Interior walking

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should X4 have stations' interior walking feature or not?

Yes
46%
No
35%
Do not care
19%

Total votes: 210

Alex Shadow
x3tc

Interior walking

Post by Alex Shadow » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 07:04

What do you think?

Khadafi
x4

Post by Khadafi » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 07:08

no, since NPCs right now are reminding me too much of X-Rebirth and there they used to kill the immersion for me since they simply looked plain ugly and way to static.
If this is changing during development (in the Teaser-Video of the alpha version they look similar to the once from Rebirth, except for the fact that they are walking around randomly like puppets) I'm fine with the landing feature.

Tharrg
x4

Post by Tharrg » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 07:28

I cannot see how there could be a problem with interior walking as long as its optional. If necessary I expect a mod will aprear quickly to make that so.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 07:33

- I don't need a time-sink.
- I like the Borons.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 07:35

No, they should pack it as tight as possible and only expand for gameplay reasons but not just for the sake of it like in XR.

Walking in a hangarbay is nice though. I hope for some variation and some nice ship interiors.
Would also not mind observation decks to get a good look of your surroundings - imagine standing on the top of one of those stations...

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

aquatica
x4

Post by aquatica » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 08:09

Yes and no. Depends a little...

YES:
- If the AI is not as dumb as in XR
- Do not make it dreadful time-sink (like in XR)
- Give us observation decks or similar

NO:
- If it's just the same as in XR
- AI is static
- It has forced minigames (XR's station price for example)

In other words: make it optional.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 11:34

Yes if it has a good game reason, is appropriate to the characterisation*, sees good variations and above all can be considered enjoyable.

*(Demeaning duct-diving by visiting ships' captains?)

Also note this thread.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 13:09

My vote is "no", as it has been whenever the subject of FPS sections in an X game comes up. I think it's entirely unnecessary, and no, Tharrg, just making it optional does *not* suffice, because they still have to waste time developing the feature, time that would be far better spent in other areas of the game IMHO.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 13:19

I'd rather they skip the walking and use set pieces which you travel to by way of a click on a map of where u are so u skip walking and just transition there instead. Use the resources to make those scenes interactive with talk and chat and trade, like kinda in freelancer. So less open space more compact scenes. Just need a cool lively bar, a traders den, commanders office, dock. Should be enough. Of course try to have layouts varied as u don't want rince and repeat same scene in all stations. Set about 10 different room variants for each place, 10 per race specific maybe?
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Juggernaut93
x4

Post by Juggernaut93 » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 13:29

For me walking in the hangar while watching ships dock and leave is a nice feature, it helps me with immersion. So I voted "yes".

EDIT: Actually I don't know if with "interior walking" you also meant to include the hangar.

x3tc

Post by 26072013 » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 13:44

Juggernaut93 wrote:For me walking in the hangar while watching ships dock and leave is a nice feature, it helps me with immersion.
I liked that, too. The size of the ships on the platforms looked really great.

But interiors? To make that a cool feature I think Egosoft would have to invest in better tech for NPCs, better writing and better voice actors. Otherwise it's not immersive and even downgrades the game.

Better spend that time and money on space.

insolent1
x3tc

Post by insolent1 » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 14:22

I'm going with NO, as I think the devoplment time for it would be far better spent fleshing out the game.
Its the reason why the boron won't be there on release, which is sad.
Its going to affect the modding of the game for something that seems pointless to me at least.
I'd be interested to know how much of the devoplment time and effort percent would be used on this feature

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 14:38

I do not really care.

I personally try to avoid docking to stations as much as possible. I usually do it only to upgrade or repair my ship since it can't be done from space. Having to dock is actually a good incentive for me to try not to have my ship scratched in a fight.

That being said, it does have a lot of potential for cool features, and I know some players really love the feature to walk around and see it upgraded. What ES showed in the promotional vids was pretty good, and they could really make something good with it.

I just hope they won't force the players to use the feature too much. That being said, XR has reached a good equilibrium, with players having only to dock once in a while, and mods can always allow any players to adjust to game to their liking if need be.

Sorry if I'm repeating stuff that's already been covered. I don't know exactly was was said and/or promised by the devs up to now, I couldn't watch the stream and I only watched a quick trailer yesterday on Youtube. Those ship/station interiors looks super nice. I'm quite eager to see how it will evolve.

At any rate, with the effort they put in all this, I think it's pretty fair to say the feature is here to stay.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 15:07

They already added the feature to walk around and such in Rebirth so I doubt that it requires much in the way of development since it is an already completed feature in Rebirth. There is the need to create the interiors, but it is certainly less of an issue than making the feature from scratch. From what I saw in the presentation, it looks like it might just be the docking bay you walk around in. I don't think you go further inside stations. I remember Bernd mentioning something about the only time you can go inside rooms and such is when you are on a mission.

CommanderTM
xr

Post by CommanderTM » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 15:09

I like being able to do that and it would be nice if it had benefits BUT, i dont like to be forced to do it. Even if the possibility is there and i rarely use it, i stil get a lot more FREE feeling in the game.

Player
x4

Post by Player » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 16:30

I want to walk around.

lostProfitssssArrgh

Post by lostProfitssssArrgh » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 17:29

I'd vote yes but only in the case of boarding stations/ships to capture them. (Will likely never happen due to difficulty and 'X is not an FPS' philosophy).

Otherwise, walking around for shopping, changing ships and whatnot is a waste of player time and dev resources, imho.

Cheers'
LPA

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 17:38

No, I vote no - this is a waste of time.

In X4 Egosoft focused on great/functional landing pad for station and detailed ship interiors/bridges - this is what is most important to me and I'm content with Egosoft decision.

They will probably also make detailed interiors for player HQ (they already mentioned there will be HQ where you research the teleporter).

Station interiors can be added/expanded by modderd later on.

OwnlyMe
x4

Post by OwnlyMe » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 21:39

i dont see any point for walking in any way (except egoshooter boarding combat)
it just makes everything inconvenient. (bothering with getting up, waiting for animations, same when the co pilot is on your seat. i can already see me screaming at my screen "get up already you useless piece of crap". shift+a = autopilot takes over - no delay at all ...)

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 21:48

I love being able to get out and walk around a ship. Spacewalking is okay, but for whatever reason, I get a better feel of the scale of things if I'm "on foot".

Return to “X4: Foundations”