folder "...\documents\Egosoft\X4\Game_Save_Folders" where I store my active save games.

I currently have four separate "clean" 4.0b4 games active (FRF, ZYA, Young Gun and Explorer starts), as well as 4 or 5 modded games that I like to work with from time to time.

...works well for me.

Reaperxvii
x3ap

Post by Reaperxvii » Mon, 4. Jan 21, 01:02

Thecrippler wrote:
Sat, 2. Jan 21, 12:23
Scoob wrote:

Scoob.
did my first invasion in
image hosting
o boy o boy i hit 8 fps lol sorry the game needs a massive optimisation IP engine needs work BIG TIME and please don't tell me the game is good optimize it is not
Image 8 fps
What are your specs? Mainly the CPU and ram?

I run a 5900x with 3200mhz cl14 ram and rarely drop below 40 fps, and thats in Antigone memorial where the republic has built, well this https://imgur.com/a/WCGS4MS.

with that said the game does suffer from the same issue most other games do and thats the "world thread" for calculating most of the stuff going on is tied to one thread. So in reality a 10600k or 5600k will run the game just as well as a 10900k or 5950x. The gpu doesnt seem to ever be the bottle neck issue, as mine sits around 50-60% usage on my 1080ti at 1440p High Settings.
"We are the middle children of History. Born too late to explore the earth, born to early to explore the stars."

"Time is the fire in which we burn"

Reaper's Mod Index

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 4. Jan 21, 04:27

kmunoz wrote:
Thu, 31. Dec 20, 23:59
I'm playing 4.0 beta with approximately 60 mods running, and everything is fine with a few minor exceptions. I don't play with VRO or FE due to the severe framerate shortages they create, so I can't speak to how well they work.
I don't think VRO is the culprit, but rather the FE mods. I use VRO just fine without running into framerate issues. VRO is mostly just ship stat changes, so I do not see a rationale for why it would heavily drop fps.

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Mon, 4. Jan 21, 15:42

Reaperxvii wrote:
Mon, 4. Jan 21, 01:02
Thecrippler wrote:
Sat, 2. Jan 21, 12:23
Scoob wrote:

Scoob.
did my first invasion in
image hosting
Image 8 fps
What are your specs? Mainly the CPU and ram?

I run a 5900x with 3200mhz cl14 ram and rarely drop below 40 fps, and thats in Antigone memorial where the republic has built, well this https://imgur.com/a/WCGS4MS.

with that said the game does suffer from the same issue most other games do and thats the "world thread" for calculating most of the stuff going on is tied to one thread. So in reality a 10600k or 5600k will run the game just as well as a 10900k or 5950x. The gpu doesnt seem to ever be the bottle neck issue, as mine sits around 50-60% usage on my 1080ti at 1440p High Settings.
AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
32768MB RAM
graphics card radeon rx 5700 xt
Mods
Sector Satellites Mod
Fire and Smoke Mod
Argon cyclops Mod
Vanilla Icons Replacer Mod
XR ship pack Mod

if this is outdated components let me know gonna go upgrade

Gomboc
x4

Post by Gomboc » Mon, 4. Jan 21, 16:44

Thecrippler wrote:
Mon, 4. Jan 21, 15:42
The CPU is the big bottleneck for you. It's slower than the minimum requirement:
"Intel i5-4590 3.3GHz or AMD equivalent"

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Mon, 4. Jan 21, 18:57

Gomboc wrote:
Mon, 4. Jan 21, 16:44
Thecrippler wrote:
The CPU is the big bottleneck for you. It's slower than the minimum requirement:
OK my friend told me the CPU is not the problem hear ?? it is still best on the market

ShiBDiB
x4

Post by ShiBDiB » Mon, 4. Jan 21, 23:13

Thecrippler wrote:
Mon, 4. Jan 21, 18:57
Gomboc wrote:
Thecrippler wrote:
OK my friend told me the CPU is not the problem hear ?? it is still best on the market
That cpu is 6+ years old. AMD cpu's from that timeframe were vastly outclassed by intel chips.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/A ... 4040vs2983 is a good comparison to a "modern" AMD chip. That CPU is definitely your bottleneck
-----
My Mods
Go Home Drone, Reaction Force, Disable Story, Pay The Builder, Landlord, Training Exercise
Github with the latest (Unstable) Versions
Nexus Page
Steam Workshop Page

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Tue, 5. Jan 21, 00:49

I have multiple copies of the game installed .. for base testing I use a CLEAN install version of X4 to find bugs.

BUT I also run a full version WITH mods and then let modders who make those mods know there is a problem with their mods under the latest builds...

By doing this, hopefully not only Egosoft have a nice release bug free (but still with the ugliest humans ever in a computer game *grin*) but many of the good mods will also be working out of the box!
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Reaperxvii
x3ap

Post by Reaperxvii » Tue, 5. Jan 21, 01:47

Thecrippler wrote:
Gomboc wrote:
Thecrippler wrote:
What someone else said, the AMD FX 8000 series were...well garbage in my opinion. If you have the budget and know how to build a pc look into a 10600k or 5600x (3600 or 3600x will also work as 5600x are out of stock).
"We are the middle children of History. Born too late to explore the earth, born to early to explore the stars."

"Time is the fire in which we burn"

Reaper's Mod Index

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Tue, 5. Jan 21, 02:16

Reaperxvii wrote:
Tue, 5. Jan 21, 01:47
Thecrippler wrote:
Gomboc wrote:

What someone else said, the AMD FX 8000 series were...well garbage in my opinion. If you have the budget and know how to build a pc look into a 10600k or 5600x (3600 or 3600x will also work as 5600x are out of stock).

Can you take the topic someplace else please... This forum/thread is about game questions, not who has the best hardware processor etc.
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”