Will X4 be playable in STEAM offline mode?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

spooidz
x4

Will X4 be playable in STEAM offline mode?

Post by spooidz » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 22:01

I tried searching for the term "offline" and keep getting this error:

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Utils.php on line 76: DOMDocument::loadXML(): EntityRef: expecting ';' in Entity, line: 31
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Renderer.php on line 19: DOMDocument::loadXML(): EntityRef: expecting ';' in Entity, line: 31
So, to the question. I never use STEAM online mode unless I am forced to. Will X4 be playable in STEAM Off-Line mode?

Thank You

Axeface
x4

Re: Will X4 be playable in STEAM offline mode?

Post by Axeface » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 22:10

Yes of course it will, why would you think otherwise? There is no online component to the game.
I'de be shocked if you cant.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 22:14

@ spooidz: I confirm the search error for 'offline' in the forums using the Egosoft Advanced Search.

Even using Google Advanced search of the forums, I did not get any significant hits relating to playing X4 in Steam offline mode.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

TrashAngelMP
x4

Post by TrashAngelMP » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 22:17

I wonder how game will react to mods in this case because for example in another game, Rimworld namely, if you go offline then game will disable all mods you installed via workshop, basically game force you to play online.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 23:00

It's a single player game so I would imagine that you wont have any problems playing offline. Although you will have to go online sometimes for updates etc. :)

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 23:08

Axeface wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 22:10
Yes of course it will, why would you think otherwise? There is no online component to the game.
mods, updates, both crucial for this game :P one would say it's unplayable without both :)

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 23:11

Alci wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 23:08
Axeface wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 22:10
mods, updates, both crucial for this game :P one would say it's unplayable without both :)
You can install mods and updates and then put steam back in offline mode to play.

Fedora01
x4

Post by Fedora01 » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 23:15

Can I be honest and say that this is an odd question? Putting Steam in offline mode has little to no effect on games, save for if they're not up to date. Even then it would only affect your ability to play online only games, unless there's something I'm missing?
In space no-one can hear you scream unless you're transmitting on the right radio frequency.

It was about this time I realized I might have too many tabs open.

fcth
x4

Post by fcth » Sat, 27. Oct 18, 00:18

Axeface wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 23:11
You can install mods and updates and then put steam back in offline mode to play.
You can, though there is at least some chance it won't work. I know Cities: Skylines had (has?) a problem where it would silently drop all your mods if you played in offline mode. In theory offline mode should be fine, but in practice I'd imagine it doesn't get much testing.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Sat, 27. Oct 18, 00:28

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 22:14
@ spooidz: I confirm the search error for 'offline' in the forums using the Egosoft Advanced Search.
Forum server status updated to "Fine (?) <30% on fire"

But yeah, I don't think there's going to be much of a difference if you play with Steam offline. The main thing we want with you being online is that you have the most up to date version.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

AleksMain
x3tc

Post by AleksMain » Sat, 27. Oct 18, 00:30

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 22:14

Even using Google Advanced search of the forums, I did not get any significant hits relating to playing X4 in Steam offline mode.
You ought to use NoSteam instead for search.
Historically the Egosoft have provided the NoSteam EXE for all previous X games, so perhaps they'll do the same again after some reasonable time has passed.

For example: How do I use the NoSteam executable? (X Rebirth)

spooidz
x4

Post by spooidz » Sat, 27. Oct 18, 04:05

AleksMain wrote:
Sat, 27. Oct 18, 00:30
You ought to use NoSteam instead for search.
Historically the Egosoft have provided the NoSteam EXE for all previous X games, so perhaps they'll do the same again after some reasonable time has passed.

For example: How do I use the NoSteam executable? (X Rebirth)

I had forgot about that, but that is down the road.

For all the responses above thanks. I guess we'll find out the exact STEAM play after release but I was planning on getting the pre-order so asked.

X3-TC had retail non-steam distribution at the same time as STEAM. And you could even start non-steam using the STEAM files pasted into a standard folder (it was just a copy of retail release). Don't know if that continued for AP and Rebirth.

With there not being a retail non-STEAM copy for X4, unless I missed a link, it will have to be played with STEAM. Some STEAM games have also been locked down to STEAM versions of launchers.

Since there is no option at this point I wanted to see if this release had any other STEAM forced functions for play, whether STEAM Cloud saves or forced on-line requirements. STEAM isn't as bad as some other play-portals, but without a retail non-Steam release, it's better to try to ask up front.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 27. Oct 18, 05:20

Fedora01 wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 23:15
Can I be honest and say that this is an odd question? Putting Steam in offline mode has little to no effect on games, save for if they're not up to date. Even then it would only affect your ability to play online only games, unless there's something I'm missing?
Main reason I prefer to play offline is because I strongly dislike steam's insistence on immediately updating games.
Even if auto-updates are disabled it simply won't let you start a game until it's been updated.
This can be annoying if you're perfectly happy with the version you have installed & each time there's a new update it breaks several mods, or ruins a game currently in progess.

One current example which bugs the hell out of me: Fallout 4.
There are quite frequent updates but these days the only content is their expensive paid mods, which I have no interest in whatsoever.
Nevertheless those updates still install (even if you buy nothing) & still keep breaking my game,
often for several days until the creators of the mods I do use have time to update their own work.
Only viable solution is to keep steam offline as much as possible so my installation of Fallout 4 doesn't find out about those updates, or at least as few of them as possible.

Have also had issues with Civ 5 & 6, where I'd prefer to maintain a consistent version until I've finished a particular run.
Can get very annoying if an update suddenly rebalances a particular aspect of the game & suddenly the entire empire revolts
& a game which has been running for perhaps 50 hours or more (I like slow games on huge maps), suddenly has to be abandoned as unrecoverable.
Better by far to stay offline & only let games update when it's convenient to do so.

Combat Wombat
x4

Post by Combat Wombat » Sat, 27. Oct 18, 05:48

Most games these days made by devs that care have all the major versions or a rolling list of a few versions available. So if you have a stable version you like you just set it to that in Steam and it never updates to newer versions until you set it back. Stellaris, Empyrion do it, and Rebirth does it but only with the last 32-bit version for some reason.
You can give a man fire and he will be warm for a day, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sahvion
x3tc

Post by Sahvion » Sat, 27. Oct 18, 16:18

TrashAngelMP wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 22:17
I wonder how game will react to mods in this case because for example in another game, Rimworld namely, if you go offline then game will disable all mods you installed via workshop, basically game force you to play online.
Then it must be something with your game, because I play Rimworld offline quite often and never had mods disabled.

KarlHemmings
x4

Post by KarlHemmings » Sat, 27. Oct 18, 17:16

My reason for offline mode is that when I travel I almost never have decent internet connection and so standalone offline is more or less essential.

Return to “X4: Foundations”