COH how many extra sectors?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Poacher886
x4

COH how many extra sectors?

Post by Poacher886 » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 08:15

Does anyone know how many extra sectors are added with the COH expansion?

I typically go to Rogueys site for this kind of info but he's thrown the towel in unfortunately.

Also, would you now say its a match in size for x3AP?

mr.WHO
x4

Re: COH how many extra sectors?

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 08:19

Sol is about 13 sectors.
Pionieers have 3 sectors.
Yaki and Xenons have 2 sectors.

Poacher886
x4

Post by Poacher886 » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 08:41

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 08:19
Sol is about 13 sectors.
Pionieers have 3 sectors.
Yaki and Xenons have 2 sectors.
Thanks, thats quite an expansion then.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:18

Is anyone else "a bit" disappointed like me?
X3 AP had 238+ sectors, without counting those you can reach with the jumpdrive, the Kha'ak ones from X3 TC and the hub; a lot more of variety and races meeting from different sides of the universe.
X4 Coh has about 105 sectors in total, and the highways make them feel like 50. Factions that don't have any sector and factions that only have 3-5.
I think Egosoft is focusing a bit too much on the end-game gameplay features like Terraforming or the Ventures that so far don't make that much of a difference, and not enough on making the game more enjoyable since the beginnig, like for example doubleing the size of the universe, giving more freedom and space to the smaller factions, adding more factions with different relations between eachoter.
Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful game, but i am of the opinion that more could have been done easily for the design of the universe.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:26

Karvat wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:18
X3 AP had 238+ sectors
Except that X3 AP sectors have been build upone like 6 consecutive games.

X4 is at it's seconds DLC, so the universe should be compared to X2 (third game after X-BTF and X-Tension).

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:41

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:26
Karvat wrote:
X3 AP had 238+ sectors

X4 is at it's seconds DLC, so the universe should be compared to X2 (third game after X-BTF and X-Tension).
X2 Had about 136 sectors, factions meeting from 3 different sides of the universe and a big pirate area in the middle.
I think X2 wins the comparison if considering only the design of the universe.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:55

Karvat wrote:
X3 AP had 238+ sectors, without counting those you can reach with the jumpdrive, the Kha'ak ones from X3 TC and the hub; a lot more of variety and races meeting from different sides of the universe.
X4 Coh has about 105 sectors in total, and the highways make them feel like 50. Factions that don't have any sector and factions that only have 3-5.
I think Egosoft is focusing a bit too much on the end-game gameplay features like Terraforming or the Ventures that so far don't make that much of a difference, and not enough on making the game more enjoyable since the beginnig, like for example doubleing the size of the universe, giving more freedom and space to the smaller factions, adding more factions with different relations between eachoter.
Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful game, but i am of the opinion that more could have been done easily for the design of the universe.
Not many things can be done... and that for one main reason. The direction Egosoft wants to take the game. It is absolutely oriented towards the Economy side with Exploration, War etc on the backburner... not to mention Spaceflight (practically cancelled through the extremely invasive map and NPCs flying the player around).
Whether Egosoft is right or wrong in their assumptions/direction will only show on the 3rd DLC (if it is not the Borons) or on X5 where people will have to "vote" again with their wallet...

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:58

Karvat wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:41
mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:26
Karvat wrote:
X3 AP had 238+ sectors

X2 Had about 136 sectors, factions meeting from 3 different sides of the universe and a big pirate area in the middle.
I think X2 wins the comparison if considering only the design of the universe.
True but X2 also had jumpdrive, so travelling among sectors was not that "difficult"... I suppose that if the X4 Universe was the size of X2 (forget about X3) it would take about 2 days game time to travel all of them... f

Tidaar
x4

Post by Tidaar » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 10:00

Karvat wrote:
I am 100% with you on that one. I was a bit disappointed on the lack of neutral systems with the new COH and 4.0 addition. I did not say anything because I did not want to sound ungrateful for the expansion and the great other stuff Ego did in the game. But if I am being honest I would have loved to see far more systems.
I was hacked by a Xenon T and my ship board started showing this:
01000010 01110010 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01100001 01100011 01101011 00100000 01100010 01101111 01110010 01101111 01101110 01110011
:D

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 10:06

dtpsprt wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:55
Karvat wrote:
Not many things can be done... and that for one main reason. The direction Egosoft wants to take the game. It is absolutely oriented towards the Economy side with Exploration, War etc on the backburner... not to mention Spaceflight (practically cancelled through the extremely invasive map and NPCs flying the player around).
Whether Egosoft is right or wrong in their assumptions/direction will only show on the 3rd DLC (if it is not the Borons) or on X5 where people will have to "vote" again with their wallet...
One of the next Dlcs has to be about Borons because it will make the game feel kind of complete for all those players who have enjoyed the X series before X4.
Enlarging the size and the complexity of the map doesen't have much to do with this. And making a new game wouldn't make much sense since they can just keep expanding X4 instead of restarting the process again from scratch and risking a failure like XR.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 10:07

X4 with SV and CoH seems big enough for me already, I agree it would be nice to have more unclaimed and potentially dangerous sectors between the core-game factions and the ones introduced in the DLCs.

But, I think adding too many sectors can easily cause performance issues on current systems due to the background simulation that has been added.
I really don't want to go back to randomly appearing and disappearing ships.

I'm expecing more sectors to appear with further DLCs and I hope Egosoft has figured out a way to make use of all the extra cores in modern systems by the time X5 appears. (I don't expect the core-engine in X4 will change)

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 10:15

Karvat wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 10:06

One of the next Dlcs has to be about Borons because it will make the game feel kind of complete for all those players who have enjoyed the X series before X4.
Enlarging the size and the complexity of the map doesen't have much to do with this. And making a new game wouldn't make much sense since they can just keep expanding X4 instead of restarting the process again from scratch and risking a failure like XR.
You didn't catch the "underlying meaning of my reply...
Of course I (and everyone else my cat included) will buy the Boron DLC.
What I did put in a subtle way, so people will not thing I am rambling, is that when people will come to decide whether to buy the next DLC (Boron excluded) or the next X game there will not be a "OK, OK guys... this was a testbed for the new engine, the next one will be an X Universe game like the ones you enjoyed the past 15 years" and people will not have to "defend" their choices (I will have to point you to one of Aeshop's Fables for this, the one with the fox that had her tail cut) it is when Egosoft will be able to measure their success in the change they decided to bring on.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 10:28

Tidaar wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 10:00
Karvat wrote:
I am 100% with you on that one. I was a bit disappointed on the lack of neutral systems with the new COH and 4.0 addition. I did not say anything because I did not want to sound ungrateful for the expansion and the great other stuff Ego did in the game. But if I am being honest I would have loved to see far more systems.
I kind of had the same feeling about being grateful, but criticize correctly a game we love helps making it better, so:

I think that the lack of a pirate area in the middle of the commonwealth like the one we were used to have in the previous games is the biggest lack in the design of the map so far in X4.

And here's explained why: If you want to start fighting someone in X4 without compromising the economic posibilities you have, you have to go against one of those factions that almost don't have an economy in the game, so that if you wipe them out doesen't make that much of a difference... The Xenon and the other small factions. Since we don't have a way to restore reputation automatically with the others, it can become a bit tedius to always have to go to their sectors and attack their enemies while they're shooting at you every single time you want to stop a war against a bigger faction, so you prefer to keep them as allies and not start a war against them if you aren't convinced that you always want to be at war with them.

And here it comes the best aspect in the design of the map in the previous games, the pirate area in the middle, easily accesible from every gamestart, full of enemies you can fight when you don't want to care about losing reputation with a faction and you want to enjoy the fighting aspect of the game, a constant threat in the background for your miners and freighters that need to cross the universe and can't do it trough a safe highway.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 12:22

Big universe in not the most important thing.

Out of 230 sectors in X3 AP I never visited most of them more than once.

X4 universe, while far more smaller is much more busy and interesting for me.

There are some shortcomings:
- like lack of neutral/pirate sectors or pirate alleys
- main highway loop making the universe feel much smaller (fortunately both DLC stay away from main loop).
- I wouldn't mind having 30 more sectors to be on par with X2 - especially if these would be neutral and factions would fight over them to get them.

Despite smaller size, I'd never go back to X3:AP.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Thu, 18. Mar 21, 12:37, edited 2 times in total.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 12:36

Karvat wrote:
X3 everything grew on trees, literally. Consider the implications on economy and game as whole of having 238 sectors with X4 and the only weapon manufacturing facility is 210 sectors away passing through XEN territory.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 12:47

Panos wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 12:36
Karvat wrote:
X3 everything grew on trees, literally. Consider the implications on economy and game as whole of having 238 sectors with X4 and the only weapon manufacturing facility is 210 sectors away passing through XEN territory.
This isn't the case because in X4 you can just build another factory on the other side of the galaxy, and so the game does.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 13:01

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 12:22

- main highway loop making the universe feel much smaller (fortunately both DLC stay away from main loop).
- I wouldn't mind having 30 more sectors to be on par with X2 - especially if these would be neutral and factions would fight over them to get them.

Big Universe is one of the most important things for all those players who want to play a space game and feel the vastness of space, explore it, and never get tired of always staying in the same sectors.

In X4 it is possible to have load of empty, conquerable sectors, and to spread many more factions of the same race around the Universe, increasing the variety of each sub-faction and playing with the relationships between them to make the Universe more interesting on the diplomatic and economic aspects.

In X4 Xenon sectors are still too empty, and none of the pirate factions has his own sector, or a proper economy.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 13:08

Karvat wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 13:01
mr.WHO wrote:

Big Universe is one of the most important things for all those players who want to play a space game and feel the vastness of space, explore it, and never get tired of always staying in the same sectors.

In X4 it is possible to have load of empty, conquerable sectors, and to spread many more factions of the same race around the Universe, increasing the variety of each sub-faction and playing with the relationships between them to make the Universe more interesting on the diplomatic and economic aspects.

In X4 Xenon sectors are still too empty, and none of the pirate factions has his own sector, or a proper economy.
I feel like the emptiness of Xenon sectors adds to the bleakness that the faction should give as a feeling. They come in and annihilate. There are always plenty of Xenon ships in Xenon sectors in my game so I am assuming you mean the lack of xenon stations. Hmm, maybe I will look into seeing what happens if they build more solar power station hehe.

Prosik
x3tc

Post by Prosik » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 13:27

Lots of improvement possible.

Can link Presidents End to the gate at Argon Prime and have a mini-war perhaps with Khaak.

A gate opens and finds the original Black Hole Sun which could open up lost Argon and Split areas.

The gate in Heretics end opens enabling other side of Black Hole sun area and Goners.

Eighteen Billion gate could open to Clarity's end/Pirate/Argon and Xenon areas.

Cardinals Redress maybe possible Boron gate as well as Sacred Relic gate.

Ianamus Zura gate could be a way to opposite Clarity's end/Xenon/Pirate areas too as well as Ianamus Zura 1 :p

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 13:51

BlackRain wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 13:08
Karvat wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 13:01
mr.WHO wrote:

I feel like the emptiness of Xenon sectors adds to the bleakness that the faction should give as a feeling. They come in and annihilate. There are always plenty of Xenon ships in Xenon sectors in my game so I am assuming you mean the lack of xenon stations. Hmm, maybe I will look into seeing what happens if they build more solar power station hehe.
Yes, what i meant is that it's the only type of station they build and there's a lack of variety that makes their sectors a bit empty too.
Just adding a factory that refines minerals for example would be enough.

And that is the only faction of those that you are forced to have a -30 relationship that has an economy.

Return to “X4: Foundations”