LF MOD that alters or saves Message window

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

zebai
x4

LF MOD that alters or saves Message window

Post by zebai » Thu, 28. Dec 23, 10:04

I don't read quite as quick as I used to and I'm missing alot of messages on the message window in x4. They fade very fast and even if i check the logbook later on i find that the messages are not there or not the same. For example I loot a bunch of items the message window will go through them quickly but there is no mention in the logbook it the same with other smaller details.

So I would like

A. Stop the message fading let the info scroll off naturally
B. Put a new section in the logbook that records these messages accurately

I can find no feature or mod that does any of these at the moment.

DeadAirRT
x4

Re: LF MOD that alters or saves Message window

Post by DeadAirRT » Fri, 29. Dec 23, 06:59

If I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me.

It wouldn't be possible for a mod to add a new category into logbook since the categories were hard coded last i checked. Someone might be able to put together a janky solution for it with lua.

An alternate method would be to create a new menu for it using sirnukes api that you could go into when you know you've missed a message. I'm currently working on a large project already but i can look into if it is feasible the way I'm thinking.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: LF MOD that alters or saves Message window

Post by euclid » Fri, 29. Dec 23, 17:21

zebai wrote:
Thu, 28. Dec 23, 10:04
A. Stop the message fading let the info scroll off naturally
Both, show_interactive_notification and show__notification, have a timeout (usually 5 seconds) that could be extended. However, increasing it may lead to a pile up of messages and some of them have a high priority that may remove lower priority ones.
B. Put a new section in the logbook that records these messages accurately
As DeadAirRT wrote already, it is tricky (if at all possible) to add a new logbook category which would involve UI modding. But even then it would require some feature that prevents too many messages (there can be hundreds in a rather short time period) as that may impact the game in some ways.

A player log file (i.e. outside the game) is possible that records all notifications with a time stamp. Not the most comfortable solution though ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”