Too scared to preorder

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mastro_akq

Too scared to preorder

Post by mastro_akq » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 17:09

Feel like I took a bad hit when I bought Rome2 for $70. I don't even play it. I cant afford another mistake purchase. Wife would be thoroughly upset with me if I got another game so soon that I wouldn't play very much.

jasonbarron
x4

Re: Too scared to preorder

Post by jasonbarron » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 17:15

mastro_akq wrote:Feel like I took a bad hit when I bought Rome2 for $70. I don't even play it. I cant afford another mistake purchase. Wife would be thoroughly upset with me if I got another game so soon that I wouldn't play very much.
I hear you there--I only get $150.00 a year for selfish luxury expenses, so I really have to make every dollar count. With that said, I did preorder XR, but i have a LOT of faith in the devs. My advice to you, since you're on the fence anyway, is to give it a week or two and see what users on these forums are saying about their experiences with the game.
Ayn Rand was correct.

Werkelijk
x4

Post by Werkelijk » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 17:16

There isn't a per-order bonus, so waiting for the game to come out and seeing others play it via videos and streams to get an idea of what you'd be getting shouldn't be an issue.

Erqco
x4

Post by Erqco » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 17:26

I am with you.... but at the same time the background of both companies..

One a few months after, move ahead and try to sell more and more DLC.
The other after 14 years still taking care of their games, with a big group of moders doing the games better and better over the time, for free.

I was lucky with Rome 2, I didn't buy it... because I did the same mistake with a previous game.
I feel confident about Egosoft's work, I think that the game will not fill the expectations of everyone, it will have bugs.... but it will be a great game that I will enjoy for months if not years.

Malankatank
x4

Post by Malankatank » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 17:29

I have faith in Rebirth, I did pre-order but I have been burned before. I love the Civ series and got Civ 5 right when it came out but that game was a joke. If for some strange reason Rebirth is unplayable at first or it flops, I bet you would never hear the end of it...
over thinking and over analyzing since '87

mastro_akq

Post by mastro_akq » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 17:31

I have never played an Egosoft game. I have hope they're a great developer though and this is going to be a great game. I want to press that preorder button so bad lol. BUT I have to refrain myself because it could be just wishful thinking.

Everything else aside, I am concerned the FPS part of the game is very minimal, or too basic. My ideal space game would have a very robust FPS mechanic, and exploration component.

7 years in development could be a sign they take a lot of pride in their games which is something I am looking for in a game developer. If this turns out to be a a great game though, I will certainly get it and be an Egosoft fan right away. I been waiting for a great space game since I was a little kid and first played a video game.

nielsw
x4

Re: Too scared to preorder

Post by nielsw » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 17:59

jasonbarron wrote:i have a LOT of faith in the devs.
Me too, actually..

but I have a lot less faith in whoever does the character modelling and animation at Egosoft... The gameplay videos I saw had positively awful looking characters.

Rather than mediocre attempts at matching the realism of modern game characters, I'd much prefer the cartoonish and funny characters from the very first game X Beyond the Frontier. Their quips were great, even outdid the humorous remarks from Starcraft.

My next issue is, that the best fun I had in X was always flying the smallest ships, like the Argon M5. (Discoverer)
Last edited by nielsw on Sat, 9. Nov 13, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

johncage

Post by johncage » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 18:01

the track records are a bit different. creative assemblies has a history of double dealing, failing to fix bugs, and reneging on promises about things like mod tools. my research into egosoft has yielded nothing negative like that, at least not to that degree. plus the positive traits of this company are inherently geared towards bug fixing long term support.
nielsw wrote:
jasonbarron wrote:i have a LOT of faith in the devs.
Me too, actually..

but I have a lot less faith in whoever does the character modelling and animation at Egosoft... The gameplay videos I saw had positively awful looking characters.

Rather than mediocre attempts at matching the realism of modern games, I'd prefer much the cartoonish and funny characters from the very first game X Beyond the Frontier. Their quips were great, even outdid the humorous remarks from Starcraft.

My next issue is, that the best fun I had in X was always flying the smallest ships, like the Argon M5. (Discoverer)
cartoon characters wouldn't fit the aesthetic they're going for. and the reason older games had "cartoon" characters was due to technological limitations. from what i can see, most modern games containing intentional cartoon characters are trying to compensate for substance with style.
Last edited by johncage on Sat, 9. Nov 13, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 18:04

If you can't accept the risk, don't preorder the game.

What do you really lose by waiting until after release to buy the game?
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

BinarySlave

Post by BinarySlave » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 18:05

A5PECT wrote:If you can't accept the risk, don't preorder the game.

What do you really lose by waiting until after release to buy the game?
Nothing, that's what he seems to be afraid of. ;)

nielsw
x4

Post by nielsw » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 18:11

mastro_akq wrote:I have never played an Egosoft game. I have hope they're a great developer though
They are.

They never stop at just fixing stuff, they give you tons of free additional content as time goes by.

Their modding tools are always great, and every once in a while, they create a game patch with all the really good mods that work without breaking the game.

Their graphics are usually top notch with one exception: they can't seem to get 'realistic' 3D NPC characters to look or move right. The reason for that is probably that they're just too small to have enough people and gear to do it right. Wish they'd find some far east outfit to outsource that part...

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 18:13

Malankatank wrote:If for some strange reason Rebirth is unplayable at first or it flops, I bet you would never hear the end of it...
You weren't around for X3's release were you? :lol:

I have no doubt X:R will be buggy as heck and have limited features. But we know Egosoft's track record and they'll keep on improving it.
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

nielsw
x4

Post by nielsw » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 18:20

johncage wrote:cartoon characters wouldn't fit the aesthetic they're going for. and the reason older games had "cartoon" characters was due to technological limitations. from what i can see, most modern games containing intentional cartoon characters are trying to compensate for substance with style.
You missed my point.

I agree that cartoon characters aren't fitting the aesthetic they're going for.

But if you can't do modern realistic right, it looks worse than just doing cartoonish.

I disagree that cartoons are only used to compensate for [lacking] substance with style. More like lacking funds or technical ability in that area, which is extremely expensive and time intensive. So I wouldn't poo poo a game with a great idea and concept that used cartoonish characters cause they don't have the money to do realistic ones.

While Style alone won't make a great game, it is still the best transport for substance.

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 19:09

I think if we can't have super-detailed realistic looking characters (and I guess we can't as it takes massive amount of effort to do) then cartoonish characters are good enough - we're after gameplay from the X series, not fancy graphics.

Of course, as we're after gameplay then I'd be more than happy with a text based interface to communicate with the NPCs, only 1 reason why you need to webcam with someone in this day and age and X isn't that kind of game :)

Billynomates
x4

Post by Billynomates » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 23:03

Don't have that problem with multi steams of income, we need to evolve people one job is old hat.

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 23:12

Billynomates wrote:Don't have that problem with multi steams of income, we need to evolve people one job is old hat.
What do you mean?
Ayn Rand was correct.

johncage

Post by johncage » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 23:28

i think games are a guilty pleasure to be indulged when others aren't around. my wife will never even know i pre-ordered anything. bad move there.

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 23:35

I've had every Egosoft X game since X-Beyond the Frontier on release date, or within a day or two, and I've played most of them without access to the patches that were available due to not having internet connection at the time. Early patches if needed were got from a friends. With regards to X-Rebirth my understanding is that theyve gone back to basics with all the new technology they are using so similar to when X-BtF came out, If i remeber right the expansion for that X-Pansion! introduced additional ships that the player could fly. So i suspect that whilst were currently in one ship, and certain other things upset different parts of the community, This is just the Framework for things to come.

On that note, I've Preordered the UK physical Collector's Edition, and I've also preordered the Steam Collector's Edition, which is roughly a total of £114 so far, once the game unlocks and i can play it, i will then make a decision as to whether my existing Graphics card is good enough or whether i need to upgrade that.

I have enough faith in Egosoft, that i have basically spent all the money i have managed to save this year( due to very limited income) on their products, because going by past history, I *personally* have never encountered any game breaking bugs, but have always been pleased at the level of support every game has received from Egosoft, and the amount of support the games get from Modders is phenomenal.

Egosoft are one of the few companies where i am willing to preorder a game as soon as i can afford it, and be safe in the knowledge that if there is an issue with the game it will be fixed as quickly as feasibly possible.

Legionnaire
Mobo MSI Z270 Gaming M3 CPU i5 7600K @4.2
RAM 16Gb Corsair Vengeance
2x 1TB (RAID 0)+ 4TB SSHD + 3TB HDD + 500GB SSD (Windows and X4 install Locatrion)
Windows 10 PRO
8GB MSI 1070Ti

mastro_akq

Post by mastro_akq » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 23:43

One has to appreciate the positive feedback about a game franchise and a favorite developer. I may go ahead and take the chance and preorder tonight or tomorrow. If so this will be my first experience with the Egosoft team.

I have high expectations in that the game is fun and replayable. I am already sold on the graphics and artwork. Just sometimes games miss the mark with the fun level and replayability factors.

I'm not very familiar with the economy/trading aspect in this type of game though. I would hope that it feels like I am building an empire to war with(or some persuasive goal?), and that its not too tedious.

leecarter
x3tc

Post by leecarter » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 23:43

I have to admit sitting on the fence here too. Not because I'm concerned about the money (spend more on a night out with the lady), I just don't want to deal with the frustration of waiting for patches if the launch is a total disaster.

I'm still 100% sure I'll be buy the game, but if I buy it on the 15th depends on what I see others saying about it that morning.

Like others have said, Egosoft *will* make it right eventually - you can count on it.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”