Long time owner, first time player feedback

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

vaguswarrior
x4

Long time owner, first time player feedback

Post by vaguswarrior » Wed, 1. May 24, 07:01

Okay, so 7.0 got me pretty excited about X4. I kept trying into X4 over and over and kept getting frustrated, so I left. But I'm old now and I have a lot of time on my hands so I'm tryin yer beta, so I figured I'd just add some feedback, like...why isn't this allowed? why is this like this? It's just some jank that probably would make sense to you pros, but for a scrub like me, it's really annoying.

k...so this interface sucks.
Supply Feedback.png
OK, so why can't I open the encyclopedia with a right-click here? Clearly, I have a surplus situation, but it's my first time playing, and I want to be able to fix it. But I need to exit this entire UI and go to my encyclopedia to look up what I can do with my excess. And no I don't need feedback on this image, this is just an example. But, like, I don't have this stuff memorized, and I'm old. I want to be able to look this stuff up.

OK like this next parts similar:
Subordinates Infomation.png
Like, okay, cool. I got all the subordinates on this display. Why can't I just right-click and see the information? I know I can do that for the other window, but like...THERE ALL RIGHT THERE?! And yeah I know again, this is just a garbage example image but I'm trying to just say why can't we just...like look up the information on any of these subordinates from this UI? I figured it's a beta so this is my best shot at getting across the frustrating stuff that keeps me from playing more than like 15 hours every few years.

Ok next UI thing!

Faction Colours :
Faction Colours Default.png
Is there a reasonable reason that this is an option vs. just the default? It's not like it's ever extraneous data...like in a game of info crunch merging as much into the UI just makes sense...being able offload that information into a different visual indicator (like colour) is like a pretty reasonable CX improvement. I understand from an accessibility standpoint that there might be issues but like...I'm sure you can develop a similar setup for any colour correction accessibility settings.

ok hmmm, I dunno if I should post this next one, but ive been just sitting on a lot of stuff, this is super little but I dunno bugs me?

Ok, these starts are great! Lots of fun flavor...

Awesome Game Starts.png
But then we have this:
This Should Somehow Link.png
What if I just wanna like...start a custom game but have my PHQ done or like with a SETA or with a Carrier...like start from one of the already made games...basically gimme a way to say yeah start exactly in the same as one of your awesome game starts but with some modifiers without having to dial it all in manually. yeah only something you do once, but it's sure is annoying when you play a bit and realize you got something wrong lol

anyways I guess that's my feedback. I dunno if I'll check this forum again or anything i'm not super nerdy and stuff. I'm just old and like space stuff and figured if it's in a beta i'll yap up my say peace!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Long time owner, first time player feedback

Post by CBJ » Wed, 1. May 24, 09:03

As general game feedback rather than beta feedback, I've moved this to the main forum.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Wed, 1. May 24, 10:30

vaguswarrior wrote:
Wed, 1. May 24, 07:01
Faction Colours :

Faction Colours Default.png

Is there a reasonable reason that this is an option vs. just the default? It's not like it's ever extraneous data...like in a game of info crunch merging as much into the UI just makes sense...being able offload that information into a different visual indicator (like colour) is like a pretty reasonable CX improvement. I understand from an accessibility standpoint that there might be issues but like...I'm sure you can develop a similar setup for any colour correction accessibility settings.
when the colors are on you quickly see what factions is what ship, but if they become enemies they don't turn red and this is where I like this as an option, turn it off and all friendly are blue, enemy is red
vaguswarrior wrote:
Wed, 1. May 24, 07:01
ok hmmm, I dunno if I should post this next one, but ive been just sitting on a lot of stuff, this is super little but I dunno bugs me?

Ok, these starts are great! Lots of fun flavor...

Awesome Game Starts.png

But then we have this:

This Should Somehow Link.png

What if I just wanna like...start a custom game but have my PHQ done or like with a SETA or with a Carrier...like start from one of the already made games...basically gimme a way to say yeah start exactly in the same as one of your awesome game starts but with some modifiers without having to dial it all in manually. yeah only something you do once, but it's sure is annoying when you play a bit and realize you got something wrong lol

anyways I guess that's my feedback. I dunno if I'll check this forum again or anything i'm not super nerdy and stuff. I'm just old and like space stuff and figured if it's in a beta i'll yap up my say peace!
last options under special is exactly what you want, custom creative start lets you edit almost everything and give yourself anything, choose story states, with HQ or not etc...., budgeted creative start is based on your normal starts progress and its grayed out I think bc you didnt play much yet
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

vaguswarrior
x4

Post by vaguswarrior » Wed, 1. May 24, 20:49

when the colors are on you quickly see what factions is what ship, but if they become enemies they don't turn red and this is where I like this as an option, turn it off and all friendly are blue, enemy is red
Right... But that can also be included when a UI element. A red outline for hostility it can even have a gradient. It's not hard to have both, just needs some design creativity.

Might be fine for you fancy nerds, but I'm an old fart my eyes are bad enough as it is.
last options under special is exactly what you want, custom creative start lets you edit almost everything and give yourself anything, choose story states, with HQ or not etc...., budgeted creative start is based on your normal starts progress and its grayed out I think bc you didnt play much yet

It's not though... None of those things are labelled in a way that directly translates into a game. I still need to setup my starting ship, wealth, loadout, reputations, and the list doesn't match any of the start names!

Like which of these is the start: "Kingdom End: Emergence" Vs "Kingdom End: Queen's Herald."

I get the X4 community say it's one way but it sucks. I guess that's why I keep quitting this game.

Any ways I don't think anyone's will listen bit I think this is pretty much why folks only play a few minutes then leave the game.

Return to “X4: Foundations”