Suggestion: Adding support for multiple physical monitors

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

lyubarskiy
x4

Suggestion: Adding support for multiple physical monitors

Post by lyubarskiy » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 01:36

For people with multiple monitors it would be incredible to display your map full screen on a separate monitor. Not only for the sake of general info and visibility but also managing large fleets and battles.

In addition to that, it could be great to display your owned ships, stations, wares and other MFD's on a separate display to have that info present at a glance, without the need to go in and shuffle through menus.

Title updated - Sparky

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 01:49

I sense people on the edge of their seat, already planning home "cockpit" designs in expectation of an answer... :)

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 02:12

2017 and people don't title their threads.

CommanderTM
xr

Post by CommanderTM » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 10:09

Im not sure how common it is to have multiple monitors but i do and would love to have the ability to send stuff to my second screen.

lostProfitssssArrgh

Post by lostProfitssssArrgh » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 16:34

I've had 2 monitors for a long time now (~20 yrs). While it is nice when using high-end professional software, I've never come across a game that would really benefit from that, not even X. (personal opinion.. everybody's got one...)

However, if ES is considering implementing multi-monitor support, I would suggest making that into the form of floating windows so that the other screen(s) is(are)n't completely taken over by the game. That would also allow everyone to set things up however they wanted, as long as the layout is saved (global? per game save?).

-lpa

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 17:11

If I remember correctly Supreme Commander RTS game had ability to show map on second monitor, but it was just a gimmick.
Same would be for X4.
I don't see the point of commading the battle via map when dogfighting in the same time.
I'd sit safe and cozy on my big battleship and command via map.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 17:28

Having multiple monitors in XR would have been great to have quick access to multiple info simultaneously, more than to give orders. For example, having a station's status page displayed in front of you while browsing the trade window. As it is, it's a mess of clicks anytime you want a quick glance at an info, and even worse when you want to analyse and compare some datas for trading, building supplies, mission objectives, etc. God only knows how many paper notebooks I've filled while playing rebirth.

Granted, this was due to the multilayered click-frenzy based UI in XR. X4 seems to get a really nice overhaul, so maybe the desire to be able to spread your various property/trade/encyclopedia/map/etc. across multiple screen will not be as intense since the relevant data should be quicker to access. However, due to the complexity of the game, I think we'll always end up wanting for multi-screen for a reason or another.

That being said, here's a question: Does anyone have a recent game in mind that had multiple-screen support? And I'm not talking about only widening the game's display so that you end up having a wider image spread on 3 screens. I'm talking about games that will actually allow to open multiple windows on different screens.

I can't recall anything recent that supported this feature. Not as long as it ran in fullscreen or broderless window anyway.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 18:30

mr.WHO wrote:If I remember correctly Supreme Commander RTS game had ability to show map on second monitor, but it was just a gimmick.
Same would be for X4.
I don't see the point of commading the battle via map when dogfighting in the same time.
I would have to disagree with the gimmick remark. With thousands of hours in SupCom and SupComFA, much of that with dual monitors, having the tactical map or using it for split views (i think you could put 3-4 other views) was exceptionally useful for managing multiple bases/intel while keeping your main screen focused on the action.

While I would love to see this in X4, if nothing else than for the increased situational awareness since the MKI Eyeball can't watch the entire zone in 360 degrees while trying to fly the ship. It would a very welcome optional addition for immersion but I would rather it was added after the game launched.
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 18:32

Ezarkal wrote:Having multiple monitors in XR would have been great to have quick access to multiple info simultaneously, more than to give orders. For example, having a station's status page displayed in front of you while browsing the trade window. As it is, it's a mess of clicks anytime you want a quick glance at an info, and even worse when you want to analyse and compare some datas for trading, building supplies, mission objectives, etc. God only knows how many paper notebooks I've filled while playing rebirth.

Granted, this was due to the multilayered click-frenzy based UI in XR. X4 seems to get a really nice overhaul, so maybe the desire to be able to spread your various property/trade/encyclopedia/map/etc. across multiple screen will not be as intense since the relevant data should be quicker to access. However, due to the complexity of the game, I think we'll always end up wanting for multi-screen for a reason or another.

That being said, here's a question: Does anyone have a recent game in mind that had multiple-screen support? And I'm not talking about only widening the game's display so that you end up having a wider image spread on 3 screens. I'm talking about games that will actually allow to open multiple windows on different screens.

I can't recall anything recent that supported this feature. Not as long as it ran in fullscreen or broderless window anyway.
Only one I know of was Supreme Commander and Supreme Commander FA in terms of recent games.
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 18:55

StormMagi wrote:Only one I know of was Supreme Commander and Supreme Commander FA in terms of recent games.
Come to think of it, I have physical copies of these games at home, but never got to try them. I should get on that. :P

But still, I don't know how obvious multi-monitor support would be in term of programming. If it was anything obvious, there should be more than a few games that would support this feature.
That's why I was asking. Maybe it's simply something that's tougher to do than it sounds.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

lostProfitssssArrgh

Post by lostProfitssssArrgh » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 19:15

@ Ezarkal

Maybe multi-monitor support is rarely implemented since most modern PC games also target console platforms...

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 19:29

StormMagi wrote:
mr.WHO wrote:If I remember correctly Supreme Commander RTS game had ability to show map on second monitor, but it was just a gimmick.
Same would be for X4.
I would have to disagree with the gimmick remark. With thousands of hours in SupCom and SupComFA, much of that with dual monitors, having the tactical map or using it for split views (i think you could put 3-4 other views) was exceptionally useful for managing multiple bases/intel while keeping your main screen focused on the action.

While I would love to see this in X4, if nothing else than for the increased situational awareness since the MKI Eyeball can't watch the entire zone in 360 degrees while trying to fly the ship. It would a very welcome optional addition for immersion but I would rather it was added after the game launched.
Well, max zoom in/out takes on half a second while close-in view was only need for base construction. This makes dual monitor a gimmick to me.

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 20:11

I would like to see a two monitor option, having your ship/station list or the map on a second screen would be great so you aren't constantly flicking in and out of windows.

lyubarskiy
x4

Post by lyubarskiy » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 22:45

Morkonan wrote:I sense people on the edge of their seat, already planning home "cockpit" designs in expectation of an answer... :)
I have been doing that since X2
Last edited by lyubarskiy on Thu, 31. Aug 17, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

lyubarskiy
x4

Post by lyubarskiy » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 22:47

CommanderTM wrote:Im not sure how common it is to have multiple monitors but i do and would love to have the ability to send stuff to my second screen.
Most people that have pc's that I know have multiple monitors. They are now so cheap that it is becoming commonplace. I am sure if you wanted one for the reason that I have stated, you could get a used HD panel for no more than $50.
Last edited by lyubarskiy on Thu, 31. Aug 17, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

lyubarskiy
x4

Post by lyubarskiy » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 22:48

lostProfitssssArrgh wrote:I've had 2 monitors for a long time now (~20 yrs). While it is nice when using high-end professional software, I've never come across a game that would really benefit from that, not even X. (personal opinion.. everybody's got one...)

However, if ES is considering implementing multi-monitor support, I would suggest making that into the form of floating windows so that the other screen(s) is(are)n't completely taken over by the game. That would also allow everyone to set things up however they wanted, as long as the layout is saved (global? per game save?).

-lpa
That was the basic idea i was trying to convey. Instead of deadlocking the controls and the game when Map is activated, you could just drag it to the extra screen and any other open window that you would want.
Last edited by lyubarskiy on Thu, 31. Aug 17, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

lyubarskiy
x4

Post by lyubarskiy » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 22:51

Same would be for X4.
BattleField 4 has this feature. before loading the game, you can select to show the real time map of the server. You then place this map on a different screen and start the game in your main screen. Perfect for real time info on things.

In the X game though, I would like to be in the action and instantly be able to command a small group of ships to flank behind the enemy.
Last edited by lyubarskiy on Thu, 31. Aug 17, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

lyubarskiy
x4

Post by lyubarskiy » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 22:54

Ezarkal wrote:Having multiple monitors in XR would have been great to have quick access to multiple info simultaneously, more than to give orders. For example, having a station's status page displayed in front of you while browsing the trade window. As it is, it's a mess of clicks anytime you want a quick glance at an info, and even worse when you want to analyse and compare some datas for trading, building supplies, mission objectives, etc. God only knows how many paper notebooks I've filled while playing rebirth.

Only one that I know of is BattleField 4. Before loading the game, you can select to show the real time map of the server. You then place this map on a different screen and start the game in your main screen. Perfect for real time info on things.
Fallout 4 is another example, except you can access you pipboy through your ios or android devise and do all the pipboy things from it.

But I do agree. Maybe commanding is not the option, however having info at a glance without the need to scroll through menus would be a dream, especially in an X game.
Last edited by lyubarskiy on Thu, 31. Aug 17, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

lyubarskiy
x4

Post by lyubarskiy » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 23:00

Ezarkal wrote:
StormMagi wrote:Only one I know of was Supreme Commander and Supreme Commander FA in terms of recent games.
Come to think of it, I have physical copies of these games at home, but never got to try them. I should get on that. :P

But still, I don't know how obvious multi-monitor support would be in term of programming. If it was anything obvious, there should be more than a few games that would support this feature.
That's why I was asking. Maybe it's simply something that's tougher to do than it sounds.
Possible, but Fallout 4 has gone as far as letting you acess your pip boy though your Ipad / iphone / android while playing. Not sure if that is more difficult to do than existing screens on pc but I would assume it is.

the main reason I believe, is that multiple monitors have only recently become main stream, and "hardcore" games have only recently started coming back after a decade of console dominance.

lyubarskiy
x4

Post by lyubarskiy » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 23:04

lostProfitssssArrgh wrote:@ Ezarkal

Maybe multi-monitor support is rarely implemented since most modern PC games also target console platforms...
I am also thinking that "hardcore" games have only recently started to resurface after a decade of console dominance and multi monitor setups have only recently become main stream.

Return to “X4: Foundations”