Unbiased Poll about The Pride of Albion vs multiple ships - Part II

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

What would you prefer?

I like the idea to fly only one kind of ship and be able to upgrade it.
38%
I like to be able to buy and fly any ships like the old days
62%

Total votes: 1452

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 18:41

xleto2 wrote: Wrong, just as wrong as saying there are N kinds of ships (or even N ships in total) in X3 because some carrier can carry N ships.
No, it is a different thing.
X3 carrier hangar is not tied to a quick access menu.
Also the playership is not "some carrier", it is unique ; its abilities and limits revolve completely around the player.
Yet you pretend there are N different drones, only because you've heard of N types of drones.
No. What I said is there are 8 slots for the radial menu (which is your quick access to VR). So there is likely 8 types of playership drones. If more exist, there would be types you could not access quickly ; this would be a major design flaw.
Anyway I think you missed the point, regardless of whether there'll be few or many drones, it's definitely more than a single ship as stated in the poll.
No, because drones are not ships in gaming terms, no matter what the general dictionnary say.

A drone can only do one task. A drone is a kind of ammo that need to be restocked. A drone needs a base to launch from, and can not get too far from it. etc
Right on commander !

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 20:59

Well I'm not sure why we're debating the potential number of drone types.

My take on it is that there could be as many as 16 different types, but you can only carry a certain number(looks like 8 ). So even if you have access to 10, 20, or 30 types, you will have to decide on either 8 different ones or a a combination where you carry several of one type.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

jestera
x4

Post by jestera » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 21:19

I voted that I prefer multiple ships like the Old X games... but 1 ship really isn't a deal breaker for me. To be honest after the first 10-20 or so hours of gameplay I rarely change ship anyway :P.

If it's one ship but OOS control and general fleet control is improved I am loving it.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 21:20

Geek wrote:A drone can only do one task. A drone is a kind of ammo that need to be restocked. A drone needs a base to launch from, and can not get too far from it. etc
Isn't that what a fighter is from a carrier or station's perspective? It shoots stuff, you need to keep replacing them, and they don't work so good if you leave them behind in another sector, especially if you're jumping.
Last edited by Chris0132 on Tue, 20. Aug 13, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

xleto2
x3

Post by xleto2 » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 21:49

Geek wrote:No
Drones aren't that different from regular ships from previous X games. They're only slightly more specialized. The torpedo drone can't be much different from an M8.

What Slashman said makes much more sense than your dreadful deductions. Turrets were limited to 8 slots too, does it mean there was only 8 guns in X3 ?

And what Bernd himself said remains true.
Bernd wrote:First of all there is the possibility to remotely control a drone. This is basically exactly like switching personally into another ship.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 22:19

jestera wrote:I voted that I prefer multiple ships like the Old X games... but 1 ship really isn't a deal breaker for me. To be honest after the first 10-20 or so hours of gameplay I rarely change ship anyway :P.

If it's one ship but OOS control and general fleet control is improved I am loving it.
I understand this perspective. And I agree that some people find a decent ship and decide that is the ship they want for their entire playthrough. No issues there.

My issue is what happens if I find that the SKunk isn't to my liking? I already hate the weird asymetrical look. So from the start I already have one strike against it. But what happens when I find I don't like the way it flys or the lack of turrets(not sure if we add them later), or whatever else I simply can't change?

If the Skunk turns out to be some folks' dream ship, what happens to those people who realize that they would rather fly something else for whatever reason?

That's why I'd much rather have at least 1 ship from each major faction to choose from. Each offering something different and attempting to cater to a wider range of tastes. Forget being able to fly everything...but only one thing is too far on the other end of the spectrum.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 22:24

Slashman wrote:My take on it is that there could be as many as 16 different types, but you can only carry a certain number(looks like 8 ).
This is not likely. Remember, drones counts as ship upgrades.
Bernd said you can package everything, so at least a drone of each type.
Turrets were limited to 8 slots too, does it mean there was only 8 guns in X3
But you could not fire individual guns with a hotkey, could you ? Then it is another bad comparison.
Right on commander !

Night Nord
x4

Post by Night Nord » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 22:29

Geek wrote: This is not likely. Remember, drones counts as ship upgrades.
Bernd clearly stated that drones are NOT upgrades and they are limited in count.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 22:34

Night Nord wrote:
Geek wrote: This is not likely. Remember, drones counts as ship upgrades.
Bernd clearly stated that drones are NOT upgrades and they are limited in count.
I do remember at least one statement where he implies that drones are upgrades. I'm not sure that they act like other upgrades though.

It was something along the lines of listing upgrade types for the Skunk, then at the end he goes: 'And most importantly drones.'

Night Nord
x4

Post by Night Nord » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 22:37

Slashman wrote: It was something along the lines of listing upgrade types for the Skunk, then at the end he goes: 'And most importantly drones.'
I do believe it was rather meant that drones are similar to upgrades as Skunk evolution/improvement (i.e. new drones available may make your ship stronger), but not in terms of particular mechanic. And it was clearly stated that you'll need to restock drones and maybe you'll be able to produce them yourself.

xleto2
x3

Post by xleto2 » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 23:21

Geek wrote:Bernd said you can package everything, so at least a drone of each type.
You mean that part of the interview ?
Question:
You can't fit all drones in your ship, right?

Bernd:
Clearly not.
I guess "clearly not", in gaming terms, means "yes you can"... Just like
Bernd wrote:This is basically exactly like switching personally into another ship.
means
Geek wrote:No it's different.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 23:31

Question:
You can't fit all drones in your ship, right?

Bernd:
Clearly not.
Read the whole paragraph. "All drones" includes capitals drones.
Bernd wrote:This is basically exactly like switching personally into another ship.
Yes, the process of transfering into a drone in Rebirth is exactly like the process of transfering into a ship.
This sentence does not mean at all "drones and ships are the same thing".
Right on commander !

xleto2
x3

Post by xleto2 » Wed, 21. Aug 13, 00:06

Geek wrote:Read the whole paragraph. "All drones" includes capitals drones.
Not at all. First he elaborates on the Skunk's weapon systems, including the drones ("And the third system just happen to be the drones. And they are even more varied. "), and when asked about packing them all, he clearly said no.

And then, when he's asked about drones used by capitals, he said "This is a completely different topic." He even insists that "Up to this point we have not spoken of Capital Ships, only about the Playership.".
Geek wrote:Yes, the process of transfering into a drone in Rebirth is exactly like te process of transfering into a ship.
This sentence does not mean at all "drones and ships are the same thing".
Don't be dishonest, and remember he also said you could still steer other ships :
But before you get upset and complain about the lack of freedom to steer other ships, WAIT... that's still possible. Its just packaged in a different way...
That's not the transferring process he's talking about, but the piloting.

Aragosnat
x4

Post by Aragosnat » Wed, 21. Aug 13, 01:02

The current talks reminds of will we be able to fly capital ships. "No. It is not fun to fly them."

With every one arguing about what is or is not fun to fly. Unfortunately. With what little they where allowed to tell us. Leaves a lot more questions unanswered and a lot of misinterpitations on what does.

It looks like we all need to wait and play the game to see how what works. Sadly that is around 3 months away.
Chain Maille Armor
Profitzz
May this spacefly bother you.
[ external image ]
TC: 32+ Squidie (Steam DiD) deaths and counting since around June 18, 2012.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Wed, 21. Aug 13, 03:09

xleto2 wrote: Not at all. First he elaborates on the Skunk's weapon systems, including the drones ("And the third system just happen to be the drones. And they are even more varied. "), and when asked about packing them all, he clearly said no.
Wrong. He says the player can not *fit* them all because of their size, which he confirms a few lines later.
There are other drones, all sorts of special drones, even those that can be controlled from the player ship. But these are not the same that the large capital ships use. This doesn’t work with that size.
Don't be dishonest
Go check a dictionnary. And drop the insults.
Switching into another = transfering != piloting
Right on commander !

Shalom_Don
x4

Post by Shalom_Don » Wed, 21. Aug 13, 03:34

@ egosoft

Sorry Guys i have canceld my pro orders of x rebirth. After i can't find any information that you will patch multiple ships in x Rebirth with an add on or such a thing.

If've waited a long time, was happy by your great work, but as i know that every player of x rebirth will only have on ship, ist is and will still over.

I will buy x rebirth in a few years becaouse it is x but thats all.

I'm sorry, it seems to be that im a dino / konservative player but with only one ship, i must switch to another coming up Space sim and wait for there start.

I'm still on a ergosoft fanboy i will play on all other x games but not rebirth with only one ship to drive, become 100 or more houres to see the same ship texture. it's a no go.

Geetrings and i hope, you (egosoft) will have success with this new x game.

Hope to buy the next game after x rebirth with multiple ship to fly.

xleto2
x3

Post by xleto2 » Wed, 21. Aug 13, 14:17

Geek wrote:Wrong. He says the player can not *fit* them all because of their size, which he confirms a few lines later.
So you ignore the part when Bernd said capital drones are a completely different topic and that he didn't talk about them up to that point.

Just like you disregard the dictionary when it says drones are ships, and you ignore Bernd again when he said you could still fly other ships using VR.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Wed, 21. Aug 13, 15:35

Up to this point, the only ships that are pilotable through VR are the drones launched from the playership as far as I know.

I don't see any information stating otherwise. If the drones aren't based on your ship, I don't think you can pilot them. If the ships are the size of the Skunk(corvette), then they will have a crew. I don't think they would appreciate you VRing into their control systems and driving for them.

foxtrot76

Post by foxtrot76 » Thu, 22. Aug 13, 22:57

I am very uneasy with the one-ship concept to the point that I am seriously considering to cancel my pre-order.

The variety of flying different ships is a major factor for me, it gives me satisfaction to be able to fly my brand new carrier/frigate/M0 into battle after having saved up for it with countless hours of gameplay. It allows me to adapt the game pace to my current mood and attention span.
Everything else looks great, but limiting me to one ship is a deal breaker for me.

I wish Egosoft all the best with their new game.

Ravenhurst

Post by Ravenhurst » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 00:13

foxtrot76 wrote:I am very uneasy with the one-ship concept to the point that I am seriously considering to cancel my pre-order.

The variety of flying different ships is a major factor for me, it gives me satisfaction to be able to fly my brand new carrier/frigate/M0 into battle after having saved up for it with countless hours of gameplay. It allows me to adapt the game pace to my current mood and attention span.
Everything else looks great, but limiting me to one ship is a deal breaker for me.

I wish Egosoft all the best with their new game.
so.. which feature would you sacrifice to get more ships instead?

The versatility of launching countless different drones?
The walking on stations and docking feature?

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”