What would you pay for a real X4?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nomenluni

Post by Nomenluni » Thu, 16. Jan 14, 14:39

I would pay nothing.

I will never pay for another Egosoft product again.

This year will be a good year for the space genre, I can't say the same for Egosoft.

khemeher

Post by khemeher » Thu, 16. Jan 14, 14:39

I still don't buy the whole, "This isn't X4" excuse. You can call it by any name you want, but it's X4. The plot is being continued from the place that Albion Prelude left off. The whole idea of AP was to pave the way for this game. You can't lead into a game from another game, and suddenly declare that it's not the same series. Sorry.

At the end of the day, "This isn't X4," is just EgoSoft's attempt to make excuses for poor decision making.

not2day

Post by not2day » Thu, 16. Jan 14, 18:17

$30 U.S. Dollars. Because whatever will be created will essentially be a DLC. And that's about the price of a DLC (on top of what you paid for the game).

But with all the expectations that "we" (the community) have for this game, I don't know how (and if) they can pull it off. This game seems so incomplete like it's missing something.

This like:
1- The ability to pilot other ships, to be able to walk around the interior of our own capital ships
2- The ability to do something at the space stations
3- Most importantly, the ability to trade with our own ships (within our fleet).

It's not going to be easy.

unknown1
x4

Post by unknown1 » Thu, 16. Jan 14, 18:57

Redundat quesion.

Even if I would be multi-bilionaire, i would pay 0 for a X4.

Encouraging them for such garbage games is not good.Sooner or later smething bad will happen.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: What would you pay for a real X4?

Post by Nanook » Thu, 16. Jan 14, 19:08

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
stevembrown wrote:What I want to know is this... What would you pay for a real X4 game in good working playable condition?
Please define what you mean by a real X4 game.
How about:

No minigames;

Ability to fly or personally control every ship in the games;

No minigames;

Similar but enhanced and expanded play mechanics as the previous games;

No minigames;

A game not designed around a console controller;

No minigames;

A universe that's been totally altered by the 'ancients' but still contains a multitude of different star systems and even more races than in X3.

And finally, no minigames. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 16. Jan 14, 19:09

@Nanook
You forgot to mention, no minigames, just saying. :P

MFG

Ketraar

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 16. Jan 14, 19:16

Darn! I guess I'll have to edit that in. :lol:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

TinkerToy
x4

Post by TinkerToy » Thu, 16. Jan 14, 19:42

If it gets good reviews and player scores, I'd pay normal price for it. But I'd never consider pre-ordering another ES game.

It's highly unlikely that Egosoft will ever make an "X4". Most probably they will quietly morph XR into something closer to what X4 would have been, all the while denying that they are doing so. But that will take years.

I still believe they are trying for a simplified mass-appeal game, using the X-game lore, and I believe that will be their focus for the next few years.

Trialbyfire

Post by Trialbyfire » Thu, 16. Jan 14, 20:15

TinkerToy wrote:I still believe they are trying for a simplified mass-appeal game, using the X-game lore, and I believe that will be their focus for the next few years.
I agree. This whole debacle was spurred by a legitimate and understandable interest in expanding their audience beyond the hard-core nerd X fan-base and I seriously doubt they are willing to put aside that intent.
A wise man once said...nothing. I'm not a wise man, so I speak my mind. You can't trust atoms because they make up everything.

Ulfarus
x2

Post by Ulfarus » Thu, 16. Jan 14, 22:47

I would have paid for an upgraded version of X3 with :

Lots more systems
A living and working economy
Better station construction
Enhanced graphics (not essential)
Better AI
Real race conflicts
A decent Missions system
An in depth faction system with reputation meaning something
A better interface for late game
Multithreading, most of us have multi core systems now

No mini games, these even if entertaining the first time become laborious
No compulsory walking around ships/stations (if your going to do this you have to at east equal mass effect 1/2, otherwise don't bother and I found all the walking in mass effect tedious after a while).

I didn't buy Rebirth as I knew it wasn't going to give the above.

The problem is I don't think Egosoft possess the talent to achieve most of the things listed above. They may have just about improved the graphics but that is it.

Akeela

Post by Akeela » Thu, 16. Jan 14, 22:55

I am going to have to say at this point, very little. I would almost certainly wait 6 months following its release to make sure I hear whether or not it actually contains the stuff that was promised prior to release. Even then, I might wait until its in the under $10 section on a Steam sale before buying, just to recoup my losses.

Egosoft has burned their goodwill with me. They can spew promises now until the cows come home, but I would want to see results. They clearly misrepresented the game to make a quick cash grab and I feel pretty well cheated out of my money since the game is basically scrap still.

Egosoft still owes me a $50 game. When I get that in hand, they I might reconsider my position. Until then... I doubt they will see another dime from me. I think I would rather another company come in and fill the empty niche in the space trading economic simulator genre first. I no longer feel ES to be a trustworthy company.

bugatti
x3ap

Re: What would you pay for a real X4?

Post by bugatti » Thu, 16. Jan 14, 23:02

stevembrown wrote:What I want to know is this... What would you pay for a real X4 game in good working playable condition?
nothing, cause i buyed a not working XR, so X4 must be free

ghostpilot
x2

Post by ghostpilot » Thu, 16. Jan 14, 23:04

TinkerToy wrote:If it gets good reviews and player scores, I'd pay normal price for it. But I'd never consider pre-ordering another ES game.

It's highly unlikely that Egosoft will ever make an "X4". Most probably they will quietly morph XR into something closer to what X4 would have been, all the while denying that they are doing so. But that will take years.

I still believe they are trying for a simplified mass-appeal game, using the X-game lore, and I believe that will be their focus for the next few years.
They cant focus on that for the next few years, because they are probably closing doors in 1 and half years due to low sales and no more money. Bernd or some other members may then atempt a X4 kickstarter or early acces and probably fail miserable.

Grambambuli
x2

Post by Grambambuli » Fri, 17. Jan 14, 00:00

ghostpilot wrote:
TinkerToy wrote:If it gets good reviews and player scores, I'd pay normal price for it. But I'd never consider pre-ordering another ES game.

They cant focus on that for the next few years, because they are probably closing doors in 1 and half years due to low sales and no more money. Bernd or some other members may then atempt a X4 kickstarter or early acces and probably fail miserable.
You hope that from the bottom of your heart, right? They made a game you don't like and now they deserve to lose their jobs and rot in hell. Won't happen, sorry.;)

leecarter
x3tc

Post by leecarter » Fri, 17. Jan 14, 00:49

Speaking hypothetically...

If ES actually made an X4 as it's being described in the other posts in this thread, they would have totally redeemed themselves in my eyes and I'd happily drop $80, or maybe more, for it because I would surely get hundreds upon hundreds of hours out of it.

But that's hypothetically speaking. Realistically speaking, I don't believe that will ever happen at this point. I'm skeptical they have the resources or even the desire to create a true X4.

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Fri, 17. Jan 14, 01:01

I will not pay anything nor ask for X4, X1000 or whatever... Because that will distract ES guys from the task I expect them to be doing...

...Which is finishing the early access "priviledge" I bought.

Once it's done I may spend time checking if it's "X4" or something else...

...For now it's just a bunch of half completed untested scripts running into a Beta-state Graphical Engine, with a lot of incoherent gameplay decissions that fight against each other disturbing any kind of "common theme" a decently finished game always show.

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Fri, 17. Jan 14, 02:35

I would not preorder, and wait for reviews, player reviews etc. Then maybe I would purchase it if It gets good reviews and stuff. If I'm still not mad at ES by that time, and the other games in the genre failed (Limit Theory, Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, etc)... So there are a few conditions there...

ES lost what trust I had in them with XR, and they have not done anything to try to regain it...
dzhedzho wrote:Trade - insults with other community members, or tips how to improve performance
Fight - with steam for refund, or the overwhelming feeling of hopelessness
Build - your patience and knowledge of xml save editing.
Think - before you preorder next time

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Fri, 17. Jan 14, 03:56

Nanook wrote:Darn! I guess I'll have to edit that in. :lol:
So, Ego outdid themselves in creating crappy minigames in XR? :grin: I thought they were at their peak in X3 Reunion and wound it down to a manageable level in TC/AP that even made the main plot playable back then?
Grambambuli wrote: You hope that from the bottom of your heart, right? They made a game you don't like and now they deserve to lose their jobs and rot in hell. Won't happen, sorry.;)
Never say never :P

dark_matter_mobius

Post by dark_matter_mobius » Fri, 17. Jan 14, 06:21

Promethium wrote:Egosoft isn't getting another penny of my money.

Ego manipulated and tricked their fanbase into buying a product they knew was broken and incomplete. Just look at how vague the trailers are in showing actual gameplay. They can **** right off.
Almost every single X game has entered the market in an 'alpha'/Beta stage of production, but they do deliver. If you are part of that fanbase (if you entered the series, at any other point), then you know what to expect, and either support Egosoft or wait til they give the product the polish it deserves. *Goes and looks up patches for X3*. Around patch 1.5 to 2.0, I'll bet Rebirth will be out of alpha.

The people that should be ticked aren't the fans, but those who are just getting acquainted with Egosoft and the way they work. Buying X Rebirth early should grant you a free copy of one of their early games as compensation, "Here go play this, while we actually fix the game you paid for."

I do think they should start labelling their products as alphafunded as they initially hit the market (I have said it elsewhere). It would be more honest, would attract more support, and get more clients in the long run.

dubnium
x3tc

Post by dubnium » Fri, 17. Jan 14, 09:59

dark_matter_mobius wrote:
Promethium wrote:Egosoft isn't getting another penny of my money.

Ego manipulated and tricked their fanbase into buying a product they knew was broken and incomplete. Just look at how vague the trailers are in showing actual gameplay. They can **** right off.
Almost every single X game has entered the market in an 'alpha'/Beta stage of production, but they do deliver. If you are part of that fanbase (if you entered the series, at any other point), then you know what to expect, and either support Egosoft or wait til they give the product the polish it deserves. *Goes and looks up patches for X3*. Around patch 1.5 to 2.0, I'll bet Rebirth will be out of alpha.

The people that should be ticked aren't the fans, but those who are just getting acquainted with Egosoft and the way they work. Buying X Rebirth early should grant you a free copy of one of their early games as compensation, "Here go play this, while we actually fix the game you paid for."

I do think they should start labelling their products as alphafunded as they initially hit the market (I have said it elsewhere). It would be more honest, would attract more support, and get more clients in the long run.
previous x games had a good game partially obscured by bugs at launch, rebirth is quite simply a bad game that is made worse by bugs. fixing the bugs won't change the real problem with rebirth.
thedesertwolf wrote:On the Twelfth patch of X-mass Egosoft gave to me Twelve broken promises, Eleven layers of menus, 10 bad design decisions, nine lines of terrible dialogue, Eight non-functional capitals, seven squatting grandmas, six strange memory leaks, A promised Targeting feature still in development, four misconstrued UI decisions, three unstable stations, two attempts to fix trading and a broken game in a pear tree.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”