[6.2] Clicking Start Research Button Does Nothing

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

sniper423
x4

[6.2] Clicking Start Research Button Does Nothing

Post by sniper423 » Thu, 8. Feb 24, 14:08

EDITS (2024 Feb 09): Added images of AMD Adrenalin settings and in-game graphics turned to minimum. Copied DxDiag link to OP. Added customized config and inputmap XML files in case there are "undocumented features" or "unintended consequences" (lol, which phrase is usually a matter of perspective in software) related to game or control settings.

Screenshot of Research tab w/menu transparency issue and showing completion of req'd resources: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/765 ... 760017524/
Screenshot of Graphics settings turned to minimum in the game: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/765 ... 768267534/
Snip of AMD Adrenalin settings for X4 (1 of 2): https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/h8u4nhhr ... h3phl&dl=0
Snip of AMD Adrenalin settings for X4 (2 of 2): https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/lv913e1g ... ks60f&dl=0
DxDiag: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zzjozlku ... 7koo7&dl=0
Config.xml: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/81tgyeu0 ... 8i305&dl=0
inputmap_1.xml: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yiqv7ykm ... p1rbf&dl=0

As you can see in the first image, I have added the Advanced Electronics and Energy Cells to my PHQ storage, but clicking Start Research literally does nothing. This is for the first research mission.

Also, the transparency on the research dialogs is TERRIBLE.

Windows 11
Radeon 7900XTX
AMD driver 23.11.1 (25 OCT 2023)

All graphics settings are done in the game, not the AMD software. I explicitly turned off tuning for X4 to let the game handle everything.

My normal settings are having everything turned up to ultra quality, using FXAA on high. I also turned all graphics settings to low presets and tried to make sure everything "fancy" was turned off. The problem occurs in either case.
Last edited by sniper423 on Fri, 9. Feb 24, 16:06, edited 3 times in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [6.2] Clicking Start Research Button Does Nothing

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 8. Feb 24, 15:35

I don't have that issue of overlaid and unreadable research text in my game (6.20 vanilla). Is your game modified? If not then try verifying your game installation.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

sniper423
x4

Post by sniper423 » Thu, 8. Feb 24, 19:09

Full vanilla (no mods) with all DLCs. I ran Steam's validation check and there were no issues.

Since you (and I'm sure plenty of others) don't have the transparency issue, I'll also note that I get a LOT of flickering all across the map/menu UI:
[list]
[*]The button icons for Tab navigation (i.e., the cues for what button # to press, not the tabs themselves) flash on every mouse move event
[*]Tooltips pop up for only a fraction of a second before being cleared...whether or not I'm moving the mouse at the time
[*]The mouse pointer can reliably click buttons in the interface only around 70% of the time (subjective) examples include: I often have to click a couple of times to select a ship; selecting a deployable in the right-side information pane will show the selection indicator for a fraction of a second before disappearing as if no item is selected, yet I can still click the deploy button on the last selected item; the plan build interface only lets me use the RMB to interact with the module I'm trying to place about 50% of the time (the cross cursor changes back to a normal pointer within the same fraction of a second). The only reliable interaction is by using the discrete item navigation controls that I mapped to my joystick's hat.
[/list]

DxDiag: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zzjozlku ... 7koo7&dl=0

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 8. Feb 24, 20:26

i have 6750xt and had maybe similar issue, the mouse pointer started to flicker changing from pointer to that crossair in map, making clicks unreliable and also build ship or station mode would just stop accepting clicks and needed to exit and enter it again, what solved it for me was disabling all those extra options in amd adrenaline panel, maybe try to disable all and see if it helps, that panel where antilag and similar are

i never bothered to figure out what option did it since everything works fine with all off
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

sniper423
x4

Post by sniper423 » Fri, 9. Feb 24, 15:31

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I did turn everything off, but maybe there's something I'm missing so I've added images for you and others to check me.

I edited the OP with screen snips of my AMD Adrenalin settings as well as a screenshot showing all the in-game graphics settings set to minimum. The only setting I left on in-game is V-sync since I'm using a TV hanging on my wall for my display.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 9. Feb 24, 15:52

A quick check of your DxDiag shows that while your graphics driver suite and hence Vulkan is not desperately outdated, it can be updated. Try that and see if it helps at all. One of your Windows Error Reports is a memory pre-leak with RadeonSoftware.exe, which is rather unusual for a driver suite.

You have various other Windows Error Reports and one seems to be with appprotection.exe and to do with Citrix Workshop Virtual Apps. It may be worth seeing if anything unusual is going on there.

sniper423
x4

Post by sniper423 » Fri, 9. Feb 24, 16:22

Appreciate the feedback. I'll update the driver and report back in. The Citrix error report is known/expected (if annoying)...work from home related stuff.

As to the RadeonSoftware bit: I've been getting 1113s from X4 every 2-4 hours of play, with 32GB RAM + 32GB swap file (fixed allocation). Timing wise, the RadeonSoftware pre leak error seems highly likely that it derives from or is otherwise related to my last 1113. I logged on to the Forum to open my forum topics immediately after that particular ("then-latest") crash ended my X4 session, and ran the DxDiag later that day when I replied to your first response to me. The 1113s seem correlated with how much flying around (and possibly fighting) I do in a game...if I'm in pure management mode on the map and not flying around, I've gotten much longer sessions without an 1113, but I've also seen as short as an hour or so.

sniper423
x4

Post by sniper423 » Fri, 9. Feb 24, 18:23

Wow. So I spent 1.5 hours running incremental tests (after updating the AMD drivers), and I have it pinned down - repeatable on demand.

There's a problem between the mouse controls and any *discrete* secondary controls mapped to my Logitech/Saitek panel which do similar functions to mouse controls:
  • Scroll wheel on panel is set to tilt the map
  • Discrete buttons on panel will zoom in and out
  • Discrete button on panel for opening the interaction menu
As soon as I used the panel to perform a mouse-related event, the UI issues described in the OP started up. The issue persisted through restarts of the game, but ceased upon restarting the PC; I've now homed in on being able to "reset" the problem simply by unplugging the panel and plugging it back in again.

My first thought would be that there's something going on with the device itself, except the following points to X4's device handling - whether of the devices or the individual events themselves:
  • I have no control problems in Mechwarrior 5, in which I use all of my devices (panel, joystick, pedals, and mouse)
  • Windows' Game Controller service's test dialog does not show that the device buttons are stuck...button presses are detected and released as expected.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 9. Feb 24, 22:25

Good work! The devs are aware of this thread.

sniper423
x4

Post by sniper423 » Sat, 10. Feb 24, 14:09

Much appreciated, and thanks for your support!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”