DLC? Are You Kidding Me? CONTENT PATCHES!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RMSe17
x4

Re: DLC? Are You Kidding Me? CONTENT PATCHES!

Post by RMSe17 » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 16:10

I am playing X-BTF at the moment, so it will take some time to get to X4 (still got X-T, X2, X3TC (I beat X3R), X3AP, XR). I did buy all of them though, including X4 - I like these games, and you need $$ to develop!

So, when DLC is announced, I will buy, I plan to play it eventually!

(Though I do prefer Independence War 2 EoC flight model :wink: :) I think most people don't )

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 16:13

RMSe17 wrote:
Mon, 11. Feb 19, 16:10
I am playing X-BTF at the moment, so it will take some time to get to X4 (still got X-T, X2, X3TC (I beat X3R), X3AP, XR). I did buy all of them though, including X4 - I like these games, and you need $$ to develop!

So, when DLC is announced, I will buy, I plan to play it eventually!

(Though I do prefer Independence War 2 EoC flight model :wink: :) I think most people don't )
probably after 3.0 patch i bet summer June July probably :roll:

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 16:38

Graaf wrote:
Mon, 11. Feb 19, 07:57
But both the Split and the Boron are base X-game content. Why should we pay additional money for that? Sure, they are selling what we want, but we do not want to buy basic content.

Or is the next notification going to be a name change: EAgosoft.

WHY do people keep saying that full Split and Boron factions are base game content!!!

Take a look at X:rebirth.

Paranid? Busy being somewhere else.
Boron? Busy being somewhere else.
Split? Most of them being busy somewhere else. A few NPCs and like 2 ships or something like it.
Teladi? Mostly appearing in a DLC.

BASE game content would by this logic be....Humans.

Sure money played a role here (as in, there wasn't enough o fit) but they DID explain it based on lore as well. Just because YOU FEEL that EVERYTHING AND MORE that was in X3: Reunion (You cannot count the others as there is a lot of community made stuff in there) should be in X4, does not mean that has to be the case. You can voice your OPINION that you'd have LIKED all of the formerly known factions to be in the base game...but there is no such thing as mandatory faction amount.
The BASE game IS: Fight, Trade, Build, Think.

THAT is the baseline...and it's there.

If they removed the fighting and made that a DLC...then I'd be pissed as this is a part of what actually defines X.
But factions? Factions have come and gone through all of the X games.
All these familes/industry factions of X:Rebirth no longer seem to be a thing.
The Yaki are also LONG gone.
The Goner are no longer relevant.
Even the CLASSIC Pirates have changed into more specific subfactions.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 17:35

Shehriazad wrote:
Mon, 11. Feb 19, 16:38
Now that you mention it, Terrans are also missing.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 17:40

Graaf wrote:
Mon, 11. Feb 19, 17:35
Shehriazad wrote:
Looking at those two inactive gates in Heretic's End...with anticipation.

Matterom
x4

Post by Matterom » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 17:58

The goner were in XR actually.
My Mods:
Sector Administration: A Tax Mod

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 19:47

Graaf wrote:
Shehriazad wrote:
that will come in next dlc 2020-2021 maybe

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 21:07

Graaf wrote:
Mon, 11. Feb 19, 07:57
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
Mon, 11. Feb 19, 07:27
Content development costs money, and Egosoft is not a charity it is a business and if that business is to continue supporting the product (X4) then it needs to sell stuff so they can continue to exist - that means making and releasing DLC/paid-for-expansions for the current product. The level of content they have released with the base game of X4 is not unreasonable and they are releasing new content (v. Release) for free over (at least) the next few updates - you only need to look at the roadmap they have outlined to see that.

I know some are not happy with the number of sectors and/or the number/variety of ships but the level of variety we do have is not unreasonable given the fact Egosoft have changed the mechanics in general so much that using the "but X3..." or "But X-Rebirth..." argument becomes on the most part invalid. When people talk about X3, they seem to forget that there were 3 products called X3 and tend to use the ones that includes ALOT of community generated content as the yardstick for their expectations.
But both the Split and the Boron are base X-game content.
Not really, Egosoft define what is "base X-game content" for a given edition of an X-game, not the community. :roll:
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 22:42

Thecrippler wrote:
Mon, 11. Feb 19, 19:47
Graaf wrote:
Shehriazad wrote:
that will come in next dlc 2020-2021 maybe
Not actually unlikely.

If the game ends up being profitable for years to come (Good continued sales, DLC sales, etc.) then we will likely get at least one more big DLC after the 2 promised for 2019. (This is just guesstimation here mates :!: )

My guess would be Split/Boron 2019, Terran/Some new Pirates/Sohnen stuff 2020.

RaifalM3n
x4

Post by RaifalM3n » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 00:13

If i remember corectly Egosoft patched X3 some time ago... how many companies would do that for older games? this means they do care. And Egosoft listens to us , the players.... we got BETTY BACK. :D

I'm 29' and i remember in the 2000's playing demo games i got from pc magazines... back then games had DLCS , on CD's.... and my generation love d it. Waiting for a patch meant waiting for a CD . internet sucked back then.

CBJ continue doing this great game :)
BMW Fanatic with Terran atitude.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 00:44

RaifalM3n wrote:
Tue, 12. Feb 19, 00:13
I'm 29' and i remember in the 2000's playing demo games i got from pc magazines... back then games had DLCS , on CD's
Back then they were called expansions - DLC is a catch all term to cover a wide variety of different downloadable content.

Some of it may be relatively trivial, others a bit more involved. The price relative to the level of content starts high (low VFM) and gets smaller (higher VFM) as the price of said content increases typically. Of course, there are some exceptions to this general rule of thumb but that is besides the point.

What Egosoft are referring to as DLC (c/f the Collectors Edition) would appear to be at the significant Expansion end of the spectrum (c/f Home of Light for X-Rebirth) rather than the low-VFM end of premium cosmetic content (and typically optional consumables).

Whenever the topic of DLC comes up, people typically harp on and complain about the low-VFM type content and seem to forget that the term also applies to expansions in this era of digital delivery mechanisms.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 19:32

I was about to say the same ting :) All this comparison x3 x4 make no sense :?

Err, what else would you compare with? An egg! a banana!

X3 then x4, logical to compare the two !

Cadvan
x4

Post by Cadvan » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 20:43

You can compare X4 with X Rebirth, because Rebirth is X4's direct predecessor.

And Rebirth was originally planned as not part of the X-Universe. X-universe should have ended with X3. but during the development of Rebirth it came clear that it had to much in commonc to not get called a X-Game.
So even X4 shouldn't have been part of X-Universe originally planned.

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 22:01

Cadvan wrote:
Tue, 12. Feb 19, 20:43
You can compare X4 with X Rebirth, because Rebirth is X4's direct predecessor.

And Rebirth was originally planned as not part of the X-Universe. X-universe should have ended with X3. but during the development of Rebirth it came clear that it had to much in commonc to not get called a X-Game.
So even X4 shouldn't have been part of X-Universe originally planned.
Unless you show me some proof that Egosoft had PLANNED to end X with X3 I will consider your statement as an opinion/guess.

Egosoft only has one proper "main" IP...and that is X. Sure they could have tried to make new IPs...but making a space combat/trade game under a different IP is too nonsensical.

If anything they either wanted to go back to X1 again (1 ship, large focus on a story, simplified) or they wanted to make an X spinoff.

Cadvan
x4

Post by Cadvan » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 22:17

Ist eher Egosoft sais eben the announced "TNBT" - later known as Rebirth.
Ist Not my guess

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 22:24

Once again, what does any of this game/engine comparison validity argument have to do with a 'paid DLC versus free content update' topic?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 23:25

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 12. Feb 19, 22:24
Once again, what does any of this game/engine comparison validity argument have to do with a 'paid DLC versus free content update' topic?
The engine comparison has nothing to do with it but people try to defend the lack of content due to the new engine.

Game comparison is valid because we appear to be getting the missing content from previous games EA-style.

Helmut_AUT

Post by Helmut_AUT » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 23:39

Graaf wrote:
Tue, 12. Feb 19, 23:25
Game comparison is valid because we appear to be getting the missing content from previous games EA-style.
I'm still amazed that people expect the same amount of content from a 2011 game in 2019. Nowhere in the games industry is this currently happening, but somehow Egosoft is expected to raise both the quality of the GFX/Gameplay/Assets/Features AND deliver the same amount of content.

Sorry guys, you are fighting reality.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 00:25

Graaf wrote:
Tue, 12. Feb 19, 23:25
Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 12. Feb 19, 22:24
The engine comparison has nothing to do with it but people try to defend the lack of content due to the new engine.

LOL comparing Egosoft to EA, they called Battlefront a Flop when it bagged over 7 million sales and made them a ton of money.
EA is a AAA Game Publisher with near endless resources to make an awesome game, but chooses not to because their main profit incentive and resources are driven towards their Gambling mechanics.
Why Every new Fifa Game barely has any new features, a lick of paint and updated team sheets; all the resources go towards their lootbox features.

Can't even begin to explain to you that comparing Egosoft to EA is an error of Donald Trump proportions.

First there is the fact Egosoft have stated countless times that the X3 Engine or BTF Engine (That had an X Rebirth style one ship btw.) was "over-bloated with features and was no longer viable for further expansions"; even if they wanted to, they could not make another X3 Expansion. So stop wasting your breath! It's getting old and boring.

Only option available to them was a new engine with up-to-date software, drivers, renderers etc; this takes time that not even angry pubescent teens can rant into reality.
Really is the case that "Patients is a virtue"; cause you ain't got no alternative other than rant.

Sadly, when you create something from scratch most the assets from previous games can't be transferred over to the new engine, they're effectively 'obsolete' So EVERYTHING has to be redone.. That you come off as genuinely 'Shocked" that X:Rebirth didn't come off as the X3 clone you had hoped is adorable!

If I had the choice between X:BTF or Rebirth, i'd choose Rebirth.
Both are the first creations of their engines, Rebirth was allot more chocked with features, but it was never going to catch up with X3. It's pointless to argue with you that Egosoft could make X:4 (A much larger game in a new decade where things are more expensive) In a competitive Space Sim Market to your unreasonable demands.
Egosoft are doing their best, "Patients is a virtue".
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 7.0 Beta
--------------------------------

TBA :)

AngEviL
x3ap

Post by AngEviL » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 02:27

I realized that I have too little fun in X4 to keep playing, it's some major things added up, it's not the bugs or balancing, but things that I don't see being fixed. I find most ships in the game ugly and cartoony, and also stations exterior and interior bland, it ruins it for me to dock with my ugly ship at the ugly station, and meet some ugly NPC. The economy feels wrong, things get produced in too large quantities for a start, i had a lot more fun trading energy cless in my starter ship in X3 even in 1.0.

I liked how M3s had turrets in X3, and how large ships didn't have blind spots in their turret coverage. The larger ships are too manuevrable imho, ships have few differences, combined with the removal of weapon and shield generator from X3. I did think of doing a complete overhaul mod regarding reducing capital speed and manuevrability, but thing is that with their blindspots i wouldn't want to nerf them, and this also leads to sector size. I find sectors too large and boring for my taste, takes too long to travel in a slow ship imho, and I also dislike highways and how it is optimal to place stations close to them. Also the races are too close to each other, too few sectors for each race.

I get it that some things would improve in a way, like adding more sectors with each expansion, like Boron sectors, Split sectors, but that would not change the fact that they are still as close with very few border sectors. And the crap ship designs for Argon and Teladi would remain, even if Split and Boron would be better, which i doubt as it is the same art direction. It's just that for me personally, the combination of all that i wrote above, plus some other smaller that i did not mention regarding core gameplay like the way boost works as an example or the game having tedious rpg elements, that don't make the game fun enough to play for a longer period.
Last edited by AngEviL on Wed, 13. Feb 19, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “X4: Foundations”