Oculus XRVR and Steam - compatability

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

helios
x4

Oculus XRVR and Steam - compatability

Post by helios » Sat, 29. Jul 17, 20:48

Hi,

Already bought it on Steam ... even though I own an Occulus Rift. I really don't like the fact that Oculus VR chose to establish their own 'closed' ecosystem.

Since however you already made a version of the game natively supporting to Oculus Runtime I really hope that you will put it on Steam as well, so that Oculus users buying on Steam also get the full functionality. ;)

Edit: Title adjusted - Sparky

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Post by Bernd » Sat, 29. Jul 17, 20:54

helios wrote:Hi,

Already bought it on Steam ... even though I own an Occulus Rift. I really don't like the fact that Oculus VR chose to establish their own 'closed' ecosystem.

Since however you already made a version of the game natively supporting to Oculus Runtime I really hope that you will put it on Steam as well, so that Oculus users buying on Steam also get the full functionality. ;)
Thanks for your support. Yes the plan is to provide both EXEs through Steam. Hope that will work...
---
-Bernd Lehahn, bernd@egosoft.com

loxrie
xr

Post by loxrie » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 01:43

Bernd wrote:
helios wrote:Hi,

Thanks for your support. Yes the plan is to provide both EXEs through Steam. Hope that will work...
Is there any timeline for this? I'd love to jump in now but, despite being an Oculus owner, I'd much rather buy my VR games on Steam.

To ask helios about your current experience, if I purchase it on Steam now but try to play using my Rift what happens? I assume Steam VR will be fine, in much the same way I can play Vanishing Realms OK?

Franc Kaos

Post by Franc Kaos » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 07:33

I couldn't wait, esp after berating you to hurry up for the last few months, so I bought the game via Oculus, but I sincerely hope that, like Elite Dangerous, if I ever need the Steam version that you guys would supply a code allowing me to do this.

One reason being, Steam allows you a choice of where to install your game, Oculus installs games where you installed Oculus, but some games would greatly benefit running from SSD...

big_bad_lynx

Post by big_bad_lynx » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 00:38

any word on the discount? being honest I really don't care where I do have the game as long it supports the touch.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 00:42

big_bad_lynx wrote:any word on the discount? being honest I really don't care where I do have the game as long it supports the touch.
Thanks for asking.

Following some Dev replies elsewhere, the XR VR FAQ has been updated with some info on this topic (see entry 5).

big_bad_lynx

Post by big_bad_lynx » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 14:16

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote: Thanks for asking.

Following some Dev replies elsewhere, the XR VR FAQ has been updated with some info on this topic (see entry 5).
being honest - my f5 button has worn out paint due to checking this thread every 5 minutes. I did send an email last week and someone (I'm not sure if i can reveal the name so I use "someone" word) replied that this week the situation will be bit more clear.
Thanks for the support and replies.

edit:
and thank you very much for adding this! all good to go. right now testing XRVR on steam

Bareus
x3tc

Post by Bareus » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 23:57

if buy this game on steam, will i have a choice between oculus/vive or will i download both exes?

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”