X Series would have ended after X3: Reunion if...

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sentinel-Ghost
x4

X Series would have ended after X3: Reunion if...

Post by Sentinel-Ghost » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 18:28

I feel the X-Series and by extension Egosoft would have ended within a month or two of X3: Reunion's release had these forums been flooded by similar levels of immature, rage induced Steam-Forum toxicity and diatribes that are being directed at X4: Foundations currently.

Criticising X4: Foundations is fine, there is A LOT that needs to be improved, but attacking defenders of the franchise as fanboy's with disingenuous arguments and insults is unnecessary.

WHAT happened to you Egosoft forums - what happened - I thought this community was above this sort of thing.

Edit: Title updated as OP was unable to - Sparky
Sentinel-Ghost wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 22:39
In Retrospect I should have perhaps made the title "X Series would have ended after X3: Reunion if... to be a bit clearer." (can't seem to edit it...)

lordmuck
x4

Re: X Series ended after X3: Reunion

Post by lordmuck » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 18:48

Yeah X series took an epic nose dive after X3 and its DLC. I say this without including bugs.

mistervec
x4

Post by mistervec » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 19:06

Jim Sterling once said that the greatest source of fury and threats directed his way are people angry with him for liking the wrong things.
General Electric #119T53 Toaster with Stapled-On celeron chipset. 256 megs of toast. Graphics powered by a bit of cardboard with "graffiks" written on the side by a small child.

Sentinel-Ghost
x4

Post by Sentinel-Ghost » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 19:09

lordmuck wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 18:48
Yeah X series took an epic nose dive after X3 and its DLC. I say this without including bugs.
Though I disagree with you on most of that point, I can agree that many of X2's ship and station designs were awesome and superior to X3's ship designs, i.e Argon Titan etc. (nice redirect though :wink: )

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 19:12

be gleed they make most ships symmetric their was a time anything needed to be "asymmetric "anyone knows nature and beauty go's hand in hand with being symmetric i looking at you EvE.
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 19:23

Sentinel-Ghost wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 18:28
I feel the X-Series and by extension Egosoft would have ended within a month or two of X3: Reunion's release had these forums been flooded by similar levels of immature, rage induced Steam-Forum toxicity and diatribes that are being directed at X4: Foundations currently.

Criticising X4: Foundations is fine, there is A LOT that needs to be improved, but attacking defenders of the franchise as fanboy's with disingenuous arguments and insults is unnecessary.

WHAT happened to you Egosoft forums - what happened - I thought this community was above this sort of thing.
Different times my man, different times
And different efing kids :D
I remember that I played for like a year before I found out there is a forum, patches and OMG mods!
I was a little kid and not so knowledgeable of what is "out there"
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 19:52

Sentinel-Ghost wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 18:28

I too got to know Egosoft's forum as a mature, sophisticated place, where trolling was nowhere to be found, but also regular or insider humour was pretty poor as well.

Surely, the huge influx of newcomers to the series has to do something with the less mature, less patient posters. But again, regardless of their maturity their opinion is still valid, and considering the release state of the X games lately, they do have a point.

So no, the X series haven't ended because of the more lively forum. In fact, it's becoming normal just now, showing that the series finally became mainstream.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 20:05

Maybe start with yourself? For example, stop treating arguments against your position as personal attacks?

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 20:27

oooooooooo x2 ! the PSG's ? a wave of blue spewing forth from each direction of the Osprey. Yeah that had some awesomly epic ships too! the Dragon and there was another I forgot the names :'(

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 21:11

lordmuck wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 20:27
oooooooooo x2 ! the PSG's ? a wave of blue spewing forth from each direction of the Osprey. Yeah that had some awesomly epic ships too! the Dragon and there was another I forgot the names :'(
Arguably, X2 was the best game of the franchise with X3:R+XTM coming a close second.

I think X4 has reclaimed some of the X2 charm, albeit without a shed load more bugs at release than any previous X-game (IME/IMO).

As for X2 ships:-

M5: Discoverer, Octopus, Pegasus, Jaguar, Harrier, Mandalay, N, Scout
M4: Buster, Mako, Pericles, Scorpion, Buzzard, Bayamon, M, Interceptor
M3: Nova, Barracuda, Perseus, Mamba, Falcon, Orinoco, L, Fighter
M6: Centaur, Hydra, Nemesis, Dragon, Osprey
M2: Titan, Ray, Odysseus, Python, Phoenix, K, Destroyer
M1: Colossus, Shark, Zeus, Raptor, Condor, J, Carrier
TL: Mammoth, Orca, Hercules, Elephant, Albatross
TS: Mercury, Dolphin, Demeter, Caiman, Vulture
TP: Express, Manta, Hermes, Iguana, Toucan
Last edited by Sam L.R. Griffiths on Mon, 7. Jan 19, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 21:21

Dafuq is this topic?
Loved, X-BTF, X2 and X3, but I enjoyed X3:TC the most. Didn't bothered much with X3:AP as there was not enough new content there.
X-R was cancer, but after 2 years of patching turned to decent game.

X4 is OK-ish for Egosoft release standard - in about a year they patch most of essential bugs and expand the game with 1 DLC.

It doesn't stop me from cryticizing what I don't like and praise what I like - in good old, more mature times (and I was a child back then) it was called "lively and healthy discussion".

I can't stand how now, every western snoflake whine about toxicity and such crap.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 21:29

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 21:21
It doesn't stop me from cryticizing what I don't like and praise what I like - in good old, more mature times (and I was a child back then) it was called "lively and healthy discussion".
A lot of (if not Most of) the pro-X3 diatribe can be considered unhealthy and toxic, I know what the OP is getting at.
mr.WHO wrote:
I can't stand how now, every western snoflake whine about toxicity and such crap.
The nature of the critique and discourse regarding most gaming communities these days can be considered generally unhealthy and toxic compared to similar discussions 10+ years ago. Things have degenerated over time as has most of the attitudes of modern society.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

hort_wort
x4

Post by hort_wort » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 21:38

I first came here trying to learn to play X3 better as a fighter pilot. It's my fault. I brought negative energy when I fussed about the scaling difficulty level making my preferred fighter useless.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 21:43

I think it's always been the way of X that the games evolve over time. But the online society has evolved too, and are more vocal when disappointed. - I guess if you pay for a product and it doesn't do as you'd hoped, you've the right to voice your concerns.

X4 is a bugged and incomplete game, but I enjoy playing it. I also accept that over the course of the next year or two, Egosoft staff will invest their time in improving it to a state many people would've hoped it'd been on release day. Others aren't so patient or, yeah, forgiving, and are making their voices heard. The only thing that's confusing me a little is how many people who seem to loathe the game have played 5 or 6 times as many as my 70 hours all-told since release day. I get every element of their anger, but can't comprehend how a few also spend every waking hour seemingly playing a game that is anathema to them. - Maybe some do so with a few to uncover and report further issues? I don't know, but it's their right to play 400 hours and call the game a steaming pile.

But the forums aren't as they were, and people aren't as polite, but why should they be? If a line is crossed, the moderators step in, and I feel they've been told to be a little more lenient over the last few weeks with tempers running high, and the factional nature developing within the user base. - And it's NOT new users with new philosophies that are being more aggressive, as many have a join date right back at the beginning, late 2003, or 2004.

So I say live and let live. It's not for us to question how others feel about the game, and calling out an opinion as the wrong one is akin to claiming blue is the best colour, and anyone who thinks otherwise is defective.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 21:49

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 21:29
mr.WHO wrote:
The nature of the critique and discourse regarding most gaming communities these days can be considered generally unhealthy and toxic compared to similar discussions 10+ years ago. Things have degenerated over time as has most of the attitudes of modern society.
I dare to claim opposite - internet was always flooded with toxicity and crap from the very start - at least back then people had enough common sence to ignore it for 99,99% cases.
Now it's snowflake internet with their "boo-hoo, toxic attitude, mommy save me!"

Egosoft endured it with no problem and emerged stronger. They don't need armchair white knights to try to save them.

Sentinel-Ghost
x4

Post by Sentinel-Ghost » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 22:11

radcapricorn wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 20:05
Maybe start with yourself? For example, stop treating arguments against your position as personal attacks?
As far as I'm aware, I haven't been. But I apologise if I have given that impression.
Last edited by Sentinel-Ghost on Mon, 7. Jan 19, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

Sentinel-Ghost
x4

Post by Sentinel-Ghost » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 22:20

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 21:49
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 21:29
mr.WHO wrote:
I dare to claim opposite - internet was always flooded with toxicity and crap from the very start - at least back then people had enough common sence to ignore it for 99,99% cases.
Now it's snowflake internet with their "boo-hoo, toxic attitude, mommy save me!"

Egosoft endured it with no problem and emerged stronger. They don't need armchair white knights to try to save them.
Oh there have always been troll's no doubt, but over the last decade I have witnessed a general decline, its just shame that the vocal minority who usually reside in the cesspit of the Steam Forums have begun to seep very noticeably into formerly niche forums such as this where generally things were a tad more mature.

Pointing out toxic attitudes is a looong way from dismissing criticism outright or vehemently attacking those who dare offer a different opinion (which I consider a better sign of 'snowflakyness')

Just for reference this profile is my 2nd on this forum, my first is much older - think i joined in 2007? Haven't checked it recently.

OwnlyMe
x4

Post by OwnlyMe » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 22:25

i'd rather play 100 hours x3 1.0 than just 1 hour x4 2.0

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 22:31

After so many years and hundrerd of hours I simply can't stand X3 GUI anymore.

X4 GUI has it's quirks, but it's way better.

solarie99
x4

Post by solarie99 » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 22:33

Hi :)

Well no the X-series clearly did not end at X3 as we are playing X4 :P :gruebel: :D

Return to “X4: Foundations”