[Req] Mod Idea for crew salary

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Max Bain
x3ap

[Req] Mod Idea for crew salary

Post by Max Bain » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 10:52

Wouldnt it be a cool idea to give crew members a very small salary, so you have to pay each 2 hours or so 10 credit for a standard crew member and maybe 100 for an officer or captain? Maybe 20 for a marine? (Just some random unbalanced values)

I think just buying the max number of crew when you build the ship is a bit dull and unrealistic.

Is this possible at all? What do you think?
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

bloodystump
x4

Re: [Req] Mod Idea for crew salary

Post by bloodystump » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 11:56

I'd love to see this. I also wouldn't mind seeing them consume at least food and water too hehe.

..and if the scripting is anything like X3 it will be possible because someone added it there previously.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 21:49

I really would love to see this mod :D
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

paris_england
x4

Post by paris_england » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 00:33

Wages would just be applied to player ships/stations (i.e all personnel paid from the player wallet) ? Or would you want all factions to have to pay for their crews?

aerojet029
x4

Post by aerojet029 » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 06:53

paris_england wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 00:33
Wages would just be applied to player ships/stations (i.e all personnel paid from the player wallet) ? Or would you want all factions to have to pay for their crews?
AI has infinite money,

shipbuilding is only limited by resources. however if the player sees that he has to pay for his crew, there would be no need to simulate the AI paying employees as the player wouldn't have access to know whether or not the AI is doing it or not.

I like the idea of a crew wage, money seems inflated and useless. and it would feel like I was building an empire of minions!

should be a flat fee based on their overall star rating
then,
traders could take a flat (small) % of the trade
marines(the ones that survive) could take a bonus for capturing ships

again, nothing too game changing, just something to make the player feel like his employees are "real" people getting a wage.

Dalia
x4

Post by Dalia » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 09:35

Maybe it will be better to add taxes when player gain money, they take a %, 1% for pilot, 0,5% for crew etc..

And it will nice to add the choice of npc to say yes or no for join your ship.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 12:35

Gotta finish an update of another mod first, then i'll get on it. I've got a few pretty good ideas, including staff quitting and leaving ships after some time if they don't get payed. (optional ofc) :D

Dalia
x4

Post by Dalia » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 13:30

Oh nice greetings to you; i will enjoy your mod :D

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 13:43

iforgotmysocks wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 12:35
Gotta finish an update of another mod first, then i'll get on it. I've got a few pretty good ideas, including staff quitting and leaving ships after some time if they don't get payed. (optional ofc) :D
Maybe just give them Morale hit. Lose a star worth of Morale for every pay period that goes by that they don't get paid :P Given Morale is secondary skill for all positions, should cause a small effect without hurting quite as much as them quitting (and possibly even stealing the ship if it's a captain ;) )
[ external image ]
***modified***
"You can get more of what you want with kind words and a gun, than you can with just kind words" - Al Capone

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:43

argon_emperor wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 13:43
iforgotmysocks wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 12:35
Maybe just give them Morale hit. Lose a star worth of Morale for every pay period that goes by that they don't get paid :P Given Morale is secondary skill for all positions, should cause a small effect without hurting quite as much as them quitting (and possibly even stealing the ship if it's a captain ;) )
Nah, the captain would be excluded (we're just assuming the player picks the right ppl for the captain job that are loyal enough to stay through some paycheck shortcomings) as loosing assets would be a little much, but the morale hit is a good idea. On the list.

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:43

I would do this:

1: Cut the 'hiring cost' out completely, but keep note of the hiring cost number as a baseline reference.

2: Divide the baseline cost into 24. So the 9,000-ish baseline cost cut into 24 is ~375.

3: Charge the player 375 credits per 0-star employee they have hired once an hour.
This ensures that the overall money BALANCE is not disrupted.

4: If the employee is paid, add a star of morale to the employee, since they got paid.
This will create a 'tolerance buffer' that builds up like a loyalty.

5: If the employee is NOT paid, lose a star of morale. If the employee has zero morale, they 'fire' themselves off your crew (They quit) and vanish into the aether.
This makes the star rating on morale something to watch.

6: Start with this, THEN make a determination of how to pay them for every star they have in skills. Especially since each employee can have skills in multiple areas. Also determine pay by job. Captains and managers getting more, while service crew and marines get less. But do this part LAST so that the first part can be made to work first.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:15

I think another good addition would be to change the effect, crewmen have on the ship functionality. For example:
  • Ships below 30% crew can only fly at 80% top speed (travel and combat speed)
  • Ships below 50% crew have a higher reload time of all their weapons (20% longer reload time)
  • Repair speed depends on crewmen (I read that this already the case)

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:38

Max Bain wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:15
I think another good addition would be to change the effect, crewmen have on the ship functionality. For example:
  • Ships below 30% crew can only fly at 80% top speed (travel and combat speed)
  • Ships below 50% crew have a higher reload time of all their weapons (20% longer reload time)
  • Repair speed depends on crewmen (I read that this already the case)
Why?

Whether your car is full of mechanics or not doesn't determine how much horsepower it has. Why would that make sense here? If you want detriment due to under-crewing, make it so any actively flying ship without service crew slowly deteriorates over time, stopping at like, 5 percent hull (IE, this ship is so poorly maintained that it's a death-trap!).

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 03:57

Alright, first version is almost done. Gotta do some testing first. :3

Nerophos
x3tc

Post by Nerophos » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 10:41

Nice to hear that, and thx for the work u have put in it.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 14:55

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 05:15

If you can't pay salaries, I suggest that ship crews will respond by docking at a random station and then leaving the ship. You would still have the ship, but need to hire new crew.

Perhaps also decrease initial hiring costs, maybe to match the level of their salary per pay period (maybe every hour).

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 09:43

Falcrack wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 05:15
If you can't pay salaries, I suggest that ship crews will respond by docking at a random station and then leaving the ship. You would still have the ship, but need to hire new crew.

Perhaps also decrease initial hiring costs, maybe to match the level of their salary per pay period (maybe every hour).
Them leaving if they don't get paid is already included, just needs to be enabled in the modfile. :)
Ya, i can decrease initial hiring costs, that kinda makes sense.

dionnsai
x4

Post by dionnsai » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 14:47

From working in retail management, I can say that at least in that sector, target labor cost is approximately 10% of gross sales. You might want to use that as a baseline.

So lets say a Silicon miner brings in 50k per load on average. Currently we spend about 400k on his ship initially, and one would expect if it were a real world scenario, we might have costs like regular maintenance, fuel, taxes, etc to consider that we're not going to have here.

@ 50k/load mined and sold, we pay off the ship in about 8 loads

If say the ship has a 3 star pilot and 9 3-star crew members and we can figure out how to give them a base salary + cut of profits, maybe we can come up with some math that brings their total pay to somewhere approximating 10% of that 50k, that brings our current scenario down to 45k profited per load.

We also need to ensure that crew skill actually effects our business. Does the crew/pilot improve efficiency, getting better quality ore, finding better places to sell?
Does having an full vs skeleton crew have any effect performance?

Should we introduce a wear & tear mechanic to ships, where based on time in operation, skill of crew, etc, minor maintenance would automatically be performed at each dock, resulting in routine maintenance charges that also subtract from our bottom line?

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Thu, 20. Dec 18, 13:01

iforgotmysocks wrote:
Sat, 15. Dec 18, 14:55
And there we go. https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/136
Have fun. :D
Wow thank you so much! I havent tested it but it sounds pretty cool.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”