Promotional Posters (and presentation soundtracks)?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 17:10

A note on creating custom posters:

In the US, one can take a suitable, uncompressed, image and take it to a "Kinkos" or similar sort of office supply/services store. They will print it out on a large-format color plotter. It's a good idea to check what their color capabilities are, first, however. They usually have decent commercial equipment just short of a good print shop.

Print shops will sometimes do "one offs" of professional grade quality. BUT, you better have a professional grade file to give them. Don't give them a crappy .jpg to work with, else you'll get a crappy poster. Illustrator, Photoshop, Corel, and certain other formats are the order of the day, here, for the best quality. They'll tweak it, in-house, and depending upon how nice they are or how much money you have, they'll work with you on approving the final print and may even go through a sample or two.

PS - DPI - It's always best to use file formats that allow for dynamic resolution and tweaking. Image formats aren't good for this, btw. If one decides to use something like a jpg, then it needs to be huge and at the resolution it's going to be printed. A 3'x5' poster is going to look like crap even if it's generated by a "wallpaper" image. DPI matters a great deal, here, and 75 DPI may be standard display image resolution, but the plotter won't be able to compensate to 150 or 300 dpi if it's not a dynamic filetype and is just a simple image format. (JPG, etc )

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 17:22

Well as a graphics designer I can tell you that the format of the file is rather irrelevant. If the file you got is crap, there is little you can do. Unlike with CSI where they can take a reflection in a retina of a dude in a photo taken with a cheap digital hand-held camera and blow it up in 4k screens by pressing a few random keys on a keyboard, in real life a low res image is going to get you a low res poster, professional equipment or not (I work in print industry over 25 years).

/rant

So best to wait for a original and preferably low or uncompressed file. also Corel* and Illustrator are vector based programs, not image editing ones, like photoshop, gimp or other program that shall not be named and should have been discontinued already. :roll:

Maybe CBJ was caught looking to much onto it. As they say if you look too much into the abyss...

MFG

Ketraar

* yes there is photo-p*** but as the name sugest its crap like its name sake.

neobusy
x4

Post by neobusy » Sat, 30. Sep 17, 13:23

I have been able to recreate the poster with the help of this online upscaler http://waifu2x.udp.jp/ (made for japanese anime images, but works very nice with other stuff to upscale and remove artifacts). I made a few small changes to my version of the poster, the aspect ratio might be off but you can just increase the black workspace around it.

Upscaled clean image: http://www.mollylovescake.org/temp/X4_Poster.png

Upscaled poster (composed from different images): http://www.mollylovescake.org/temp/X4_Poster_final.png

Cheers!

mr.WHO
x4

Can we have 2nd Stream music upload?

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 30. Sep 17, 14:34

Hey Egosoft,
Would it be possible to make an Youtube upload of the background music used in the second stream? I think there was two tracks:
- one that played through almost entire presentation
- one that played at last minute of the presentation

BTW both of them are very good and brings the same chills as X1/X2/X3 soundtrack.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 30. Sep 17, 17:37

Ketraar wrote:...So best to wait for a original and preferably low or uncompressed file. also Corel* and Illustrator are vector based programs, not image editing ones, like photoshop, gimp or other program that shall not be named and should have been discontinued already. :roll: ..
I've mostly partnered with print shops for vector-based art and text printing. (Manuals, technical catalogs, etc.) I've done a little bit of partnering with photo-quality print for commercial literature, marketing stuff, color catalogs and the like, but that was using high-quality commercial image stock.

And, all that was before such things were widely available on the internet. When not produced ourselves, our stock images came on disks. :)

But, the point is that it is possible for someone to get a poster printed, these days. Back when I might have had a commercial need for a small run of large-format, poster-size print, like for a trade-show or something, I think the cost was something like $30 or so, USD. I don't remember the color count, etc, but the quality for what I'd use it for was good.

I used Corel because, at the time, it was a powerful suite and a widely accepted format.
neobusy wrote:I have been able to recreate the poster ..
Very nice!

ADMNtek
x4

Post by ADMNtek » Sun, 1. Oct 17, 00:53

neobusy wrote:I have been able to recreate the poster with the help of this online upscaler http://waifu2x.udp.jp/ (made for japanese anime images, but works very nice with other stuff to upscale and remove artifacts). I made a few small changes to my version of the poster, the aspect ratio might be off but you can just increase the black workspace around it.

Upscaled clean image: http://www.mollylovescake.org/temp/X4_Poster.png

Upscaled poster (composed from different images): http://www.mollylovescake.org/temp/X4_Poster_final.png

Cheers!
thank you. but i am woried that they use "Deep Convolutional Neural Networks" sounds like xenon to me.

did a little check in Germany a 60x90cm laminated poster would be 32€ including shipping.

Return to “X4: Foundations”