Steam Achievement: "Naughty developer, slap fingers!"

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

yoyolll

Post by yoyolll » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 22:59

Pharoah wrote:
yoyolll wrote:
Defektiv wrote:Just leave. Do you think your opinion about leaving is that valued or that people will respect you for not wanting to spend money until everyone else has worked out the problems?
Christ, people, have some respect. All this talk about how modders are gonna fix the game for us and this is how you treat them?
Actually, it talks about how disrespectful the community has gotten towards modders in general, essentially demanding them to fix broken features and such. This is why the OP went into such great detail in this aspect of his post. The community has come to expect modders to fix everything. The community has gained an extremely twisted sense of responsability, by letting Egosoft off easy about the bugs, yet expecting the modders to fix it.

He was saying that it's not the modders job's to fix the game, and it's sad that soo many of the community actually expect modders to do just that.
That had nothing to do with how rude defektiv's post was to someone that contributed so much to X3. Anyway, it's not my place to judge.
Intel Pentium II 233 Mhz
128 MB ram
i740 8 mb @ 220 Mhz
20gb HDD

Pharoah

Post by Pharoah » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:02

yoyolll wrote:
Pharoah wrote:
yoyolll wrote:
Defektiv wrote:Just leave. Do you think your opinion about leaving is that valued or that people will respect you for not wanting to spend money until everyone else has worked out the problems?
Christ, people, have some respect. All this talk about how modders are gonna fix the game for us and this is how you treat them?
Actually, it talks about how disrespectful the community has gotten towards modders in general, essentially demanding them to fix broken features and such. This is why the OP went into such great detail in this aspect of his post. The community has come to expect modders to fix everything. The community has gained an extremely twisted sense of responsability, by letting Egosoft off easy about the bugs, yet expecting the modders to fix it.

He was saying that it's not the modders job's to fix the game, and it's sad that soo many of the community actually expect modders to do just that.
That had nothing to do with how rude defektiv's post was to someone that contributed so much to X3. Anyway, it's not my place to judge.
Oh I completely agree, however, I just wanted you to be aware of what the actual message was, as you seemed to be unaware of it's actual intent.

piep
x4

Post by piep » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:03

good riddance. Next.

Pharoah

Post by Pharoah » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:05

piep wrote:good riddance. Next.
You do know he was an extremely valuable person in the X3 community right? Wrote guides etc? He has more merit in his pinky toe than you will ever have, show some respect for the people who help IMPROVE your gaming experience.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:11

Pharoah wrote: You do know he was an extremely valuable person in the X3 community right?
C'mon, who cares about some slug when there are such pieps out here? :grin: The community will get transformed, no doubt. [/sarcasm]

KarlHemmings
x4

Post by KarlHemmings » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:12

Skism wrote:*Holds up hand*
I care, and I am sorry to see him go.
I agree

NebulaSniffer
x3

Post by NebulaSniffer » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:15

I agree that bad behavior should not be condoned. I don't want EgoSoft to FAIL, per se, but they do need to make it up to us.

Selling product on false expectations is dirty practice. Does EgoSoft believe otherwise? If so, ultimately they will fail and this point will be moot.

Alternately, EgoSoft is laughing at its loyal fans because Rebirth was a chance to "dump and run", one last cash-in, like a golden parachute for an exec that drives his company into the ground. I have nothing but disdain for such an attitude, and I really HOPE that's not the case here.

So which is it? EgoSoft is patching their game, so I am inclined to believe they were in bad shape financially and their publisher pressured them to stick to their release deadline before they were ready. That's a likely scenario (one we should NOT reward the publisher for), and if that's the case I feel sorry for EgoSoft. It's a tough world out there, and sometimes financial realities keep people from doing what they know is RIGHT.

yoyolll

Post by yoyolll » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:25

NebulaSniffer wrote:I agree that bad behavior should not be condoned. I don't want EgoSoft to FAIL, per se, but they do need to make it up to us.

Selling product on false expectations is dirty practice. Does EgoSoft believe otherwise? If so, ultimately they will fail and this point will be moot.

Alternately, EgoSoft is laughing at its loyal fans because Rebirth was a chance to "dump and run", one last cash-in, like a golden parachute for an exec that drives his company into the ground. I have nothing but disdain for such an attitude, and I really HOPE that's not the case here.

So which is it? EgoSoft is patching their game, so I am inclined to believe they were in bad shape financially and their publisher pressured them to stick to their release deadline before they were ready. That's a likely scenario (one we should NOT reward the publisher for), and if that's the case I feel sorry for EgoSoft. It's a tough world out there, and sometimes financial realities keep people from doing what they know is RIGHT.
I feel bad perpetuating this argument over and over again, but I'm totally gonna do it anyway:
It's no excuse. It's a tough world out there for me too and I paid for a broken game. Their financial problems don't mean they are allowed to take me for a ride. And it wouldn't be nearly this bad if they gave refunds to the people who asked for them.
Intel Pentium II 233 Mhz
128 MB ram
i740 8 mb @ 220 Mhz
20gb HDD

Commander PJ
x3

Post by Commander PJ » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:28

Defektiv wrote:Why do people always feel the need to explain to a community that supports a game, in length, how they feel about getting a refund? I don't get it. Most of them even talk openly about buying the game again later when its on sale.

Just leave. Do you think your opinion about leaving is that valued or that people will respect you for not wanting to spend money until everyone else has worked out the problems?
Just wondering: do you two realise that Nuklear Slug is the primary reason Egosoft added the 'Dead is Dead' mode to the X3 games?

cbowsin

Re: Steam Achievement: "Naughty developer, slap fingers!"

Post by cbowsin » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:32

Divide Overflow wrote:
NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:The modding community should be adding to the game, tweaking the existing base install, adding their own flavour to things. They should not, nor should anyone at any time ever have had to raise the question of the modding community having any responsibility whatsoever around 'fixing' the game. Full stop.
QFT
I also agree with this, so please have the modders stop doing this and have them ignore the players requesting it.
AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz Quad-Core
Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit
24GB DDR3 SDRAM
Windows 8.1 x64

[Snipe] Bando
x3tc

Post by [Snipe] Bando » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:34

Good luck, Slug.

Really enjoyed your stories.
I came to these forums everyday to see if your squid lived for another day.
Thanks very much for that. And for the follow up stories after the squid died.
You were a class of its own.

Hope this game will develop into something worth telling about.

Bando

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:40

Llothlian wrote:You do realise they modders left after every game, right? Old ones left, new ones came, it's the natural order of things. It doesn't mean the world is ending...
Lucike left during TC:AP times.
Somehow the game continued. But it was a close thing! =P
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

bluenog143
x3tc

Re: Steam Achievement: "Naughty developer, slap fingers!"

Post by bluenog143 » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:42

NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:...
I agree with your post whole-heartedly. It's disgusting both how companies can get away with butchering the industry and the people's entitlement that volunteers should have to fix what's wrong with the game. Modding should be adding and tweaking to the modder's own tastes; not patching up a broken game.

But, I could go on and on. Goodbye bro.
SinisterDeath wrote:This reminds me of something...

"I don't believe in GoD, but GoD sure believes in blowing up my factories."
Dark_Ansem wrote:Seeing your creation in-game and working makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

piep
x4

Post by piep » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:46

Commander PJ wrote:
Defektiv wrote:Why do people always feel the need to explain to a community that supports a game, in length, how they feel about getting a refund? I don't get it. Most of them even talk openly about buying the game again later when its on sale.

Just leave. Do you think your opinion about leaving is that valued or that people will respect you for not wanting to spend money until everyone else has worked out the problems?
Just wondering: do you two realise that Nuklear Slug is the primary reason Egosoft added the 'Dead is Dead' mode to the X3 games?
He talking about rebirth is for me like any random user talking about rebirth. Credits where credits are due and I think nobody would deny he deserve them just like apricotslice and everyone else, but we are here in a different field.

Pharoah

Post by Pharoah » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 23:51

piep wrote:
Commander PJ wrote:

He talking about rebirth is for me like any random user talking about rebirth. Credits where credits are due and I think nobody would deny he deserve them just like apricotslice and everyone else, but we are here in a different field.
You obviously have no respect for anyone.

wizaerd
x4

Post by wizaerd » Thu, 5. Dec 13, 00:13

I do not believe Egosoft has ever said "it'll be fixed by modders", and I don't believe anybody has demanded that the modders to fix the game (outside of a few rude people no doubt). It's just a generalized hope that modders will step in because they've done so in the past. I for one do not expect modders to fix anything, but they're modders, so of course they'll fix things. it's what modders do, for every game that allows for modding (and some that don't), they fix stuff, they enhance stuff, the re-balance stuff. it's in their very nature to do these things.

The fact that members here "expect" it is again because of past history. Right or wrong makes no difference, if the modders don't want the responsibility, then they'll pass. I really don't think there's a single modder here with any real responsibility for fixing Rebirth. If they choose to attempt it, they do so of their own volition. And if they feel pressured to do so, then that's their own failing. They can choose to accept that responsibility or not.

So simply put, when people say modders will fix it, it's not a demand nor a given fact, it is a hope that they will because they have before...

Sibilantae
x3tc

Post by Sibilantae » Thu, 5. Dec 13, 00:45

Though I tend to like this game, I'm pretty disgusted by the people who blow off slug's commentary like this. The man is one of the most solid figures in the community.
(Oh no, you forgot to close the parenthesis! Someone might get in!

jambock1978

Post by jambock1978 » Thu, 5. Dec 13, 00:49

Pharoah wrote:
piep wrote:
Commander PJ wrote:

You obviously have no respect for anyone.
Welcome to the "rebirth" forum; Egosoft wanted a change and they achieved it. But not all the changes are for better. I never was active in the forums but i lurked it for a long time, especially in the mods forum. A shame that so much good people/modders are going away; but it's understandable.

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Thu, 5. Dec 13, 00:52

piep wrote: ... snipped ...
^ @ piep ... oh dear ... maybe a bit too quick off the mark for your own good? A different field you say eh? ... you are right. a different field alright, with lots of little weeds growing in said field methinks.

So defend XRebirth and till your field then, good for you. Let things grow, by all means. Let the weeds grow.

Just don't be so quick to dismiss people around here who have made real solid contributions the XSeries. It could make you look a bit silly.

The 'new fields' analogy does not excuse pathetic, over-eager, rudeness.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Thu, 5. Dec 13, 01:26

Quite frankly yes, Slug has participated in and done more for X game immersion than Yisha and the new cockpit will ever do. One of the pioneer's of the DiD style of game play and a huge contributor to the history that is X.

Poor analogy Gazz, Lucike still does stuff to enhance gaming enjoyment, just not on these forums, his CAG and Prospector scripts are still the epitome of awesome and essential for all Empire players of pre Rb X games. He is hardly unique in that regard, I don't use the S&M section here either, I haven't for years.

Is having some integrity really something that some posters feel necessary to belittle? He has exercised his statutory rights and I for one am in full agreement with his reasons. Just because I did not, doesn't mean I cannot respect his choice.

A year to the day Slug, take it easy. Enjoy gaming whatever you game. :)
Take it easy, If you can't - Take it by force.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”