Error Code 239 on startup - resolved with Windows reinstall

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Akropulis
x4

Error Code 239 on startup - resolved with Windows reinstall

Post by Akropulis » Mon, 29. Jan 24, 00:42

Hi all,

i just installed X4:Foundations afte getting a new PC (first time AMD processor AND graphics card).
The game will crash before the screen even turns black or opens the game window showing the following.

"X4 encountered a serious error: 239

If you get redirected to a web page, please follow the
instructions pointed out there. Alternativelysend a mail to
prioritysupport@egosoft.com with the subject: "Exitcode
239".

Error: No error on record."

That is the complete error message i recieve.

I am kinda clueless what to do now since the exit code is not listed in the list provided here.

Edit: Newest game update. Fresh/Clean install. CPU: Ryzen 7800X3D GPU: RX 7900 XTX

Vulkaninfo DxDiag

And as far as i know are all AMD graphics cards vulkan compatible.

Greetings
Akropulis
Last edited by Akropulis on Mon, 29. Jan 24, 01:06, edited 2 times in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Error Code 239 on startup

Post by CBJ » Mon, 29. Jan 24, 00:55

Generally speaking, an exit code like this at startup will mean that either your system doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the game, or that there is an issue with your graphics drivers that means the game can't initialise them. However, we're not going to be able to help you determine which of these is more likely, or offer much other advice, without the information requested in the very first thread at the top of the forum - the one marked "Please read this before posting!". For this kind of error, a DXDiag and vulkaninfo are the most important items, and the thread at the top of the forum explains how to obtain and provide these.

Akropulis
x4

Post by Akropulis » Mon, 29. Jan 24, 10:54

Bump because of edit.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 29. Jan 24, 11:27

Looking at your DXDiag, my first guess would be that the issue has something to do with your CPU's on-board graphics capabilities. You could try disabling that at the system settings level to confirm that theory. If that works then you may be able to re-enable it when you've explicitly selected the other card in the game settings, or you may need to update or reconfigure your drivers to make that work.

Akropulis
x4

Post by Akropulis » Mon, 29. Jan 24, 11:59

No change whatsoever after disabling it in device manager.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 29. Jan 24, 13:41

OK, we're investigating further what could be going on here, but at least one other player with a 7900XTX has reported that they were able to play after doing a full driver cleanup using DDU and then reinstalling the drivers from scratch.

Akropulis
x4

Post by Akropulis » Mon, 29. Jan 24, 15:07

I just made a complete harddrive format and reinstalled windows (i used a atlas distribution before) and will now try installing and launching again.
I will notify here of the results shortly.

Akropulis
x4

Post by Akropulis » Mon, 29. Jan 24, 15:35

Ok... the game runs without problems now. That sadly means I have no idea what really caused the issue in the first place.
Maybe just trying to avoid stripped down Windows distributions is a good idea in terms of compatibility.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 29. Jan 24, 15:39

We ran into the same issue with the last person who reported this. We never found out exactly what the original problem was; only that running DDU and reinstalling the drivers solved it. But thanks anyway for getting back to us and letting us know that it worked, as it may help someone else who runs into this situation. :)

arannack
xr

Re: Error Code 239 on startup - resolved with Windows reinstall

Post by arannack » Wed, 21. Feb 24, 01:17

I had the same issue recently with my new setup.
The Problem was that my ryzen 7800x3d have a onboard grafic chip and the game tried to start it with the onboard graphic.
I just disabled it in the bios and the game starts normally.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Error Code 239 on startup - resolved with Windows reinstall

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 21. Feb 24, 15:05

@ arannack: The OP said above that they had already tried that. Theirs seem to have been more old driver remnant issues.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”