The good old days

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Requiemfang
x4

Re: The good old days

Post by Requiemfang » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 05:17

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 22:09
repatomonor wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 20:19
X Rebirth nailed the capital ship battles in terms of weight, not so much on other fronts though. If those giant turrets with those fancy effects would make a comeback, X4 capship battles would be quite impressive.
JET beams of death weren't fun on Funmekron and Olmekron, but Taranis was perfectly balanced capitalship (only 2 JET, but also light turrets and swarm missile launcher).
This is why I always kept the remote control torpedo on the Skunk, once I knew where those turrets were located on the hull I got to distance and fired the remote control torpedo's, Those Jet Beams even in a modded game with more shield and hull values would WRECK you if you were hit and it only took a few shots of the beam for you to go boom.

Boy I really need to jump back into X3 at some point.

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 09:12

Karvat wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 18:14
In x3 the destroyers were too strong, in x4 they are too weak, the ideal would be a middle ground. But as for the weapons they use, in x3 they were much more fascinating. in x4 the main cannons of a destroyer don't even look like weapons.
Those things are HUGE!
They have to have tremendous firepower or the whole thing of building such ships would be utterly pointless.
Have fun: Gala Do.

R_tp
x4

Post by R_tp » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 09:21

Heh, i still remember the first time i ve encountered argon one in x2, and than later scouring the universe for ppc's to equip one once i got it. Also argon mamoth was way prettier than what ever the X4 version is

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 10:28

R_tp wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 09:21
Also argon mamoth was way prettier than what ever the X4 version is
That's probably helped by 'only' needing to look good in X2/X3 as they auto-magic stations into existence. Whereas in XR/X4 the builder ships deploy on-site and use drones to visually construct the stations, which takes artistic time too. Different people will probably prefer different artistic focuses.

Edit - fixed typo (X3 --> X2)

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 10:39

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 10:28
R_tp wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 09:21
Also argon mamoth was way prettier than what ever the X4 version is
That's probably helped by 'only' needing to look good in X3/X3 as they auto-magic stations into existence. Whereas in XR/X4 the builder ships deploy on-site and use drones to visually construct the stations, which takes artistic time too. Different people will probably prefer different artistic focuses.

And there's the thing. X4 has a mass of new elements, and many of them could be considered underdeveloped at the minute. But Egosoft's resources are still being deployed, and will be for years ahead, to both improve the artistic appeal and increase functionality. - To do so will require an income stream, and I bought x4 knowing full well it'd be a while to have all the new concepts fully working and visually appealing.

But it's fine for people to be right proper grumpy about it too! :P
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 11:03

Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 10:39
And there's the thing. X4 has a mass of new elements, and many of them could be considered underdeveloped at the minute.
Many of them are completely unnecessary or given too high of a priority. They obviously kept Egosoft from the important bits.
That "visually building a station" thing is a good example. Nice to see once but do you really care as long as your trader providing for that station afterwards is dumb as a brick?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 12:47

Ghalador wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 11:03
Gavrushka wrote:
And there's the thing. X4 has a mass of new elements, and many of them could be considered underdeveloped at the minute.
Many of them are completely unnecessary or given too high of a priority. They obviously kept Egosoft from the important bits.
That "visually building a station" thing is a good example. Nice to see once but do you really care as long as your trader providing for that station afterwards is dumb as a brick?
And there's the dilemma. - Immersivity for me is dependent on the things you deem completely unnecessary. - We all have our own idea of what makes the sandbox, and that can be conceptually at odds with every other player. Egosoft did what they did, and now we're all trying to promote our personal agenda on how it can be improved. Nothing wrong with that, but the issues come when we conclude we're the only ones with the right solution, and lambast others for thinking otherwise.

I don't doubt they're listening and doing what they think is best overall, but that's unlikely to pacify the more vocal amongst their user base.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 13:21

Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 12:47
Ghalador wrote:
Gavrushka wrote:
And there's the dilemma. - Immersivity for me is dependent on the things you deem completely unnecessary. - We all have our own idea of what makes the sandbox, and that can be conceptually at odds with every other player. Egosoft did what they did, and now we're all trying to promote our personal agenda on how it can be improved. Nothing wrong with that, but the issues come when we conclude we're the only ones with the right solution, and lambast others for thinking otherwise.

I don't doubt they're listening and doing what they think is best overall, but that's unlikely to pacify the more vocal amongst their user base.
Not promoting a personal agenda here. I am just saying: If it is less good than X3 - where's the point?
In what aspect is it better? And no, it's not the immersion. That one goes to X2. Been watching ships flying through those unreal skies listening to the Horns of Boron for ... well, that must be days if you add all of it.
So, i like features pointed towards immersion too but i can't ... cherish them while all the utility shit around me is broken.
Feels like barbecuing sausages in the flames of your burning home.

BTW: Have they changed their composer or did the guy just get too old by now? It feels like he lost his edge compared to the previous soundtracks.
Last edited by Ghalador on Tue, 8. Jan 19, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 13:25

I never saw the need for station walking.However what they have implemented is pretty basic.I feel they failed to provide decent station side experience.Its generic ,reminds me of a standard mmo hub area minus the other players.In short dull.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 14:01

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 10:28
That's probably helped by 'only' needing to look good in X2/X3 as they auto-magic stations into existence. Whereas in XR/X4 the builder ships deploy on-site and use drones to visually construct the stations, which takes artistic time too. Different people will probably prefer different artistic focuses.
Gavrushka wrote:
And there's the dilemma. - Immersivity for me is dependent on the things you deem completely unnecessary. - We all have our own idea of what makes the sandbox, and that can be conceptually at odds with every other player.
Ghalador wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 13:21
I am just saying: If it is less good than X3 - where's the point?
In what aspect is it better? And no, it's not the immersion. That one goes to X2.
"If" is the important word here though. For some people the answer won't be "yes".

moor2

Post by moor2 » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 14:37

Ghalador wrote:
BTW: Have they changed their composer or did the guy just get too old by now? It feels like he lost his edge compared to the previous soundtracks.
Alexei Zakharov still does OST for the game..
he did for XR too. But different tone and less and shorter tracks now.

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 15:14

moor2 wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 14:37
Ghalador wrote:
For crying out loud, give the dude a family pack of space weed and and let him have another go!
That's just lousy work compared to X2/X3!

YOU HEAR ME MAN?!? YOU'RE NUMBER ONE IMMERSIVE POWER; SO PUT YOUR BACK INTO IT!

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 18:45

Ghalador wrote:
Gavrushka wrote:
Ghalador wrote:

Not promoting a personal agenda here. I am just saying: If it is less good than X3 - where's the point?
In what aspect is it better? And no, it's not the immersion. That one goes to X2. Been watching ships flying through those unreal skies listening to the Horns of Boron for ... well, that must be days if you add all of it.
So, i like features pointed towards immersion too but i can't ... cherish them while all the utility shit around me is broken.
Feels like barbecuing sausages in the flames of your burning home.

you do know how personal music is? so what's would be good X4 music? heavy classical music or trance?.
I like Lou reed know how many don't? when he made his music

X3 is a ship simulator they try to surpass that with X4 simple and they will in time it have just much more potential and aspects that covers more then just ships.
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

Général Grievous
x4

Post by Général Grievous » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 19:52

abisha1980 wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 23:08
nah it was not all that good very unbalanced only way to play X3 was with a Springblossom fitted with Prototype Starburst Shockwave Cannon
basic the only way to play X3
No it wasn't. Try an M7 full of missiles. Funny and deadly. :)
Il vaut mieux mobiliser son intelligence sur des conneries plutot que de mobiliser sa connerie sur des choses intelligentes...

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 20:04

Ghalador wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 15:14
moor2 wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 14:37
Ghalador wrote:
For crying out loud, give the dude a family pack of space weed and and let him have another go!
That's just lousy work compared to X2/X3!

YOU HEAR ME MAN?!? YOU'RE NUMBER ONE IMMERSIVE POWER; SO PUT YOUR BACK INTO IT!
The f are you talking about? The music is still as good as it was. The only difference is that he had to compose tracks that would compensate the bigger universe/longer time spent flying in a single sector. Thus the tracks aren't as upbeat and "dense" as they used to be.

Furthermore, up until Rebirth, the games shared soundtracks from Alexei Zakharov, Thomas Egeskov Petersen, and a few tracks from Daniel Finney in X3TC.

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 20:22

Général Grievous wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 19:52
abisha1980 wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 23:08
nah it was not all that good very unbalanced only way to play X3 was with a Springblossom fitted with Prototype Starburst Shockwave Cannon
basic the only way to play X3
No it wasn't. Try an M7 full of missiles. Funny and deadly. :)
i never use consumables in any videogame that would include missiles
it makes you weak and addictive to consuming and bad for your wallet in general.
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 22:51

It's not as bad as you all think. Install "a ship mod", it brings three coolest destroyers from XR into X4, install "Tracer World" mod, equip ships with projectile weapons (bolt turrets) and you will have the same battles as in XR. Same ships, same fast projectiles... well, different explosions, but at least something. If you also want to fix ships, shields and armor, install the "Shield and Weapon Overhaul. Strong turrets. Balanced ships." mod and enjoy. If you miss ventures, install "Ventures" mod and forget about broken Vanilla, Venture mod provides a lot more fun then online broken Ventures.

Good mods for X4:

Ventures
7 January 2019, 9:55 pm
iforgotmysocks
Gameplay Effects and Changes
5 January 2019, 4:34 pm
View

XRrebirth - Texture expansion for X Rebirth Ships
7 January 2019, 9:16 pm
snackynak
Ship mods
7 January 2019, 10:42 pm
View

A ship mod
7 January 2019, 9:10 pm
jenny1234
Ship mods
6 January 2019, 3:13 am
View

SETA parts on vendors
7 January 2019, 9:02 pm
Spacecop42
20 December 2018, 2:05 pm
View

RecycleStations
7 January 2019, 9:01 pm
iforgotmysocks
8 December 2018, 9:14 am
View

Buildtime Reduction - Station Modules
7 January 2019, 8:43 pm
mjr121
Stations
26 December 2018, 7:22 pm
View

Shorter travel charge time for L and XL engines
7 January 2019, 8:34 pm
Spacecop42
11 December 2018, 2:53 am
View

X4 Legacy Music
7 January 2019, 8:25 pm
Winghelm
Audio
13 December 2018, 4:59 am
View

X4 No Dark Ambient
7 January 2019, 8:21 pm
Winghelm
Audio
9 December 2018, 4:31 pm
View

Collect Inventory Wares
7 January 2019, 8:07 pm
Tyrant597
25 December 2018, 8:13 pm
View

Faction-Battleships
7 January 2019, 8:02 pm
Insane26
Ship mods
26 December 2018, 8:36 am
View

Aggressive AI
7 January 2019, 7:57 pm
zombie042
7 January 2019, 12:42 am
View

Fly-by Looting
7 January 2019, 7:54 pm
TheAssailer
Miscellaneous
21 December 2018, 12:41 am
View

Employee Training
7 January 2019, 7:53 pm
Frekjan
3 January 2019, 1:00 pm
View

Fix Bail Logic
7 January 2019, 7:48 pm
kevrlet2
13 December 2018, 11:02 am
View

X4-Tracer-World
7 January 2019, 7:43 pm
rjtwins
Weapons
24 December 2018, 1:09 pm
View

Extended Radar Range
7 January 2019, 7:40 pm
Captain Radish
8 December 2018, 5:39 pm
View

Tradestation Economy Fix
7 January 2019, 7:37 pm
icedesign2000
23 December 2018, 8:35 am
View

TaterTrader
7 January 2019, 7:32 pm
ludsoe
Traders
3 January 2019, 5:04 pm
View

Blazing Playership Line

Improved Explore Command Behaviour
7 January 2019, 7:24 pm
MegaJohnny
22 December 2018, 6:47 am
View

Shield and Weapon Overhaul. Strong turrets. Balanced ships.
7 January 2019, 7:20 pm
AngEviL
28 December 2018, 12:08 pm
View

Sector Satellites
7 January 2019, 7:15 pm
iforgotmysocks
30 December 2018, 10:55 am
View

AutoTrader - Tater Trader is better
19 December 2018, 8:28 am
Euclid
17 December 2018, 4:30 pm
View

Improved Repair Laser
15 December 2018, 2:44 pm
iforgotmysocks
1 December 2018, 4:38 pm
View

Traders sell modification parts
15 December 2018, 12:27 pm
t12121970
Traders
8 December 2018, 11:11 am
View

Learning All The Things
15 December 2018, 12:26 pm
iforgotmysocks
12 December 2018, 4:00 pm
View

Signal Leak Hunter
15 December 2018, 12:20 pm
loktide
14 December 2018, 6:21 am
View

Extra Player Logos
15 December 2018, 12:18 pm
Muncha
Miscellaneous
5 January 2019, 3:40 am
View

CrystalFinder
15 December 2018, 12:15 pm
Shuruna
13 December 2018, 2:32 am
View

Unique Datavault Pings
15 December 2018, 12:11 pm
loktide
9 December 2018, 2:27 am
View

Spherical Long Range Scan
15 December 2018, 12:08 pm
Sladernimo
12 December 2018, 6:56 pm
View

Increased Long Range Scanner
15 December 2018, 12:04 pm
loktide
Graphics and Visuals
6 December 2018, 3:36 pm
View

Better Scan Colors
15 December 2018, 12:01 pm
FlynTie
Graphics and Visuals
6 December 2018, 6:24 pm
View

Better Turret System
15 December 2018, 11:51 am
JonesSkill
18 December 2018, 3:42 pm
View

Equipment upgrades without RNG
15 December 2018, 11:44 am
Laserzwei
13 December 2018, 10:51 am
View

Timed Autosave
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

Smacksim
x4

Post by Smacksim » Wed, 9. Jan 19, 00:07

Gavrushka wrote:
And there's the thing. X4 has a mass of new elements, and many of them could be considered underdeveloped at the minute. But Egosoft's resources are still being deployed, and will be for years ahead, to both improve the artistic appeal and increase functionality. - To do so will require an income stream, and I bought x4 knowing full well it'd be a while to have all the new concepts fully working and visually appealing.

But it's fine for people to be right proper grumpy about it too! :P
Well... exactly. I don't mind grumpy but I do admit I get frustrated with people overstating things. Things will get better and meanwhile download some mods. Supporting the game means accepting that there will always be room for improvement and thankfully that there will always be improvements on the way. Getting pissed about it is fine but it's far too early to draw conclusions about things in a permanent sort of way.

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Wed, 9. Jan 19, 10:04

repatomonor wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 20:04
The f are you talking about? The music is still as good as it was. The only difference is that he had to compose tracks that would compensate the bigger universe/longer time spent flying in a single sector. Thus the tracks aren't as upbeat and "dense" as they used to be.
Did you just say "The strawberry is as good as ever, it just has less taste"... ???

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Wed, 9. Jan 19, 21:39

Must be Lidl strawberries

Return to “X4: Foundations”