Data Vaults in Windfall/Avarice sectors don't show on longrange until you're right on top of them

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Feloidea
x4

Data Vaults in Windfall/Avarice sectors don't show on longrange until you're right on top of them

Post by Feloidea » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 01:51

So, just got to searching for the Erlking blueprints as I'm soonTM going to start building my own wharf and shipyard and I ran into a little issue trying to find the blueprint data vaults. Long story short, after only finding two vaults I resorted to the erlkinggui.bat to get the exact coordinates and when approaching those I noticed that the longrange scans weren't giving me the expected pings until after I already saw the data vaults on my HUD.

Quicksave available to view here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArX9WUis7w6Daj83HTrLf-1DnCg

In that save, you'll find yourself looking directly at the vault 63.2km away which is just outside the range of when it shows up on HUD. Using the longrange scanner, you won't get any ping or purple indicator of the vault's presence. Getting just a tiny bit closer you'll see the data vault show up on your HUD. If you use the longrange scanner at this distance, you will get the ping and purple indicated as you should.

Naturally I suspect this isn't quite how this is supposed to work. Longrange scanner should ping vaults at a greater distance and not just when you already see them anyway.

Game version is latest live patch (v6.20 511811), game is completly vanilla (never had any mods installed at all so no possible conflicts there), English, Spear of the Patriarch gamestart. If system informations are desired I can deliver the relevant DxDiag.

edit://
The same issue with the last remaining data vault with the only notable difference being that this one shows up on HUD at a distance of 87.2km. No longrange ping if the vault doesn't show on HUD, if inching in just a a bit closer to see the unknown object on the HUD the longrange scan will ping it correctly.
Link to quicksave file showcasing the issue: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArX9WUis7w6DbBq-8mJ ... Q?e=dbLMql

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Data Vaults in Windfall/Avarice sectors don't show on longrange until you're right on top of them

Post by Nanook » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 04:34

Feloidea wrote:
Thu, 4. Apr 24, 01:51

Naturally I suspect this isn't quite how this is supposed to work.....
I suspect you're incorrect. Erlking data vaults are supposed to be much harder to find, by design. There's a very long thread in the spoilers forum discussing this very situation.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Feloidea
x4

Re: Data Vaults in Windfall/Avarice sectors don't show on longrange until you're right on top of them

Post by Feloidea » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 12:29

Pretty sure that's not how it is intended because patch 5.10 gave us this:
Improved visibility of Long Range Scan ping of Erlking Vaults.
Likewise, if them being much harder to detect were a design choice I'd expect their detection range to be uniform, not varying wildly.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 12:37

Just a comment that I didn't think that the LR Scanner ping range was itself all that uniform but depended on how the player held and released the scan button. Sure, it will have a theoretical maximum range though. None of this affects the main thread topic report though.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Feloidea
x4

Post by Feloidea » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 13:32

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 4. Apr 24, 12:37
Just a comment that I didn't think that the LR Scanner ping range was itself all that uniform but depended on how the player held and released the scan button. Sure, it will have a theoretical maximum range though. None of this affects the main thread topic report though.
Might be worth mentioning then that I always release the longrange scan as close to maximum charge as is humanly possible without resorting to a macro so I should be getting close to maximum range each time I scan. But as you said, this doesn't seem to be the cause of the issue I experienced.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”