What is the most fustrating experience u constanty get by playing this game..

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Huib-Bloodstone
x4

What is the most fustrating experience u constanty get by playing this game..

Post by Huib-Bloodstone » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 17:44

Pick one thing that bothers u the most.

After u get some credits and u can actually own L/XL ships to fight for u, u bring the fight to the xenon but that's where i always get reminded that the combat mechanics don't work that great.. specially for capital ships.

I send a few L ships to pound on a K ship and they don't use there main guns, just gets close and they will get destroyed very easly..
"a problem well put is half solved"

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: What is the most fustrating experience u constanty get by playing this game..

Post by CBJ » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 17:47

Just to note that this specific thing is something we've been working on in the 7.00 Public Beta.

H34Dru5H
x4

Re: What is the most fustrating experience u constanty get by playing this game..

Post by H34Dru5H » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 18:05

Perhaps you should ask the same question after the 7 update as I believe many of our woes are being addressed. So let's spread some of that positive cosmic energy and hold on to our eject handles :D
B450 Tomahawk Max II, Ryzen 5600X, MSI RTX2070S, 16GB @ 3200, Sumsung EVO SSD.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 18:12

Huib-Bloodstone wrote:
Tue, 30. Apr 24, 17:44
Pick one thing that bothers u the most.

After u get some credits and u can actually own L/XL ships to fight for u, u bring the fight to the xenon but that's where i always get reminded that the combat mechanics don't work that great.. specially for capital ships.

I send a few L ships to pound on a K ship and they don't use there main guns, just gets close and they will get destroyed very easly..
Oooh, I was thinking, reading the post header, that you summed up a lot, but you did not even mention buying into a big station to build your own ships...
I know that the devs are looking at these posts, or get briefed, but I sincere hope that they will elevate this game to a high grade of intelligence especially when it comes to pilots.

One of the things I had not seen improved is the way a battleship reacts to one little khaak ship, fleeing? from a speck on your windshield?
Or the time it would take for a (now 3 star pilot) to understand if it is protecting a cargo or miner, NOT to go three systems away waiting for it and eventually get shot to dust himself or the -to be- protected ship gets destroyed and he does nothing!
Few things...
Ps. Computers can make errors, they are made and programmed by error-making humans. :D

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 18:16

Capital ships perform significantly worse when under high attention (in sector) compared to when they are in low attention(out of sector).
High attention means you are watching them directly(intentionally in the same sector), and low attention means you are only watching them through the map, so no physical simulation is running.

Feel free to check out this comparison video for more insight.
High attention:https://youtu.be/c07suznakUw
Low attention:https://youtu.be/mRkZyEb2lLk

Other than maintaining low attention, the AI struggles to prioritize targets, which means that if you have fighters accompanying the destroyers, the AI might prioritize targeting the fighters first. This delay can give the destroyers more time to respond effectively.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 18:17

Fleet AI is the most frustrating :rant:
In both high and low attention

Arisaya
x4

Post by Arisaya » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 18:37

There are quite a few and they almost all boil down to 'tedious extra clicks/steps/menus', so I'd say 'tedious extra clicks/steps/menus' - especially when its to work around arbitrary roadblocks thrown in front of the player for 'difficulty' but really only stymie new players.

The others are grievances are with poor IS AI navigation/main weapon usage, or certain things being tremendously OP when OOS - which can be exploited but also dramatically reduces the number of viable strategies.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 19:17

Ooh, pet peeves ..

I am completely OCD on AI pilots (that you are in the same cockpit as, but not actually captain yourself) landing at stations, particularly enclosed docks like S/M Fabs, and especially Terran Dome shaped enclosed docks.

A lot of work has been done to solve the jiggle fest on aproach to docks, but there remains a lot to be desired.

I designed a PHQ Boron Station, with docks waaay above the rock of the PHQ, with the main objective to get the docks away from anything else we could bump into on the aproach to landing or taking off. I also wanted to be able to view the rock and the rest of the station from above, so inverted (turned upside down) the docks when building it. Result is half the time ships on aproach will fly above the docks (so really they are underneath the docks) .. and then they try to bore through the underside of the dock to reach the landing pad :evil:

Ships landing at docks in Egosoft videos look soooo smooth, wish that was the reality in game all of the time instead of head butting the docks hull.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 21:38

Arisaya wrote:
Tue, 30. Apr 24, 18:37
There are quite a few and they almost all boil down to 'tedious extra clicks/steps/menus', so I'd say 'tedious extra clicks/steps/menus' - especially when its to work around arbitrary roadblocks thrown in front of the player for 'difficulty' but really only stymie new players.

The others are grievances are with poor IS AI navigation/main weapon usage, or certain things being tremendously OP when OOS - which can be exploited but also dramatically reduces the number of viable strategies.
Extra click, when you need to take control of a ship, you click, and not get DIRECT access to the chair to fly/control the ship to get into the fight, is mostly because of the tedious long waiting before the pilot moves out of the way(Those are merely seconds but imperative sometimes for the outcome of the battle). Who else did find this frustratingly annoying? when wanting to take control you accidently click on the pilot?

Other thing that puzzles me, if a ship has max 3 inhabitants(as example), it can't pick up or rescue a crew member, yet, every player can easily get on board!!! How is that logical?
Ps. Computers can make errors, they are made and programmed by error-making humans. :D

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 21:48

lack of civilian economy and exploration of 'unknown'.

/*

most of the mechanical problems (see docking case) seems to be just a side effect of 'realism' desire. Seriously: stop 'realism' just jump the bloody ship into the dock if it is in 'X' range and not managed to be docked during determined time-range (e.g. 1 min) and be done with the ordeal ;) or at force the wide lines of fly-by-wire approach - but that will impede serious limitations on station building plans, so maybe stick with the teleporting of the stubborn or drunk pilots and their awesome machines.

I bet that most of the players, even caring about the enjoyment of docking procedure themselves and other such stuff would be completely happy with that if this would save them from the Drill drilling into the station in the futile attempt to 'dock'.

The same with the slow-mo of crew changing position. I cannot count the times when I cursed while my dumb pilot was *slowly* raising his/hers arse while some enemy was pounding the ship, most of the times thanks for his or hers 5 stars awesome piloting... Just __get_out_my_way__already__!

The same case with pointlessly detailed rocks' models (I hope you have generated them in automation and no intern get clinical depression because of manually modelling the bloody asteroids for weeks) - there is no reason to be them like that. Seriously, since crystal nerf there is no reason to look at them up close.

Should we make a vote 'would you prefer models and textures of asteroids cut in half for +10 (or more) fps in particular (a lot actually) systems'?

Just stop trying in 'realism' and focus, please, on 'quality of life' stuff.

*/
Even Lower Spec (occasional) Gamer

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, kernel line: 5.15, X11
T14 AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U/Renoir, 32GB

Koizuki

Post by Koizuki » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 22:07

Mr.Killer wrote:
Tue, 30. Apr 24, 21:38
Extra click, when you need to take control of a ship, you click, and not get DIRECT access to the chair to fly/control the ship to get into the fight, is mostly because of the tedious long waiting before the pilot moves out of the way(Those are merely seconds but imperative sometimes for the outcome of the battle). Who else did find this frustratingly annoying? when wanting to take control you accidently click on the pilot?
Aim at the chair and doubleclick. I always do this and get in the chair immediately before the NPC even gets up.

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 22:52

Everything that has to do with destroyers under AI control, nothing like ships with weapons that have 10 km range and behave like torpedo dive bombers of WW2. :doh:
Case in point my Rays test in beta 3: https://youtu.be/gXNBMsxRgGM?t=139

And don't get me started on M torpedo bombers in X4, will we ever get behavior like this from M bombers?
https://youtu.be/evodPpqb9H4?t=16 (instead of drones, like in the clip, picture they are torpedoes)
Last edited by Ragnos28 on Wed, 1. May 24, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.

Huib-Bloodstone
x4

Post by Huib-Bloodstone » Wed, 1. May 24, 09:40

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 30. Apr 24, 17:47
Just to note that this specific thing is something we've been working on in the 7.00 Public Beta.
Well I am in that beta, doing a boron playthrough but right now I am trying to get to xenon sectors.

Really failing alot because in OOS things are fast and in sector to slow heh but still having fun.. running a stolen Adguard right now to attack stations but that's seems to fail alot. What's wrong with that main gun.. is it because I modded it with a purple cooling mod?
Last edited by Huib-Bloodstone on Wed, 1. May 24, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
"a problem well put is half solved"

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Wed, 1. May 24, 15:50

Huib-Bloodstone wrote:
Wed, 1. May 24, 09:40
What's wrong with that main gun.. is it because I missed it with a purple cooling mod?
Because all the destroyer weapon has gimbals but Asgard's beam doesn't, so the code doesn't work "well" anymore.
Last edited by flywlyx on Wed, 1. May 24, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

Bis
x4

Post by Bis » Wed, 1. May 24, 16:19

Oh, so a wishlist thread?
No.1 is lack of an effective "scout" type order to discover map, this is the single reason why I don't start new campaigns (can be modded in, plis integrate)
No.2 is everything related to Auto-traders: 3* requirement, have to manually set the wares each time, can't fleet them easily, you can't mimic repeat orders, barbarossa is the best trader, but is classified as a combat ship and gets aggroed constantly
The game is designed in a way to leave niches for the player to fill, but if you don't the economy slows to a crawl. Miners are not a problem but dealing with shipping is.
Minor:
Stations! Specifically targeting them during IS combat. Especially with AI friends or turrets, they either shoot at "dead" parts or don't shoot at all, fiddling with targeting priorities sometimes helps [maybe fixed now, speaking from my last experience of 5.20]
Station builder navigation, both the list of parts due to clutter and the station itself (up/down/left/right)
Scrolling the shiplist on your own wharf, especially S/M. Filters please.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 1. May 24, 18:55

The most frustrating experience with X4 for me, by far, is seeing all the constant whining on the forums (mostly Steam forums) regarding the AI, while I happily play the game and enjpy it without AI limitations bothering me.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Wed, 1. May 24, 19:00

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 1. May 24, 18:55
The most frustrating experience with X4 for me, by far, is seeing all the constant whining on the forums (mostly Steam forums) regarding the AI, while I happily play the game and enjpy it without AI limitations bothering me.
was just reading no multithreading post, and its just too funny how a guy does not care about anything but just his feelings :mrgreen:
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Wed, 1. May 24, 19:47

Koizuki wrote:
Tue, 30. Apr 24, 22:07
Mr.Killer wrote:
Tue, 30. Apr 24, 21:38
Aim at the chair and doubleclick. I always do this and get in the chair immediately before the NPC even gets up.
Sometimes it just not register it or a tiny move of the mouse prevents it, it's just bothering at times.

Koizuki

Post by Koizuki » Wed, 1. May 24, 19:55

Mr.Killer wrote:
Wed, 1. May 24, 19:47
Sometimes it just not register it or a tiny move of the mouse prevents it, it's just bothering at times.
Yeah, I get what you mean; I sometimes end up missing too and then the pilot starts turning around to get up.
BUT, even when that happens you still don't need to wait for the whole animation to finish -- simply aim at the chair again behind the pilot and click a second time and you'll get in right away regardless of where the NPC is in their animation.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Wed, 1. May 24, 19:59

Another tiny thing I witnessed, please, let someone from the team explain why this is, no hassle...

...standing behind a pilot often, because some commands you can't do 'driving' the ship yourself (let it sell or buy some stuff and go on, as in a que) it occurred to me the weird behavior it undertakes to avoid astroids. Then next to this behavior, the AI pilot has no problem at all to fly through stations to get where he needs to dock and when it comes to idiotic behavior, try to make a run through Avarice IV, it ALWAYS crashes full traveldrive into Tidebreak, ALL THE TIME.
This is still going on in version 7 beta whatever it is now, did nobody notice this? What's the purpose of not letting the pilot make those weird moves when it is actually handy, instead of crashing into a mountainsize rocky station?

I do hope they adjust this, because it is annoying, I can't let pilots fly that route unless I check everytime if it goes ok.... Should not be like this.

Return to “X4: Foundations”