DLC? Are You Kidding Me? CONTENT PATCHES!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Max Bain
x3ap

Re: DLC? Are You Kidding Me? CONTENT PATCHES!

Post by Max Bain » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 09:43

In my humble opinion I must say that even when Egosoft would fix ALL bugs that are in the game, the game would still not be finished and I would not think about buying a DLC.

For me the base game lacks too much content at the moment and with content I mean SHIPS and weapons. Each race should have a bigger choice in L and XL combat ships and weapons.
I like to play the game as one race (for example Argons) and then I dont want to buy ships from other races and therefore for me the content is just way too few at the moment and I will not buy any new DLC if this will not be fixed.
I speak of at least 1 more L and 1 more XL ship PER race of course and maybe 1 or 2 race special weapons (also the ships should look better than most of the ships we have right now).

Btw.. the equipment ship coming in 2.X is not what I am talking about. I speak about real combat ships that look unique...

Then we can talk about new races in a DLC.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

alado
x4

Post by alado » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 09:55

This is a joke? I dont buy any DLC of this Alpha game

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 10:01

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 09:13
I see I'm probably the only one who liked Rebirth here...
no you are not
1 thing that I enjoyed was combat, hunting 1 xenon I could take 1 hour and it was fun, graphics and explosions were awesome

and that is why Im bored with x4 now

I consider Rebirth a spinoff, it fits better then a egosoft failure :D
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 10:09

Buzz2005 wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 10:01
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
no you are not
1 thing that I enjoyed was combat, hunting 1 xenon I could take 1 hour and it was fun, graphics and explosions were awesome

and that is why Im bored with x4 now

I consider Rebirth a spinoff, it fits better then a egosoft failure :D
I agree also. XR had way more and better looking ships and better effects. The content was plenty while I miss basic content in X4. WOnt buy anything before acceptable content in X4 exists..
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

El Novato
x4

Post by El Novato » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 10:29

They hired or are hiring someone under the job description " MD scripting and mission author"

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=411947&hilit=hiring+person

So more content is coming if Cthulhu is not summoned.

shinral
x4

Post by shinral » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 10:42

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Rebirth is a nice action game, good story, atmosphere, ship sectors and stations design. Combat and boarding is satisfying, so many turrets and explosions.
X4 is not even a game in this moment, no storyline, no goals, no events. Only a flat space sandbox. I really hope some long and depth plots will be added, we really need good storyline like x3tc (Terran plot, Operation Final Fury, Hub plot, HQ plot, Goner plot, Treasure Hunt, A New Home)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 10:48

I must admit to being a little disappointed in the number and placement of turrets on the larger L ships. I would really like my large freighters and destroyers to have way more teeth. I have noticed that the Behemoth has a lot of flat surfaces just crying out for a turret or two.

I also think it would be a good thing to have weapon diversity between the races. Some race specific weapons as in previous games. I do like the small heavy fighters (Quasar being a favourite) and the M class.

The station building aspect of the game I really like. The visual editing is very well done. I am currently doing some tasks for the Argon, which includes selling wares in particular sectors. The map is very good for this, although I did like the way you could control multiple Manually Operated Remote Traders (MORTs) in Rebirth.

I have already paid for the DLC so it's just a case of being patient. Yes, I find there are lots of little niggles, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of playing so I put up with the minor inconveniences.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 11:25

First: Thank you, Dread Quixadhal, for your post . +1

Second: "Veni, vidi - et je ne crois pas mes yeux" [roughly "I came, saw and cannot believe what I see" - Quotation of Julius Caesar in one of the "Asterix"-stories]: A number of - presumably younger - posters speak high about ReBirth and praise it over X4. Wow. I still remember the forum wars and the rant against RB, resulting in Steam-refunds - as fair as I know setting a precedent.

But the pattern repeats: When X3 Reunion was released, the community ranted about bugs and less content than X2. X3TC was condemned when published, and X3R highly praised then. Later, X3TC was praised to the skies ...

I have to say that my respect for the guys at Egosoft has been growing during all those years because (1) they still go on strong improving their game(s) and because (2) they still put up stout resistance against the sheer number of insults, rants, requests and threats.

Exaggeration might be considered as hidden praise. But the Ups and Downs here are absurd

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 11:45

Graaf wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 07:06
BUNCHA TEXT YO
You keep saying incomplete and seem pissed about Split returning as a DLC....but as far as I am aware there is a reason that most races and faction are not present (aside from the obvious development standpoint).

All gates had disabled, shifted positions and were then reactivated way later.

This means that the Sohnen/Ancient ones DECIDED that it was a good idea to split the Split (lol) and the Borons OFF from the other factions for reasons we might not fully understand. For that same reason they also keep on denying us the final killing blow against Xenon whenever we get close...it seems that all races need to be preserved. The Terrans on the other hand...well...not sure if we would WANT to see them back as a race because I kinda feel like they could be enemies now, OP ones at that.

This is of course not perfect and some people who want just all races from the get-go will be let-down...but the core game of what makes an X game is pretty much all there.

There is (clunky) fleetbuilding

There is exploration

There is trading (for sure)

There is combat

There not being a conclusive story seems to be a conscious choice made by Ego that they now at least somewhat regret and will try to fix...but it was seemingly intended that way.

So I don't really see the game as incomplete...it's just not fully functioning.

And what you think of X:R is totally your standpoint, but your remarks so far don't seem to make it possible in any way to convince you of anything that X4 is just X:R² simply because ...well...you say it is. So I'm gonna leave that as is since that is just your opinion, and definitely not mine.

Cisor
x4

Post by Cisor » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 11:51

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 30. Jan 19, 15:40
X-Tie wrote:
Wed, 30. Jan 19, 15:17
There are many games that are rushed for release and end up being full of bugs / unfinished. What I find unacceptable here is that the upcoming DLC isn't very far away and that means a lot of resources are going into that DLC instead of working on FIRST polishing out the base game.
That simply isn't true. Most of the work required for DLCs is work for artists. While they may have a few asset corrections to contribute to the bug-fixing process, and even some content to add for new gameplay features that will be part of the updates for the base game, they cannot help with the majority of that work and are therefore free to spend some time preparing new ships, designing new sectors, and so on.
You explicity link the majority of the artists' current work to the DLCs, and in particular, new ships to the DLCs, and that is troubling.

From the feedback I've seen, here and on Steam, many of your customers expected X4 to have many more ships and weapons. While yourself and others have explained the parcity, at release, it doesn't change the impact of the parcity. If a major reason why you bought X4 is being able to fly most of the ships, the release is rather underwhelming since there are so few ships; main reason for buying rendered trivial after a few days playing. It is one of the reasons why the game is being perceived as incomplete.

So perhaps the comment by X-Tie is somewhat true. You're having the artists work on DLC content when they could be working on the ships and weapons your customers perceive, and you yourself acknowledge via the 'not being able to reuse assets' explanations, as missing from the released game. Perhaps it's just the way you worded your response, but I sometimes wonder whether you guys put yourselves in your customers shoes. Is it strange to you that many of the reviews became more critical the longer people played?

In short, your response seems to indicate a decision to task the artists with DLC content work, rather than prioritising the missing artistic assets in the released game; the ships, weapons, turret placements, etc, that your customers, in many, many threads, are prioritising.

Jase555
x4

Post by Jase555 » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 12:36

EmperorDragon wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 08:56
Quick off-topic question: I still see people compare X4 to Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous, did these games receive proper offline modes (or planned in SC's case) that I'm not aware of to actually make them comparable to X4? Meaning a proper offline modes and not some complimentary "singleplayer" that's only a quarter of the game?

There's a massive difference between a game that simply relies on multiplayer communities to make the game world function and one in which a robust AI must be programmed to achieve the same result. AI programming takes a lot more than just relying on human players.
I play elite dangerous in solo. Just me and the NPCs. Although I did have 2018 off waiting for content.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 13:03

repatomonor wrote:
Wed, 30. Jan 19, 23:13
NoelSt wrote:
Wed, 30. Jan 19, 22:51
I bought this game, 50 eur....

I paid more for a dinner that only lasted an hour. This game has given me days and days of enjoyment, despite bugs.
Now that I think about it, me too. Damn, that sushi was a rip-off.
Dont even mention that extra sauce DLC... it's like Horse Armor DLC all over again.

X4 has many problems. But the DLC plan is not one. If they did it like X3, they would re-release the game with a little bit of extra content each time... so i dont know why anyone would bring that up. :gruebel:
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Titan2k4

Post by Titan2k4 » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 15:09

consiefe wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 09:05
But unbalanced ship variety as most ships feel the same and they need to be much more characterised with intended roles
Yepp. That is something I am deeply missing in X4. As you say.. The ships feel all the same. Why? Because they are: They may have different amounts shield or weapon slots but that's where the difference ends.
Why did it feel so much different to pilot a Buster or a Nova? Not only did you have an actual useful turret in the back in the Nova - but you had different weapon choices. Different Missile Choices. And here is the big difference:
Things weren't just depending on the module you install. They were based off the actual ships energy generator provding a certain MW output to weapons energy and MJ to shield energy. And even those were split into:
Weapons Energy Capacity (How long can you maintain full fire) and Weapons Recharge Rate in MW telling how much energy you counter-generate while draining your weapons energy and how effectively you keep generating firepower when Capacity was depleted.
I, for example found myself going back to the Split Dragon for many combat purposes because it had 2 main factors. Great speed and great Weapons Recharge rate to be able to deal tons of damage even over a long periode of time. And this is where X3 shined... Ships had their purpose and depending on what you were looking to do with them, you enjoyed ranking up other factions to get that specific ship for that specific purpose into your fleet.

All this is gone. Its just gone. Bye bye. You have ridiculously low amount of weapon and shield modules and that's all the consideration you will do. That is all the customization you will do. Sorry, but that is not even "related" to X3. Its different in every regard. If Egosoft wanted to make an X4 - successor to X3 - why does it seem to me like they made so many choices in which they intentionally go away from X3?

tarax007
x4

Post by tarax007 » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 15:54

repatomonor wrote:
Wed, 30. Jan 19, 16:05
Oh boy here we go.

In the end, I find your passive-aggressive threats against a company that depends on money quite amusing. Not that voicing your concerns is bad, because opinions need to be shared for feedback and progression. But what you are doing is quite the opposite. Which is a shame, because if your post wasn't fueled by negative emotions, the thread could have had a strong, opinionated discussion about what should be release and DLCs material.
Yea Basically ditto all you said mate.

I get the "type of hate" that this originally stems from. Many other devs and companies sure have lowered the general morale of gamers as far as false promises and all that goes...

But here, with egosoft and X4 ? ... Erm No?
Sure had a small bit of a rocky launch, They by far redeemed themselves by quickly patching up the game.

What Repatomonor said rings true. Everything is as it should be atm and I for one don't mind the expansion/dlc plans given they are mostly graphic in nature. What Egosoft said earlier is indeed valid and not wrong.

I agree we need to be vigilant against bs in the gaming industry... Buuut, that just simply is not the case here. I am 100% behind Egosoft on this one lol (Keep up the good work! :D)
I dedicate in order to question,
universalizing fearlessness,
I seal the output of intelligence,
with the crystal tone of cooperation,
I am guided by the power of elegance.

EmperorDragon
x4

Post by EmperorDragon » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 16:03

zazie wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 11:25
"Veni, vidi - et je ne crois pas mes yeux" [roughly "I came, saw and cannot believe what I see" - Quotation of Julius Caesar in one of the "Asterix"-stories]
Asterix in Britain it was!
Jase555 wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 12:36
I play elite dangerous in solo. Just me and the NPCs. Although I did have 2018 off waiting for content.
Cool! I may have to revisit it. Was looking forward to a new Elite but it used to require a permanent internet connection so I skipped it. I don't like games being dependent on third party services unnecessarily without a reduced price to reflect that, unless the dev is willing to pay the internet bill of course.
Titan2k4 wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 15:09
Why did it feel so much different to pilot a Buster or a Nova? Not only did you have an actual useful turret in the back in the Nova - but you had different weapon choices. Different Missile Choices.
Fewer turret types, yes (I miss my flak!). But there's still plenty of missiles to choose from in X4, only difference is that you have to install missile launchers now. In X3 Reunion, any ship could launch any missile directly from inventory. I prefer the new way, it makes a torpedo bomber feel like an actual, dedicated torpedo bomber and not just another Centaur with missiles in the cargo hold. Missiles seems to be all nuclear-tipped in X4 though...
“To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature - could one dream of anything more?” - Yuri Gagarin

consiefe

Post by consiefe » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 16:20

EmperorDragon wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 16:03

Fewer turret types, yes (I miss my flak!). But there's still plenty of missiles to choose from in X4, only difference is that you have to install missile launchers now. In X3 Reunion, any ship could launch any missile directly from inventory. I prefer the new way, it makes a torpedo bomber feel like an actual, dedicated torpedo bomber and not just another Centaur with missiles in the cargo hold. Missiles seems to be all nuclear-tipped in X4 though...
And the dedicated bombers of X4 don't have more dedication for bombing than frigates or corvettes. No quadruple tubes, no bigger capacity...

Misenna

Post by Misenna » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 17:03

Having promised not to return, to stop reading community discussions about the game, not following any updates about the current stage of development, it just did not work. Old habits die hard, and this is true.

Egosoft clearly said they were going to release DLC and how many there will be. This is still a mistake in this person's book. People keep asking/begging/demanding fixes, additional content for their base game. Yet they will get additional content by way of DLC they have to pay for.

Give away DLC to those who pre-ordered the game and those who bought the $~80 version for free. It would also be sensible to offer DLC to those who bought the normal version for a very low price. Which could mean as low as $10 or something. Of course this 'offer' - for lack of a better word, should only be applicable for those who bought their version before February, 1st. Or to narrow it down say until December 31st.

Doing this would defuse this situation. It would also be sure sign that Egosoft is showing heart for their customers and loyal supporters of many years. It is still possible to have some new customers who keep waiting to have them buy the DLC for $30 or CE containing them already.

This person would still wait another year for it to become would it could have, or taking the $80 price for the highest version available into account should have been, when this game was released. Another thing they promised themselves not to do ... But again, old habits die hard ...

furirkeeper
x4

Post by furirkeeper » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 17:45

Personally I pre-ordered the Collectors edition and will most likely buy all DLCs as long as they contain real content that make the game better.
I had hopes that the release version would have been more playable than what it was, 1.0 was more like a test version. Sure I spent some days exploring the universe and doing some trading.
For now I have stopped playing the game until some feature is implemented that make combat motivated or rewarding, now there really is no motivation to attack anyone and I have never had to defend myself from anything substantial either.

I have hopes that X4 will get there eventually.
And to all of you who think the game should have been at a pre-release discount or expect free DLCs. I am also a little frustrated, but we live in the real world and for Egosoft to continue to make X-games they need money.
And as long as not more companies make games like this, then we don't have much choice.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 18:24

furirkeeper wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 17:45
Personally I pre-ordered the Collectors edition and will most likely buy all DLCs as long as they contain real content that make the game better.
I had hopes that the release version would have been more playable than what it was, 1.0 was more like a test version. Sure I spent some days exploring the universe and doing some trading.
For now I have stopped playing the game until some feature is implemented that make combat motivated or rewarding, now there really is no motivation to attack anyone and I have never had to defend myself from anything substantial either.

I have hopes that X4 will get there eventually.
And to all of you who think the game should have been at a pre-release discount or expect free DLCs. I am also a little frustrated, but we live in the real world and for Egosoft to continue to make X-games they need money.
And as long as not more companies make games like this, then we don't have much choice.
you get first 2 DLCs for free with collectors edition
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Bozz11
x4

Post by Bozz11 » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 18:51

I'm talking a lot of shit about EGO and x4"s current state but I'll still buy all the DLCs when they release :gruebel: :mrgreen:
I still hope they fix and improve the game !

Return to “X4: Foundations”