DLC? Are You Kidding Me? CONTENT PATCHES!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

EmperorDragon
x4

Re: DLC? Are You Kidding Me? CONTENT PATCHES!

Post by EmperorDragon » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 12:38

Helmut_AUT wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 12:24
No. I'm saying to face the reality that content for modern games needs more manhour investment per asset, and that this reflects in either smaller games or steeper prices (via DLC).
Don't know if I can agree with this. A wide range of commercial game engines, software tools, templates, asset stores and internet communities makes game development easier than ever. The very reason why one-man and small indies are so common these days. Devs that rely on their own engines and handmade content will just have to keep up lest they fall behind.

The X-universe style of 4X space game is slowly catching on, bit by bit. Egosoft has the advantage of sticking to offline singleplayer but, they won't be alone forever.
“To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature - could one dream of anything more?” - Yuri Gagarin

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 12:40

Helmut_AUT wrote:
No. I'm saying to face the reality that content for modern games needs more manhour investment per asset, and that this reflects in either smaller games or steeper prices (via DLC).

The 70EUR collector editon includes two DLCs, so for 70 EUR you get quite a large game with five races and dozens of detailed ships and stations.

Now, if you want to feel entitled to the same amount of content as years ago from a game that was in its third re-release, patched and community-expanded, then thrre's really no need to blame your personal misconceptions on the developers.
No one expected the same amount of content, but giving us about 50% of the ships and other things while the quality at the same time went down (XR ships and effects look way better) is sure not something people expected.
I mean when I read that there would be only the three starting races I expected at least a big choice of battleships, frigates and destroyers per race like we had in the predecessors. Now I have one destroyer, one frigate and one carrier and thats it. And two of the three races look so uggly, that I never will fly them or buy them and the frigates look like bricks...

Sorry, but that is just very sad and I am disappointed. I wanted to support Egosoft but what they delivered is not what I was expecting and what people could expect after playing all other X-games.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Helmut_AUT

Post by Helmut_AUT » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 12:48

Max Bain wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 12:40
No one expected the same amount of content, but giving us about 50% of the ships and other things while the quality at the same time went down (XR ships and effects look way better) is sure not something people expected.
Okay, the comparison with XR seems a lot more valid than with X3 (as it's more along the same technology level). I can only imagine that the difference of being able to fly and command any ship in first person cut the model budget short. And maybe in addition the other gameplay features like the economy (something I could personally live with a less detailed version of).
EmperorDragon wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 12:38
Don't know if I can agree with this. A wide range of commercial game engines, software tools, templates, asset stores and internet communities makes game development easier than ever. The very reason why one-man and small indies are so common these days. Devs that rely on their own engines and handmade content will just have to keep up lest they fall behind.
Fair point, yet from what I know about Elite:Dangerous and Star Citizen, certainly the two biggest competitors, they aren't delivering more content per dollar either. Seems that mainstream game engines and tools aren't yet arrived in the Space Age...

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 12:50

Helmut_AUT wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 11:01
I'm honestly surprised that in 2019 there is a still a discussion or surprise about modern games having less content.
It's not a discussion. It's a rejection of that trend.
Shehriazad wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 11:01
You ignored the quintessence of my post.

You compare a simplistic 2D multiplayer game with a singleplayer one.
Absolutely not. I am comparing effect. Input ->X->Output, where the form of "X" is completely insignificant.
I got a lot more out of Terraria for way less money. And sorry CBJ, it HAS lousy graphics but i would buy it over X4 any day.
Last edited by Ghalador on Wed, 6. Feb 19, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Have fun: Gala Do.

EmperorDragon
x4

Post by EmperorDragon » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 13:02

Helmut_AUT wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 12:48
Fair point, yet from what I know about Elite:Dangerous and Star Citizen, certainly the two biggest competitors, they aren't delivering more content per dollar either. Seems that mainstream game engines and tools aren't yet arrived in the Space Age...
Both of those are online games (or require a permanent internet connection and frequent data downloads to function), not comparable or competition to X4 at all.

I am (will be) satisfied with X4's content post-2.0, the universe is quite small but the rest is what I expected. Just to make that clear.
“To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature - could one dream of anything more?” - Yuri Gagarin

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 14:51

kobayashimaru wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 10:57
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Wed, 30. Jan 19, 14:51
In my opinion as a professional software developer, comparing a new project (because that's what X-series games are - and always will be: multi-year projects, not just games) to years of development of X3 is a mistake. I understand the expectations, but still it is a mistake, especially after all these years (that means, as CBJ told us, assets created in the past are obsolete now).
I'm even a bit surprised this sort of critics are coming from the players of previous versions of the game - I mean, the project - knowing how Egosoft works (constant patches to resolve issues / bugs, perhaps insufficient testing if you really want some malice?) and knowing what is capable to deliver (thanks to the community feedback, too).

It's not an incomplete game, it's a new project growing week after week and patch after patch.

And yet some users make this kind of posts that are more similar to pre-teen whine than criticism (that is often useful, even if sometimes "badly" written).
Oh please! I'm a software developer too and I don't release incomplete and buggy products to my customers, especially not at a full price. Otherwise I would get a backlash like this, and rightly so. Call this game a project or whatever you like. Anyway, a project HAS TO BE FINISHED BEFORE YOU SELL IT'S FINAL RESULT ON THE MARKET!!! Further support during the lifetime of the product is just that- support. It includes fixing occasional bug that your testers couldn't detect, NOT patching up 50 % of the product that is missing and you knew was missing! For God's sake, there are actual placeholders for crucial features that are missing in this game and will be missing for a long time! That implies intent. Don't complicate things with fancy terminology and pointless philosophies further. The fact is it was falsely advertised, released utterly incomplete at a full price, players (customers) are cheated into becoming testers (for free) and any additional significant content will be further charged to those same customers. It's a dishonest and devious modern practice that more and more game companies adopt. Spare me the bullcrap excuses.
I know how you feel it is like buying a brand new audi or BMW without steering wheel or bug steering wheel and then you need 1-2 years non stop service in order to fix it same with the game :!:

The problem is the rush the game same as fallout 76 and that i don't understand why rush ti :? :?
Last edited by Thecrippler on Wed, 6. Feb 19, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 15:16

Thecrippler wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 14:51
I know how i feel it is like buying a brand new audi or BMW without steering wheel or bug steering wheel and then you need 1-2 years non stop service in order to fix it same with the game :!:
Even more absurd: We can drive that Audi only around the block in first gear because making the new Audi was so expensive that there was no more money left for roads. :D
Wouldn't you rather dive an old, rusty VW Beetle through the summer wind in Paris instead?
Last edited by Ghalador on Wed, 6. Feb 19, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

EmperorDragon
x4

Post by EmperorDragon » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 15:17

Thecrippler wrote:
The problem is the rush the game same as fallout 76 and that i don't understand why rush ti :? :?
I suspect that they ran out of money, bills have to be paid after all. Premature release was possibly the option they took for an additional cash injection.

Me and my colleagues ran into a similar issue in 2016. Ran out of funding and shipped our product in bad shape, around the same time as well, mid November. Only difference is that we didn't get off as easily as those in the gaming industry and faced legal action, we had to work around the clock like gulag dwellers to fix our mess, no Christmas, no new year celebrations, no rest. As the saying goes: If you mess up you have to man up.

Our mess was sorted out by the end of January.

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 15:48

Ghalador wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 15:16
Thecrippler wrote:
I know how i feel it is like buying a brand new audi or BMW without steering wheel or bug steering wheel and then you need 1-2 years non stop service in order to fix it same with the game :!:
Even more absurd: We can drive that Audi only around the block in first gear because making the new Audi was so expensive that there was no more money left for roads. :D
Wouldn't you rather dive an old, rusty VW Beetle through the summer wind in Paris instead?
To be honest i rather drive a old version then a new one same ting with the game now the there is a small problem there is 2 tips of players

1) Old players are expecting new things from the game graphic ships and so on and the old players war playing old versions the x the rebirth so in the end they get bored with graphic ships and so on

2) Then you got new players same story but opposite site they didn't play the x the rebirth (like me :D ) and they were hoping to get same version of the game x the rebirth or 50-50 from the old version

then you got performance new version game takes 150% more than the old version

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 15:58

Software, unlike cars, does not degrade over time. So the analogy with cars is not quite accurate. It would be like getting a car before it was completely perfect because you really wanted to try it out early, and then over time it slowly gets better as the car developers push out new upgrades.

This is not business or machine software, where it is critical that it works right or money and livelihoods are lost. It is a game. If it is not perfect, but I trust that over time the bugs will be ironed out and a good product will eventually be delivered, I am not upset at having spent some money on it, even if right out of the gate it is not flawless.

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 16:21

Thecrippler wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 15:48
To be honest i rather drive a old version then a new one same ting with the game now the there is a small problem there is 2 tips of players
The great chieftain Mighty Eagle speaks in riddles. Whot now?
Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 15:58
Software, unlike cars, does not degrade over time.
Actually they do degrade. Everything is relative and they degrade relative to your perception.
If you don't believe me, go play Ultima 5 or Elite ... the REAL Elite on the C64.
Most people today would also not believe what was called photo realistic graphic in the past.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 17:41

pref wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 20:19
Graaf wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 18:26
Continuing on Rebirth is another bad decision.
Have you played X4? It's much closer X3 games then to rebirth. Really have no clue where did you get this idea.
I have. And from my perspective only 3 things are different between Rebirth and Foundation: sector layout, station building, more pilotable ships. For the rest it looks like a carbon copy. It's nowhere near X3. I know, because I play X3.

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 17:45

Graaf wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 17:41
pref wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 20:19
Graaf wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 18:26
Continuing on Rebirth is another bad decision.
Have you played X4? It's much closer X3 games then to rebirth. Really have no clue where did you get this idea.
I have. And from my perspective only 3 things are different between Rebirth and Foundation: sector layout, station building, more pilotable ships. For the rest it looks like a carbon copy. It's nowhere near X3. I know, because I play X3.
So do I...I got all X:Titles except Rebirth that I had refunded...and that game FEELs vastly different.

If anything it feels somewhere between X:R and X3....and that is MY opinion.

Just how you saying it's a carbon copy of X:R is your OPINION. It would be nice if people took a step back and made sure to not write down such things as fact when they are just opinions, not invalid opinions... but opinions nonetheless.

Nafensoriel
x4

Post by Nafensoriel » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 18:23

EmperorDragon wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 12:38
Helmut_AUT wrote:

The X-universe style of 4X space game is slowly catching on, bit by bit. Egosoft has the advantage of sticking to offline singleplayer but, they won't be alone forever.
INCORRECT
Do not spread or assume this kind of garbage. It is garbage. All game engines cannot work for all projects. There is no game engine commercially made outside of egosofts HQ that does what X games REQUIRE to exist without effectively rewriting them from scratch. You cannot make UE4 do it. You cannot make Frostbite do it. Do not continue to spread this asinine nonsense because you do not understand how game engines work.

Additionally, many game companies are finding out that commercial engines are a long term death sentence into mediocrity. Once you sign on you are limited to whatever the engine can do. It limits your vision to a tiny box. Sure you CAN buy UE4 and make the EXACT SAME GAME as 20 other companies.. or you can do your own thing and make something actually unique. You fail to mention how many of those indys never make any money even with millions in sales as well due to the above issues.

No software tools help development. Those tools exist because without them it would be prohibitive to use certain elements. In other words, the tools are a symptom of the extra man-hours required rather than a solution.
"A Tradition is only as good as it's ability to change." Nael

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 18:39

X4 is good, just not that big! The stations are spectacular, the ships are ok but lack that wow look. Particularly the Teladi. Man they cut the budget on those designs!
X3, TC had tons of ships, why not in this game?
Shipyards, Wharfs. To get your ships from, ( I am shaking my head with the limited number of them ).

Yes Egosoft are trying with updates, to fix things but I agree to not paying for more content, when the game is so small in the first place.
Yes small ! The scale has changed giving the elusion of size ! I try not to use the highways as they shrink the game even more.
Rebirth had way better looking sector’s, X4 is for the most part very dull in comparison. Sorry to say it as I was expecting so much more visually….
If this was Egosoft's first venture into space, then I would understand. But they have a massive wealth of sector backdrops, ships, sectors to choose from. So why have such a small Map. (There needs to be thousands of sectors in todays gaming world) gaming has advanced so much yet to give us 50ish. Thats poor planning.
So to have to pay for more content is I think a bit naughty !
I so want this game to grow, as it has such potential.
What would it cost them to add in some Rebirth sectors, they were interesting and diverse. Even if empty, I would fly them.

Egosoft ! You have dun a magnificent job with the stations. Now you need to bring the rest of the game into the modern gaming world.

Nafensoriel
x4

Post by Nafensoriel » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 19:11

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 18:39
X4 is good, just not that big! The stations are spectacular, the ships are ok but lack that wow look. Particularly the Teladi. Man they cut the budget on those designs!
X3, TC had tons of ships, why not in this game?
Shipyards, Wharfs. To get your ships from, ( I am shaking my head with the limited number of them ).

Yes Egosoft are trying with updates, to fix things but I agree to not paying for more content, when the game is so small in the first place.
Yes small ! The scale has changed giving the elusion of size ! I try not to use the highways as they shrink the game even more.
Rebirth had way better looking sector’s, X4 is for the most part very dull in comparison. Sorry to say it as I was expecting so much more visually….
If this was Egosoft's first venture into space, then I would understand. But they have a massive wealth of sector backdrops, ships, sectors to choose from. So why have such a small Map. (There needs to be thousands of sectors in todays gaming world) gaming has advanced so much yet to give us 50ish. Thats poor planning.
So to have to pay for more content is I think a bit naughty !
I so want this game to grow, as it has such potential.
What would it cost them to add in some Rebirth sectors, they were interesting and diverse. Even if empty, I would fly them.

Egosoft ! You have dun a magnificent job with the stations. Now you need to bring the rest of the game into the modern gaming world.
It has fewer ships because it has more non-content features. This is just the natural trend due to gamer demand for pretty much all titles past 2015.
What it means is for the same dollars spent during development they do not have enough "pie" to spend on physical content over these features as they did before when these features did not exist.
To better help you understand what this means let's look at what a game from 2005 would have to have to meet gamers:
In 2005:
-Lighting effects were simple. Effectively a flashlight and you only had a few of them on screen because processors couldn't handle more.
-Physics barely exists so it was a novelty to add. Even when added it was simple and often buggy.
-Models had effectively a quarter of the physical detail of today's models.
-Textures were limited to 480p or less for the most part. A 1080p texture was considered "high res".
-Animations were expected to be a little janky and they only had to apply to arms, legs, etc. Capes didn't have to move or if they did it was a static animation.
-Hud effects were simple opaque or semi-opaque and usually limited to the sides of the screen. You might have seen "floating" markers for FPS games with very limited information attached to them(such as location or distance)
-Particle effects were very simplistic and very taxing on CPU/GPU.
There is more but that's enough for now to show you a difference.

In 2015+:
-Realism is king. If you don't use realism you have to use semirealism with artsy tricks ala borderlands cel-shading.
-Lighting is complex even entering into reflected light(very expensive performance wise). You now can have dozens of lights per scene and often those lights are all dynamic and capable of casting their own individual shadow.
-Physics is now required. Even how a character walks is passed through a physics engine. Physics is also significantly more advanced than previously. An object can actually have more than one source of "push" at a time now.
-Models are absurdly higher poly than they used to be. The current Final fantasy MMO has models that hit 1 million plus. The age of just using a bump map or a texture to simulate surface detail are long dead.
-Textures are 2k, 4k, even 8k! What's worse is most of the time they have MULTIPLE LAYERS! The file size for textures has SKYROCKETED in the last 10 years.
-Animations for everything! That slide lock on your gun in COD# better actually move properly AND in sync with each bullet discharge or some lore nut is going to rage. That cape better flutter in the wind too! I also better not see those feet ever "float" over the terrain!
-Hud effects are now extremely complex. They float. They attach to objects. They contain WAAAAY more information than ever before. Most people don't know but hud effects actually cost a good chunk of performance. It's a drawcall and its a cpu/gpu drain for each and every one of them. When your "squad" all has floating health bars with distance markers, status effects, and other such "ready at hand" data there is a cost in performance.
Particle effects are massively more complex. Fires are expected to have embers. Explosions are expected to fling debris and produce varied blast smoke.. that floats in the air no less. Heck, even dirt is supposed to happen.

None of these things comes without a time cost but the average market audience demands it now. This is why you THINK you pay more for less game. You don't really. You are just paying for things you cant actually play with. You personally may not agree with this but the majority of buyers today demand this level of detail for what they consider "top tier developers". This means that you will get less content because of it and there is really nothing you can do to change that with current market trends.
"A Tradition is only as good as it's ability to change." Nael

pref
x4

Post by pref » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 19:15

Graaf wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 17:41
Let's add UI to that, dynamic faction AI regarding economy - similar to but more advanced then GoD, variation in ship equipment, trading etc.
It's nowhere near X3 only in content, but that isn't too surprising as they had quite some time to flesh out the game while using the same engine from reunion (2005) or perhaps even before that.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 19:42

I am aware of the demands of power for the sparkles to look effective. This all takes place in the main nugget of the game programming.

Ok so when entering a new sector, the program calls in the sector file ! The fundamental programming remains the same, then the new sector file fills the variables required for the new sector !

Take away the backdrop, and the relevant placement of obstacles within the sector and the core programming is still as was !

All I am requesting is more back drops files, to to give a more massive deception as to the size of the universe. Adding sectors need not be detrimental to the games core objectives. Just side sections of the map, for explores to enjoy the vastness of space. Keep your war’s in the core part of the map.

The complexities of intertwined actions within the core game remain, but out on the fringes there is no reason not to add more visually pleasing sectors to fly through. They need not be relevant to the game as such, just adding more interest at very little cost. Its not much to ask as written before, the rebirth sector backdrops must still be filed away somewhere !

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 20:54

Nafensoriel wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 19:11
In 2005:
-Lighting effects were simple. Effectively a flashlight and you only had a few of them on screen because processors couldn't handle more.
-Physics barely exists so it was a novelty to add. Even when added it was simple and often buggy.
-Models had effectively a quarter of the physical detail of today's models.
-Textures were limited to 480p or less for the most part. A 1080p texture was considered "high res".
-Animations were expected to be a little janky and they only had to apply to arms, legs, etc. Capes didn't have to move or if they did it was a static animation.
-Hud effects were simple opaque or semi-opaque and usually limited to the sides of the screen. You might have seen "floating" markers for FPS games with very limited information attached to them(such as location or distance)
-Particle effects were very simplistic and very taxing on CPU/GPU.
There is more but that's enough for now to show you a difference.

In 2015+:
-Realism is king. If you don't use realism you have to use semirealism with artsy tricks ala borderlands cel-shading.
-Lighting is complex even entering into reflected light(very expensive performance wise). You now can have dozens of lights per scene and often those lights are all dynamic and capable of casting their own individual shadow.
-Physics is now required. Even how a character walks is passed through a physics engine. Physics is also significantly more advanced than previously. An object can actually have more than one source of "push" at a time now.
-Models are absurdly higher poly than they used to be. The current Final fantasy MMO has models that hit 1 million plus. The age of just using a bump map or a texture to simulate surface detail are long dead.
-Textures are 2k, 4k, even 8k! What's worse is most of the time they have MULTIPLE LAYERS! The file size for textures has SKYROCKETED in the last 10 years.
-Animations for everything! That slide lock on your gun in COD# better actually move properly AND in sync with each bullet discharge or some lore nut is going to rage. That cape better flutter in the wind too! I also better not see those feet ever "float" over the terrain!
-Hud effects are now extremely complex. They float. They attach to objects. They contain WAAAAY more information than ever before. Most people don't know but hud effects actually cost a good chunk of performance. It's a drawcall and its a cpu/gpu drain for each and every one of them. When your "squad" all has floating health bars with distance markers, status effects, and other such "ready at hand" data there is a cost in performance.
Particle effects are massively more complex. Fires are expected to have embers. Explosions are expected to fling debris and produce varied blast smoke.. that floats in the air no less. Heck, even dirt is supposed to happen.
And yet:

- Explosions look better in X3
- Particle effects, beam weapons, and thruster trail effects are better in X3
- Textures have better art direction in X3, hiding lower model fidelity
- Said lower fidelity models have much better LOD regression, without the noticeable 'steps' and missing parts in X4's LODs
- Environmental reflections are more prominent and of higher quality in X3
- Hud information is more prevalent and useful in X3 (targeting monitors; stations etc. show up as selectable, directional icons; targetting indicators show off-screen ship positions, etc. etc.)

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 21:57

Nafensoriel wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 19:11
STUFF
But where is the gameplay?

And you mentions Physics. Is that X3's physics where you die when you fly into an asteroid or station? Or is that the Rebirth/Foundation way of bouncing? Or when being a passenger phasing through the object?

Return to “X4: Foundations”