[4.20 release] [SUGGESTION] Fly-to-pointer, throttle position control

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tanall
x4

[4.20 release] [SUGGESTION] Fly-to-pointer, throttle position control

Post by Tanall » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 01:44

A couple of suggestions having tried out the early access:

1 - Fly-to-pointer. The trackpad works ok for pitch and yaw, but seems clunky to me. Seeing as the pointer isn't being for much outside of picking targets and UI elements, maybe give us the ability to use a pointer-chasing control mode?

2 - Throttle position control. Currently, you have to hold the trigger to maintain a given throttle setting, which will lead to some stiff fingers in the long run. How about giving us the option of the trigger and grip buttons being used to position the throttle slider. Cruise control in other words.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 08:34

For number 2, please could you check Flight (Basic) page of the XR VR User Manual to see if that helps?

https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... ser+Manual
Last edited by Sparky Sparkycorp on Thu, 3. Aug 17, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

reddog832

Post by reddog832 » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 12:00

I find that the throttle is either full on or off . For instance if approaching a station and I squeeze the trigger even only a little it powers right up and zoom. So I decelerate and it cuts right out and I stop. I realy need help with some of these controls and no I haven't played any of the X series before.

reddog832

Post by reddog832 » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 12:07

Scrap my previous post I think Ill manage . Does help if I read the manual. Thanx for helping me find it

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 12:09

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:For number 2, please could you check the "Accelerate / Decelerate" section of the Flight (Basic) page of the XR VR User Manual to see if that helps?

https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... ser+Manual
That is the behavior that I was describing where you need to hold the trigger to keep the ship at speed. What I'm suggesting is that the trigger and should instead move the slider up and down the scale, and leave it there when the controls are released.

These are just my suggestions having tried the hand controllers and, given what I've seen thus far, I'll likely just go back to HOTAS+pedals.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

reddog832

Post by reddog832 » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 12:12

Ah I understand now. I hope the HOTAS works I have a Thrustmaster Warthog would be nice if I could set it up

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 12:13

Thanks for the clarification - I had misunderstood.

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 12:15

reddog832 wrote:Ah I understand now. I hope the HOTAS works I have a Thrustmaster Warthog would be nice if I could set it up
It does. Just remember to go into the controller manager in XRVR's options and make sure all the controls you will be using are enabled there. Then start derping around with getting your button and axis bound.

I've yet to get everything set up the way I want, but I am finding that HMD sighting for the gun works nicely, while using the quick menu and interaction menu with a HOTAS setup seems to be literally impossible.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Re: [SUGGESTION] Fly-to-pointer, throttle position control

Post by j.harshaw » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 12:41

Salnas wrote:the option of the trigger and grip buttons being used to position the throttle slider.
Mapping trigger to "Accelerate" and grip to "Decelerate" (or the other way around) should do it.

Important to remember that these controls need buttons to work, NOT axes.

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 18:59

Apologies. Just realized that "Accelerate" and "Decelerate" as described in the manual are inconsistent with those controls as defined in the Controls submenu. Will update the manual.

To be clear:

pressing a button mapped to "Accelerate" will gradually increase your desired speed setting and will hold it at that setting when you release the button.

moving an axis mapped to "Throttle" will set the desired speed depending on how far down that axis you are as long as the input is given. If mapped to an axis that snaps back to zero when released (such as a throttle control that springs back or a gamepad trigger), the desired speed will also snap back to zero if the axis controller is released.

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Post by Bernd » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 20:03

Regarding throttle:

Sticky full throttle option
The new update (4.20 hotfix 1) adds an option which allows you to "tap throttle" quickly to get max speed setting instead of holding it.
If this setting is active, an analgue throttle button (like the trigger on the gamepad or the VR controller), can be tapped quickly to go to max speed without afterwards holding the button down. You can still regulate speed as normal and you can get back to 0 speed by holding the button for a longer moment and then release it.

This was added as a request from a user and anybody interested in controller setting experiments please try this out and let us know if it works for you.

To enable this setting you currently have to manually add the following to the config.xml file in documents/egosoft/XRVR/ folder:

<stickyfullthrottle>true</stickyfullthrottle>
---
-Bernd Lehahn, bernd@egosoft.com

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 21:23

Hi Salnas;

Regarding fly-to-pointer, please see the following thread about a change in today's hotfix update for your Vive controller:

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=395723

Any feedback would be welcome there.

Mavo Pi
x4

Post by Mavo Pi » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 09:17

Bernd wrote:Regarding throttle:

Sticky full throttle option
The new update (4.20 hotfix 1) adds an option which allows you to "tap throttle" quickly to get max speed setting instead of holding it.
If this setting is active, an analgue throttle button (like the trigger on the gamepad or the VR controller), can be tapped quickly to go to max speed without afterwards holding the button down. You can still regulate speed as normal and you can get back to 0 speed by holding the button for a longer moment and then release it.

This was added as a request from a user and anybody interested in controller setting experiments please try this out and let us know if it works for you.

To enable this setting you currently have to manually add the following to the config.xml file in documents/egosoft/XRVR/ folder:

<stickyfullthrottle>true</stickyfullthrottle>
Thx for implementing this Bernd. I tested it yesterday and it worked well for me. I would keep it an option though because some people might have problems with accidentally going full thrust.

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”